Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FF Tail Wag

Ok, today I ran a few batteries in the 500 3gx and got a pretty severe tail hunt or wag during fast forward flight at one point. Not all the time but I happen to be moving fairly fast forward at the time when it started to wag hard. It also wags pretty hard in a hover after a quick 90 degree rudder move and then stop the movement. I'm set at about 2 degrees in rate mode and can hover pretty well without inputs. There's no binding and the rod moves nice a smooth. I also tried some tail slides into a flip and the tail didn't blow out.

I don't know where to start TOTAL GAIN, LOCK GAIN or STOP GAIN. I appreciate any help.
Bflat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Posting your rudder settings would help but normally the tail gain is to high and or the delay is set wrong. Try to setup the tail again but make sure you in RM going into setup and when you get to the delay just leave the stick centered. It works better than going in, in HH.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

hunting is commonly caused by gyro gain being too high. once you establish gain in a hover, the next step is to fine tune it by loading it, which can be done a number of ways, FF being one of them. back it down a few % until it tracks without wagging. adjustments should be made on the radio, not the software.
koppterx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys, attached are the software settings and like I said, DX7 is a 80. I'll go through the setup again in Rate Mode and tomorrow will try lowering the gain in the TX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruddr Param.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	293312  
Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's wierd but if you set the delay while linked and you go into tail gyro setup while your in HH the delay is high until you move the rudder back the other direction from the last limit learned but go into it while in RM just letting the stick back to center gets it about as low as it will get.
What's the delay in the settings screen?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You were right again! Just got back from flying out 3 batteries and what a difference. I went through the setup as suggested in rate mode first then I dropped the gain in the TX down to 75 and still had a little wag after quick stops and then went down to 73 - She's locked and loaded. Quick stops, fast forward, tail slides I gave all I could and all held awesome.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad007 View Post
Posting your rudder settings would help but normally the tail gain is to high and or the delay is set wrong. Try to setup the tail again but make sure you in RM going into setup and when you get to the delay just leave the stick centered. It works better than going in, in HH.
What do you mean when you get to the delay?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
RCTada is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's an explanation and how to from Align on the Delay setting. A slower rudder servo can cause wag after a piro stop. I'm not sure how they compare to other servos but I'm running a Futaba S9650 on the tail. Mine also did the wag during a fast forward flight as well but lowering the gain in the TX and going through the tail setup in rate mode did the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delay.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	293870  
Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTada View Post
What do you mean when you get to the delay?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Link up and check it for yourself. Align says centered is no delay but if you go into rudder setup while in HH the delay is high even with the stick centered. For some reason the delay follows the slider movement just like if it was setting on the bench in HH, the slider travels and stays vers recentering in RM
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
Here's an explanation and how to from Align on the Delay setting. A slower rudder servo can cause wag after a piro stop. I'm not sure how they compare to other servos but I'm running a Futaba S9650 on the tail. Mine also did the wag during a fast forward flight as well but lowering the gain in the TX and going through the tail setup in rate mode did the job.
9650 is ok but it's consider a slow servo for the tail, it's only .11 @ 6.0v. That's to slow. Get a DS 520, .07 @ 6.0v and doesn't need a step down reg.
The 9650 is a great cyclic servo.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad007 View Post
9650 is ok but it's consider a slow servo for the tail, it's only .11 @ 6.0v. That's to slow. Get a DS 520, .07 @ 6.0v and doesn't need a step down reg.
The 9650 is a great cyclic servo.
9650 is working fine for me right now. I'm just starting to do minor backward moves and I don't do a lot of rudder moves such as piro flips and the like. I never used a step down with my 500 and the 9650 as I have the BEC set to 6v. Is that not OK?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

it's best to keep some perspective when comparing servo speeds. what can be measured doesn't always translate into what can be felt. the difference in question is 1/25 of a second, and that would be at full 60 degrees of travel, and in reality we only need a fraction of that. i have a 9650 on the tail of my 500 and much faster servos on my larger helis, but it would take someone other than me to claim that he could tell the difference.

I don't use a step down on my 500.
koppterx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterx View Post
it's best to keep some perspective when comparing servo speeds. what can be measured doesn't always translate into what can be felt. the difference in question is 1/25 of a second, and that would be at full 60 degrees of travel, and in reality we only need a fraction of that. i have a 9650 on the tail of my 500 and much faster servos on my larger helis, but it would take someone other than me to claim that he could tell the difference.

I don't use a step down on my 500.
Very good point. And I guess that's what I was trying to say in regards to the level of flying I'm doing. And I guess as long as this servo is rated to run at 6v, I'm good to go without a step down. I've been flying it like that for about 2 years now with no issues (other than my 3gx settings). Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in