Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui 200 md500 scale 5 blade heat issues Help

Hi guys need some help.
I just got a new gaui 200 5 blade md500 Hughes body heli. It has 5600kv motor 18a esc. I assume the rest is stock.
We have just tried a few batteries. 2s and 3s not sure what to run. We just got a normal stock curve have not program any flat lines. We test fly it with a 2s batt. After 1 min the esc is very warm motor slight warm but man does it suck down the battery fast. Using a1000mah we only get like 2 min then we saw the esc brown out go off and back on. So tried a 3s does not do much different. There no way we get 3 min out of this what are we doing wrong ?

Head speed is good enought to lift but is there a lower head speed limit where we are heating up? I am not sure what to try and do not know if there even a issue with the heli or do I have the radio head speed wrong. Please advise if you got one and know what we're doing wrong.
Please list battery and flight times you get on this setup?
Battery cells what's best for cool running 2 or 2 and what size mah?
Hope to here from done of you I really want to fly this beautiful bird. Thx Tom
7hvman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

the kit you have comes with a 15 tooth motor pinion i believe. this is perfect for your motor and 2 blades but useless for the 5 blade head. mine flies with a 10 tooth pinion. I must give you some further advice but first let me list my setup in detail as its a bitch to get the right setup.

10 tooth pinion
Gaui 5300 KV mounted in the front for CoG
15 tooth Gaui X2 tail pulley, bobby watts tail blade hub, X2 45mm Tail blades. This is the only way to get the extra tail thrust needed that I could find.
Hyperion 1300mah 2 cell lipo. this gets the CoG perfect. 3 cells is waaaay to high for that motor, even with a 10 tooth pinion.

A stock 200 FES would usually run a flat 80 to 85 throttle with that motor and 2 cells and a 15 tooth pinion, so with more than double the lift with a 5 blade head even the 10 tooth is a little high. So you are simply overloading the motor. I run a flat 55 to 60 throttle after making sure the ESC is in fixed mode and not auto calibrating. If its in auto, most esc's reach max rpm very low and makes programming heli curves difficult.

My flight times are about 5 mins with plenty left.

I assume you've read the other thread about this heli and the troublesome primary belts and have likely worn your own belt out, so I strongly recommend you do the direct drive tail mod shown on that thread. When done, the heli is awesome.

Best regards,Allan
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should add that i had the parts to do the tail but it would probably be easier to fit the whole bobby watts tail and buy the 45mm blades, which need a little sanding at the root to fit. I didn't post my pitch curve either, its a straight line on the TX from -4 degrees to +11.

another way of getting 15 teeth on the tail pulley is to remove the pulley from the shaft of an X2 one and loctite it onto a 200 pulley. they are only pressed on, albeit very well.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi alfonso,

Did you have a direct link to direct drive tail mod?
milliotseb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in