Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good T/P Curve for CP Beginner (Nano/Micro)

Hello-
I was thinking this would be a good T/P curve for a CP beginner. The idea is that the head would spool up gradually, because if it spools up too suddenly, the heli might just fall over. (Note that my CP helis are the Nano CPX and mCPX BL.)

Also, the pitch at the beginning is slightly negative, and stays constant for a bit through the curve, then gradually goes positive.

Back to throttle, after a bit of gradual spool-up, the throttle goes up to 100% and stays there.

So it's something like this:

Throttle:
0-5-20-50-100-100

Pitch:
40-40-45-50-55-60

During flight, you would normally be in the upper stick area, so you get that 100% throttle and high head speed.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but I was just wondering if these ideas make any sense. Thanks.
-Scott V.
ScottVal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This would be better.
Normal mode

First you need zero pitch at mid stick. 0 25 50 75 100 pitch curve!

Then

Throttle 0 40 100 100 100

Pitch 40 40 65 75 100

Tame the Aileron and Elevator DR and add some Expo.

Check out
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=596574

Hope this helps.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think you would get off the ground. I think you might be overthinking this. Assuming you are using a Spektrum radio, I would set your low-end pitch to maybe 30-35 and your high-end pitch to like 85-90. Then, set the other points to where you get a pretty straight diagonal line between the low and high point. For throttle, you might want a "V" curve... something like 90-82-74-82-90. My MCPX has a little bit of a slow start but does jerk around some. If you want to manage your own slow start, I guess you could do something like 0-20-40-60-80 in IU0. Spool-up in IU0 and then flip to IU1 that has your "V" curve. Just make sure you flip to IU1 when you are around mid-stick. If you wait until your throttle stick is tear the top, the heli will take-off immediately when you flip to IU1.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not the first time I've been accused of over thinking!
I just tried this on my Nano, and I like it:
Throttle: 0 15 100 100 100
Pitch: 45 45 45 72 100

I like it because:
- The low-end of throttle gives you a nice, gradual spool up,
- The slightly negative pitch keeps you firmly on the ground while you spool up, and will give you a way to get down quickly if you need to,
- The upper half of the throttle curve gives you max head speed, which I think is what CP is all about,
- The upper half of pitch gets you gradually all the way up to 100%, in case you need it.

Note that my Nano currently has a brushed motor in it, so you really don't get that much head speed. I'll probably try a similar T/P with my mCPXBL.

I think the T/P curves given in the booklet which comes with the heli is probably meant for 3D, and if you are a beginner to CP, or just want to fly sport or scale, something different is warranted.
-Scott V.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVal View Post
Not the first time I've been accused of over thinking!
I just tried this on my Nano, and I like it:
Throttle: 0 15 100 100 100
Pitch: 45 45 45 72 100

I like it because:
- The low-end of throttle gives you a nice, gradual spool up,
- The slightly negative pitch keeps you firmly on the ground while you spool up, and will give you a way to get down quickly if you need to,
- The upper half of the throttle curve gives you max head speed, which I think is what CP is all about,
- The upper half of pitch gets you gradually all the way up to 100%, in case you need it.

Note that my Nano currently has a brushed motor in it, so you really don't get that much head speed. I'll probably try a similar T/P with my mCPXBL.

I think the T/P curves given in the booklet which comes with the heli is probably meant for 3D, and if you are a beginner to CP, or just want to fly sport or scale, something different is warranted.
-Scott V.
Your ideas for TC/PC are so far outside the norm for beginners that you'll have mounds of trouble moving forward to CP flight...

A linear pitch curve is generally preferred in every Flight Mode, and in Normal Mode you would be best served with a linear Throttle Curve...

In stunt modes (when you are ready) the muscle memory learned from the linear curve setups will translate well to a flat Throttle Curve

If control is your issue as a beginner, use Dual Rate and Expo to tame the heli...

You didn't pull 6 spark plug wires off the V8 during your learner permit driving days, did you?
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just tried this curve with my mCPX BL, and I think it worked well. I flew outside in my yard, in somewhat windy conditions (13 mph).

Throttle: 0 85 90 95 100
Pitch: 35 35 57 78 100

I think it works well for me, because the low-end of the throttle curve provides a spool-up, and also cuts the throttle when I bring the stick all the way down. Then, for all but the lowest part of the stick, I get a high head speed. I gradually apply more throttle as the pitch goes up, which makes sense to me. I'm not convinced that the relation between throttle and pitch is one-for-one, and I'd rather have a little too much head speed than too little. It would be cool to actually measure the rpm, but I don't have that capability. Ideally, I think I would want to keep the rpm's constant throughout the stick movement (except at the very bottom). On the other hand, having the head speed a little too high at mid-stick helps give me punch when I raise the stick.

I like the pitch curve, because it is slightly negative while the head is spooling up, and then, after I get a lot of head speed, it gradually goes up to 100%. It also enables me to get down quickly if I need to.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If all you ever plan to do is fly your micros, I guess it doesn't matter. If you plan on advancing to larger helis, your curves aren't good and lead to bad habits. Personally, I don't believe in linear throttle curves on CP helis because it is somewhat illogical to peg throttle to pitch on a CP heli, and I see no way it could make the bird easier to fly (probably more difficult). It does allow you to kill the throttle by pulling your throttle stick all the way down, which is a terrible habit to get into. A flat or "V" curve (a "V" curve is simply a modified flat curve to keep the rpm fairly constant) allows the pitch to manipulate the heli instead of some sort of odd pitch/throttle combination. Trying to wean a friend off linear throttle curves, I set-up an IU0 throttle curve for him for his newly acquired MCPX v2 of something like 0-82-74-82-90. This gave him the security blanket of having a zero throttle, but his flying is really in the 82-74-82-90 range (he does no inverted and no loops). In IU1, I increased the numbers a little and removed the leading zero... something like 95-87-79-87-95 so if he wants to get more daring, he can.

Your pitch curve is only allowing you to use 60% of your stick. If you made it more linear, you would be using your full stick. Something similar to what I suggested would make your collective more stable, would give you limited negative pitch, and would allow you to use your full left stick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in