Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4#3b or 4g3?

what is better the 4g3 or the 4#3b? I know that the 4#3b is brushless but is it better than the 4g3? And is 4g3 worth the money? I want to get a mini heli but don't know which model to get(money isn't an issue)
mxrider2637 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 4#3b is not brushless... there is a new brushless conversion kit that that you can buy pre-assembled on the heli. Take the brushless thing out the equation for a moment.

The 4#3b is a Fixed Pitch heli. it is small, and can easily be flown in a small room.
The 4G3 is a Collective Pitch heli. It is a bit bigger (actually, it is the blades that are mostly bigger), but is still quite small and can easily be flown in a mid-size room.

The 4G3 is capable of 3D, but you will need a bit more space (a two or three car garage would be good).

The 4G3 is now also being sold with the new 2801 Transmitter. This is a much better transmitter than the 2401 that comes with the 4#3B. It is programmable.

If money isn't an issue, go for the 4G3... If you don't have a lot of skill, you might want to start with the 4#3B as it is a bit less mechanically complicated.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I have started with Walkera 4#3B (brushless main motor, metal rotor head) with 2.4 GHz WK-2401 transmitter+2406A reveiver+WK-03-2 servo+WK-WST-10A-L ESC. http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=6648

I have also a Walkera 4G3 (V2 brushless main motor, metal rotor head) with 2.4 GHz WK-2801 transmitter+2605A receiver+WK-02-1 servo+WK-WST-10A-L ESC. I will start to use it soon. http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=6652

I have also PRE-Flight Walkera Edition simulator (where 4#3B and 4G3 is available as model in the sim) ordered (but not got it yet).

http://www.preflightsim.com/mainde.html

So that is my route.

/Bo
bossee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

[/quote]I have also PRE-Flight Walkera Edition simulator (where 4#3B and 4G3 is available as model in the sim) ordered (but not got it yet).

http://www.preflightsim.com/mainde.html

So that is my route.

/Bo[/quote]

Let us know what you thought of the Walkera Pre-Flight Sim. I didnt know it existed and have been puting off getting a 4g3 because I am a little afraid of it. I would definatly pull the trigger if she came with the Sim and I could crash a few times or practice some tricks with it before trying it on the real deal.

So ya how is your training plan going...I was debating on getting a 4#3 to practice on but it looks to easy and I really want to start with the 3ds but my only helis are Mosquitos, then a Milenium PTU, followed by a blade MCX (flown 4 packs a day for the last 3 months).

Last edited by Jibber Trigger; 02-22-2009 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: edit
Jibber Trigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was debating on getting a 4#3 to practice on but it looks to easy

You may think it looks easy but I guarantee you will not find it easy if all you have flown is a coax heli - they are easy to fly, single rotor helis are not, but they are great fun once you get the hang of it
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

My recommandation, start with a 4#3. I started with a 4G3, and was repairing it more then I was flying it. (Thinking the same as you, I want to go 3D, so why waste money on another less capable chopper ?)
I then got myself a 4#3Q, and found it is almost indestructable. I only replaced 1 pair of blades on it, and 1 motor (worn out).

I am doing most of my learning on it now, and today I could (finally) go out and do my first proper nose in hover.

The Mosquitos and Milenium PTU really don't count as single rotor, they are even easier to use then the MCX. If you think you learned something on them, forget it.
The 4G3 is a handfull, and requires a lot of understanding of aerodynamics, controls and engineering. And requires money for spare parts ( up to now, I replaced countless blades, 1 tail boom, plenty of blade connectors, 1 tail motor, 1 landing gear). First 10 days after opening the box for the very first time (and 5 seconds of flight), I was waiting for parts.

If I could start over again, I would get a 4#3B or Q first.

Don't misunderstand me, I love the 4G3 and open the box regularly to take it out for a hover. But my learning curve is much steeper now with the Q then it was with the 4G3. So I stick with that one for now.

whatever road you go, have fun.
jh71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Having just played with my 4g3 out of the box fresh today I now have remorse and wished I'd gone for the fixed pitch as an indoor micro heli one step up from a blade MCX.

What attracted me was the idea you can have variable pitch 3d capable and indoor fun, even if no 3d, but actually the 4g3 is much too touchy for me.

I can hover a 450 heli in a room much MUCH more easily than the 4g3.. I can hover or even do a circuit in the align 250 much more easily than the 4g3 (although the 250 blade speed is dangerous for indoors).. maybe my example is very poorly setup from the factory and I need to work hard on finding the reason? when I get it off the ground it slides around in a very unpredictable fashion, and not in any consistent direction either. but if it is fixable, I feel that one knock or tip-over will knock any balance to hell, all over again..

I don't want to bother with it outside, I have much nicer helis if I want to fly outside...
nyc863 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The smaller they are the twitchier they are... so it only reasons that the 4G3 would be super twitchy as it is by far the smallest collective pitch available. Try adding some weights to the flybars (a bit of solder wrapped around a few times works nice) to help tame it down.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

As I posted somewhere else, I cant find, I made this mistake already. You watch the videos, you see these birds hover dead straight in a tiny room and just when your getting tired, the pilot pulls it inverted 8'' above the TV set... The next thing you know, you have dreams of doing 3d while your in the bathroom...
Wake up! Its not happening..

I bought the 3G first thinking just that, and I was very frustrated as to how easy it is to crash to the point of needing parts. It was and is still, VERY hard to stay in a steady hover. Even takeoff itself needs some finness not learned in other heli practice.

Not being a bright guy, I then went out and got the 4#3B, the fixed pitch, instead of just selling it off as many do. I am very glad I did.. First off, the 4#3B is STILL a challenge to fly. You basically need to gun the throttle all the way to get out or ground interference and the fact that these all swing to the left on takeoff. Thats enough to deal with, let alone pitch... If you master the FP, when that time comes, we should have lazer CP you can control with your mind, so no need for the CP for a long while IMO.

The next surprising thing was that the 4#3B does not break anywhere as easy as the 4G. You can bounce it off the walls and ceilings with no effect. It takes a tail in crash to send you to the parts store. That is a HUGE plus for the 4#3B over the 4G. a hard landing on the rug and your at least needing some links and a a tune up on the 4G.

Trust me, Neither is an easy flier out of the box, its takes a knack that is fun yet challenging to learn. I am speaking coming from flying a 400 & 450 some. I cant imagine the difficulty incounterd coming from a coax heli.

Last pitch for the 4#3B? Size matters
Meaning these birds take a #000 screw driver and magnification to do adjustments or parts changes, and sometimes frames are the necessary change, so you will need lots of good vision and whiskey and you might as well pick the easier of the two. less adjustments needed means flight time with the B and more bench time with the G.

Good Luck with your choice
PittJitsu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Totally agree. I mean if you can 3D a 4G3 you should be the 3D Master. LOL But I still think they are good heli to practice especially the 4#3B as it is a more robust heli (compare to the 4G3). And I mean if you can fly these micro heli I think you can fly anything in this world. But it sure takes a very long time to get used to it.

Happy flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJitsu View Post
As I posted somewhere else, I cant find, I made this mistake already. You watch the videos, you see these hover dead straight in a tiny room and dreams of doing 3d while your in the bathroom come to mind.. Wake up! Its not happening.. I bought the 3G, and I was very frustrated as to how easy it is to crash to the point of needing parts.. Not being a bright guy, I then went out and got the 4#3B, the fixed pitch.. First off, it is STILL a challenge to fly. You basically need to gun the throttle all the way to get out or ground interference and the fact that these all swing to the left on takeoff. Thats enough to deal with, let alone pitch.
The next surprising thing was that the 4#3B does not break anywhere as easy as the 4G. You can bounce it off the walls and ceilings with no effect. It takes a tail in crash to send you to the parts store. That is a HUGE plus for the 4#3B over the 4G.

Trust me, this is no easy flier out of the box, either of them, its takes a knack that is fun yet challenging to learn. I am speaking from flying 450 trex. I cant imagine the difference your going to encounter coming from a coax heli.

Last pitch for the 4#3B? Size matters Meaning these birds take a #000 screw driver and magnification to do adjustments or parts changes, and sometimes frames are the necessary change, you will need lots of good vision and whiskey, so you might as well pick the easier of the two. You get way more flight time with the B and more bench time with the G.

Good Luck with your choice
ehirobo.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehirobo.com View Post
Totally agree. I mean if you can 3D a 4G3 you should be the 3D Master. LOL But I still think they are good heli to practice especially the 4#3B as it is a more robust heli (compare to the 4G3). And I mean if you can fly these micro heli I think you can fly anything in this world. But it sure takes a very long time to get used to it.

Happy flying!
Wow... Your that guy! Like speaking with the Wizzard of Heli!
after reading your screen name, I have an even better suggestion.. a Quark! Little bigger, but SO easy to fly, foam blades, outdoor capability with limited wind.
PittJitsu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in