Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Contest Flying

Contest Flying Contest Flying F3C/AMA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default F3N 2016

I'm getting into F3N so I thought it might be interesting to start a conversation around it.

I did my first F3N comp at the beginning of the year and choose some slow music, mid-difficulty sets and a very set-manoeuvre based freestyle round. I got about 78% of the winner's score, which I thought was pretty good.

There is another one in a few weeks and I'm picking some higher K factor moves this time.
1. Backwards rolling circle (K 9)
2. Two opposite piro funnels (K 10)
3. Vertical tictoc 8 (K 10.5)
4. Piro globe reversal (K 10)
5. Piro globe double reversed (K 10.5)
6. Galaxy (K 10.5)
7. Rolling circle reversal (K 9.5)
8. Piro rainbox X reversal (K 11.5)

I don't really like the Galaxy but I'm struggling to do the Double O One consistently. It might be a simple case of becoming more practised with some of the reversals so I'll keep trying.

Another thing I'm struggling with is flight time for the sets. The highest K factor moves are all fairly lengthy. I get about 5:30 at 2000 RPM, so I've had to choose quicker moves like the rolling circles to stay within that time.

I find the music round the most interesting, but also the hardest to get right. Generally the music rounds are just some cut together clips of varying pace. I did a single piece of music and although it was short (3:00) it was my highest scoring round at 80% of the top score.
I'm looking to do something a bit different again, but I'm running out of time.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did my first competition last month as I was saying in the other thread ,
we had an intermediates and a full F3N. I was in the full F3N and tried the following set maneuvers as well as 3-4freestyle and music flights. It was quite windy and my first time to even see a competition in real life, so my main goal was not to crash

1) 3 pirouetting flips 8?
2) B.2 Double O One 10.0
3) B.1 Two Opposite Piro Funnels 10.0
4) B.5 Galaxy 10.5
5) B.8 Funnel with half rolls and pirouettes 10.0
6) 28) Deus Igloo 9.5
7) B.7 Vertical tic-toc eight 10.5
8) 29) Piro X Reversal

Found out the day before that I was doing two big things wrong in the set maneuvers - that's the problem with flying by yourself/not being able to get out much in real life.

I was thinking about picking just one track for the music too haha! I ended up with two I had just about got it memorised and then nerves and tiredness on the day made it escape through my ears and fly away , but apparently the judges didn't notice all the made up bits(so they said).

Freestyle was a bit too fussy with little tricks with me :/ :/ not sure what to do with it to be honest. A re-read of the rules is probably in order. Would you loose some points for doing set maneuver-like moves or would that only be if you copied a set maneuver exactly, or does that even matter??

Hey about your battery life- what about having a lower headspeed to click into right after each maneuver?

Re the double o one: I'm definately not claiming to be great at it but yeah, what you said, with reps it starts to get easier. Theres soo much to think about in that maneuver constantly so some of it really needs to go into muscle memory or you know, subconscious flying. I believe it was the baby of Jacob Grimm Hansen (this was one of the maneuvers I was doing wrong, so had to learn the right way on the sim the night before, luckily it wasn't a HUGE effort to convert to the proper move).

Cheers from another F3N pilot
Old 06-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

From my understanding of this video, the FS round should just be the most difficult manoeuvres you can do. Don't repeat anything from the SM round, this should be the max of your ability, with less importance on precision.
However, each move should still be recognizable and complete.
(obviously I've only done 1 comp, so maybe I'm wrong)

You've got some high K manoeuvres in there, better than me. I tried the Duus a few times, but it just seems like a nasty move, easy to get wrong. I think they reduced the K as well, so I don't think I'll bother practicing it.

I think switching flight modes during the round might be something extra to forget. I'll keep practicing and see how things evolve.

Cheers

This was my flight to music routine. Kind of quirky, but seemed to score OK. Definitely looking to doing something a bit better next time.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

cool))
What did you use to put that recording up on youtube?
I've just been on Next for the past few weeks and don't know how to get the recordings out of there. Is it possible? or do i have to use Fraps or something?
Old 07-01-2016, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bandicam. Next doesn't have video recording built in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in