Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Jotto's helicopter winter flying guide

You may not have noticed, but winter is here. Actually it has been here for a while.

From time to time there are questions here about flying helicopters in the winter. I have published a little web page with some tips and tricks for winter flying at Jotto's helicopter winter flying guide:

http://www.jotto.no/heliwinter/

Feel free to comment, ask, and contribute with your favourite winter flying tips in this thread!

Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

very nice write up ! it will help alot of people out! so your in norway, so you do know what you are talking about. well happy flying
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing that helps is fire
I know, your calling me a pyromaniac, but honest I still have to learn how to do piroflips.

When I fly in the city I use a propane radiant heater, the kind that sits on top of a propane tank. Just set it in front of me and it keeps me quite warm. When we go out to the farm on the weekends I start a small fire in the middle of the field and stand near that when the need to warm up occurs.

Just my .02
artski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is great as I am getting back into flying and the temp is dropping. Any other recommendations on the tx mitts- they seem to vary a lot in cost.
T-Rex 500ESP, GY401/9257, 6s 3000mAh 100% Flat TC X9303; Nano CPS
EVBmcx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I'll stick to putting up with the insects.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool write up and tips. Thanks for sharing
air2bmc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll tell you what I do.

I leave the boom clamp bolts loose until ready to go to the field. When I get to the field I set the helicopter outside and let it acclimate. I adjust the belt tension and pull the rx pack out of my pocket and install it. I grab my handy Bernzomatic butane mini torch and preheat the head. Fire up the helicopter and let it idle in t-hold while installing the canopy. Fly my brains out. I use my trusty Mittmaster 3000 (do a search).

DISCLAIMER: Be VERY careful if you use a mini torch. You can't see the flame in daylight, it is very hot and very easy to heat the wrong things. Don't use your helicopter as the first thing you try a mini torch out on. It isn't rocket science, just use care and sense.

Wind is the enemy, it saps the heat out of you even when bundled up. I avoid anything over a few mph, not worth it.

Be careful of sunburn. It happens even on the coldest days.

Wear really good sunglasses with good uv protection, that reflected sunlight will get you. See above.

Try to not fly alone. The only thing worse than a serious injury is a serious injury in cold temps. You won't win extra points for Most Awesomest Knucklehead by flying alone. Besides, it's more fun to complain about the cold when you have other people to complain with. If you must fly alone, let someone know where you are and about how long you'll be. That way they can find the frozen corpse more quickly.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBmcx View Post
This is great as I am getting back into flying and the temp is dropping. Any other recommendations on the tx mitts- they seem to vary a lot in cost.
The HobbyCity one is far cheaper, but it also seems to me like it's not insulated. Moreover, it doesn't have the nice sleeves. I haven't tried it myself, but a friend of mine has one. He says it's fine for chilly autumn days as it protects your hands from cold wind. It doesn't warm as much during cold winter days, however.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Jotto,
I 'm Rob from holland and i fly (try) a Vario Benzin trainer with a 23cc gas 2 stroke motor. It's beautiful that people all around the world fly rc heli's. I started with this hobby only 3 months ago and wish i discovered it earlier.

I 'm a beginner and when i read your story about the temperatures there in Norway i feel al little bit ashamed to say that i got cold hands when it was plus 2 degrees celcius. But i think youre used to it. Thanks for the tips and keep flying.....

Gr. Rob Tweak.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

or....you could follow my guide to winter, load a few cold ones into the esky, shorts' t-shirt, beach (sandals, sunnies and cream)......err, I think that's it!
perrypoint likes this.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Warm gloves are for pussies
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

actually I think warm underwear is but you make your point well! lol
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does anyone fly using regular gloves instead of a TX "glove"? I went flying the other day at about 0 Celsius and I did get cold fingers without gloves . I don't feel like getting a TX glove and would rather fly using some high quality flexible gloves.. so I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the same and what the experiences are.
HeliShredder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice and informative writeup Jotto. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliShredder View Post
Does anyone fly using regular gloves instead of a TX "glove"? I went flying the other day at about 0 Celsius and I did get cold fingers without gloves . I don't feel like getting a TX glove and would rather fly using some high quality flexible gloves.. so I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the same and what the experiences are.

I have used these gloves (Under Armour Cold gear Gloves) for quite a while now while at the shooting range. I have not yet used them for flying, but I don't see it being an issue. "REI" has an awesome selection of cold weather gear, as well as other things.

http://www.rei.com/

T-Rex 700F3C / T-Rex 450 Pro / Blade mCPX / Blade mSR / Blade mCX / Walkera 53Q3
JR X9503 /
Spektrum DX7
Phoenix Sim
Bri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried gloves some time ago, but it didn't work for me. Try it with a simulator first -- that's how I got used to the Raydiowarm!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the tips, Jotto!

Keeping your feet warm should be a priority as well. It really helps with staying comfortable so you can focus on flying. I've found the wool socks over cotton socks inside leather boots works great until the temperature gets down to 0F or so. Below 0F insulated footwear is a must.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

About the only thing I can add is if you are using gloves.
If you take your gloves off, put them somewhere warm. Then you don't have to reheat them.
If you always get cold hands, consider using two pairs of gloves. Keep the second set in a warm place until you need them. Then swap them out.

Wear layers so you don't get too warm and avoid cotton.
To me, this forum is about the love of flying R/C helicopters. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of heli, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Respect one another, Try to pass on accurate information. Fly safe.
AverageJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good info Jotto. Thanks.
oldsb42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwhite22 View Post
Keeping your feet warm should be a priority as well. It really helps with staying comfortable so you can focus on flying. I've found the wool socks over cotton socks inside leather boots works great until the temperature gets down to 0F or so. Below 0F insulated footwear is a must.
Yep, keeping your feet warm is important! You should avoid cotton, though. Use wool as your inner wear. Two reasons for that:
  • Wool will absorb sweat. Cotton will just get wet and damn cold if you sweat and then start freezing
  • The wool will perhaps itch a little.That increases blood flow to your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
About the only thing I can add is if you are using gloves.
If you take your gloves off, put them somewhere warm. Then you don't have to reheat them.
If you always get cold hands, consider using two pairs of gloves. Keep the second set in a warm place until you need them. Then swap them out.
Good point. I also like having small disposable heat bags in my gloves. They don't get very hot, but warm enough to maintain the temperature in the gloves when I take them off.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I thought I was about as hard-core as they come, but I'm a baby compared to you. I just cannot bring myself to go out in the bitter cold to fly. I hate the cold. I hate when my cheeks get cold. I hate how cold finds every gap in your clothing and sneaks in. I hate cold fingers. I hate never being comfortable, either cold when you set still or sweating when you start to move. I HATE COLD. Too many cold winters in the Army, stationed in Germany, I guess.

With that said, I just got my new snow pants from Cabela's, so I think I will give a whirl this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in