Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldar View Post
Yep...sadly you are correct. I'm just gonna have to man up and get out there with 10 -15's. My gripe is wanting to try out new stuff (tiny stuff) in a timely manner, but having to wait on the mother nature blow-hards to calm down.
once flying in the wind is somethin you do enough than you will feel comfortable trying new stuff on windy days

just take it really easy in the wind till you are comfortable, and remember forward flight is allot easier than hovering in the wind, as long as its moving its not all that bad, some times landing sucks a little depending on the size of your bird and how bad the wind is blowing.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't hate me for my little heli but i have a xieda9958. And it cuts into the wind like a knife and i live in Oklahoma ya know were the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
But it does great.
MASTER OF PUPPETS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have flown the 450 and a 600 and a 700 all in wind. I will say this, I hate that wind, specially when it blows my hair in my face while I am flying. But back to helicopters, I have noticed that the 600 and the 700 do not get bounced around near as much, however where I am from, the wind is not constant, it is very gusty. I find a constant wind pretty easy to fly in, I find flying in gusty wind to be a royal pain in the hiney. Even on my 700 if the wind is mild there is no difference but when it goes from 5 to 10 constant, and then to 35 then back to 5 it gets very annoying. But for the most part I hate the wind also.
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
We'll have to meet up some day so you can teach me a few things.

Sounds good...PM me and we'll go flying. Though I will say I've got some work I have to do first...3 birds that need to get in the air.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Wind is the invisible barrier between the ground and the air where our helis belong... As you progress you will find that the airplane guys are grounded and helis beat it into submission
rovpilot26 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Although my rant was not meant for such, you all have made me less intimidated by the wind. I think I will view it in a different light now. Still don't like it, but "ain't skeered" either.
Keldar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Although my rant was not meant for such, you all have made me less intimidated by the wind. I think I will view it in a different light now. Still don't like, but "ain't skeered".
i don't like it either. buy hey, i want to fly.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

wait till you show up at the field with the plank guys. You've got 20-30MPH winds and they won't fly...But you can.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanh View Post
wait till you show up at the field with the plank guys. You've got 20-30MPH winds and they won't fly...But you can.
Those woossy plankers. Even the mcpx can take that.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I tried too. My "new" (used) MCPX 2 is an unknown quantity at this point. And my 120 SR managed to break an aluminum landing skid while checking out my "new" (used) Dx6i.

Texas Gulf Coast winds.....blow someone else, will ya? I'm not enjoying your services!
Not sure if I would try the 120 SR in the wind. The MCPX should be able to handle it but with some heavier wind you better know how to fly it. In the wind its not really a beginner heli and jumps more scary then larger birds.

If your house is to small for flying this stuff get a little larger heli since that will be more stable and easier to learn flying in the wind.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #31 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but I might suggest if you don't already have one that you get a sim to help learn too.

With flying in the winds a lot of the helos you can get will be able to do this better once you know how to compensate or that and for a lot of the good sims you can set up winds and variable ones too and as such, this can help you get somewhat used to this...and in the sim where you don't have to worry so much about doing any damage when you don't get it right.

Plus you can fly on it any time you want so you can get a lot more time on the sticks.

For sure the lift thing that comes into play doesn't seem to be reproduced in the sims to well but still, over all, it should help.

Just to mention it, I took my 120SR to the field this Sunday and we had some good winds up with gusts up around 15 mph I would guess and I was able to fly it in those.

Just a matter of getting a feel for the compensation of attitudes and power regulations needed for it and it becomes a lot more possible.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

i live on long island, if i didn,t fly in the wind, i,d only have early mornings to fly. by 10am the wind is rising.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flying in the wind can be a lot of fun! Within reason though... Insanely fast knife edge flying is fun, and those giant loops, when you haul ass into the wind and pull up... nothing like a good 500ft loop. It’s fun on occasion.

I stay in when it’s above 25mph. I have flown in 35mph gusts with the 50, but wasn’t fun. Around 15mph is the norm in these parts, so you get used to it.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

if the wind blows more than 15mph the 600 class FBL comes out
it's like the honey badger, "it doesn'y give a s**t"
Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wind is great, keeps the plankers home from the field.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by latte View Post
Wind is great, keeps the plankers home from the field.
My experience is they still show up and bitch about it until it goes away.. ..then they're so worn out from bitching they fly once and then go home
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was practicing hovering inverted in the wind a few weeks ago. Wind was 15 to 20 mph and I was flying my 450. Wind you scare the crap out of me, now not so much.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I apologize to you sailors and kite flyers, but wind is really pretty much good for nuthin'. Yes there is the windmill thing, so tree huggers can back off. Otherwise, in the context of this website.......wind can go away!

When I see trees moving, I get very angry....Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" angry. It is very hard to check out a newly arrived Helifreak marketplace purchase when the worthless trees are swinging due to the diabolical winds.
Yeah, I had just posted in the "SO who flew this weekend" thread, almost the same thing....wind...wind..wind. I'm trying to fly in it anyway.. but usually wind up hovering and doing some orientation stuff until a gust scares the heck out of me.
BUT... the National Weather forcasts looks like 2~5 mph winds for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.. and my wife and kids are gone on Vacation as of Wed....sooooo..
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I apologize to you sailors and kite flyers, but wind is really pretty much good for nuthin'. Yes there is the windmill thing, so tree huggers can back off. Otherwise, in the context of this website.......wind can go away!

When I see trees moving, I get very angry....Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" angry. It is very hard to check out a newly arrived Helifreak marketplace purchase when the worthless trees are swinging due to the diabolical winds.
welcome to Texas..
this is why we fly 700s wind up to 30+ doesn't phase them.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't learn to fly with wind, you fly never in my country.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in