Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion > KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450

KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450 KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile KDS 450SV Flybarless Conversion

Hi, Does anyone had converted KDS450SV to Flybarless Head?
I was told Tarot Tarot 450 FBL Head for Align 450 type may fit.
Please do advise .

wifigirls is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default This might work

I am pretty sure you can use the Innova 450SD parts to change out the head to flybarless. Someone else can double check my math on this, but you can look into the following for the conversion. I make no promises that this will work, but I think it will.

Name and part number:

Head - 1142-72-SD
Arms - 1024-72-SD
Links - 1024-73-SD
Holder - 1065-SD
and KDS EBAR Flybarless system.

The above should allow you to remove the SV flybar system while keeping the swash and main shaft, then do a swap over to the new parts. Again, someone else can double check me to ensure that I've not missed anything vital.

Good luck, Dave
BaconWrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default KDS 450SV Flybarless Conversion

Thanks BaconWarp For The Tips, I'll look the mention parts.
Thank You.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I converted my KDS450C to a tarot fbl head and 3 axis gyro. its not a beastx in anyform but it flies quite well actually. Even in higher winds that I would normally fly a 450 in... if it will use a trex mainshaft then it will fit ...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you GhostFlyer1 for your advise, So i would need to replace Trex mainshaft to attach the Tarot FBL Head. What about the main gear? Do i have to purchase the main gear too?
Thanks for the good advise.
You have a Great Weekend. Cheers
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default well

Well, I wanted to see what this would look like and now have some additional parts on order to complete it. Got the parts from kanddrc.com
Here is the Innova 450SD flybarless head partially installed. I need a feathering shaft to complete the conversion of the head. Only part I missed in my list was you do need to buy two or find two ball links for the wash out arms. So far so good. I will post more when the feathering shaft arrives, probably thurs of this week.

-Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-05_18-03-33_77(1).jpg
Views:	487
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	296189   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-05_18-11-53_851.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	296190  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let me rephrase what I said. I believe that yours is like mine on the mainshaft, which is a direct spin off of the Trex SE/SE V2 or non pro version. The Tarot head and the copterX head will fit on it... Everything else remains the same. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions I will send you pics to compare against. Make sure to pull the grips and grease the thrust bearings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifigirls View Post
Thank you GhostFlyer1 for your advise, So i would need to replace Trex mainshaft to attach the Tarot FBL Head. What about the main gear? Do i have to purchase the main gear too?
Thanks for the good advise.
You have a Great Weekend. Cheers
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Baconwrap.

On that 450 Innova is that a standard size main shaft or is it thicker ???
Some reason it looks a bit beefier than the standard 450 shafts ... may just be the pic and my eyes ...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same size, the shaft is a spare 450SV shaft I had sitting around from my second crash kit. Only non-KDS part of the head is the swash. Original feathering shaft got bent and didn't have one in my crash kit.
I really like the simplicity of the Innova 450 flybarless head. We'll see how it flies next week when I get the rest of the parts in.
Hope this doesn't count as hijacking this thread. But it is KDS 450SV related to flybarless conversion.
Incidentally, the tarot version of all this is about $27 - $36 that I could find online. KDS brand conversion cost me about $38 before shipping.
Me = Brand Loyal
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From the pictures you posted, I think I would go with the KDS head. Its just a clean looking unit. Let us know how smooth it is and how well it flies ...
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

KDS has a FBL conversion kit available for the 450 series, it comes with the ebar 3 axis gyro. It's not cheap!

I converted my SV over, Ive no regrets The shaft and main gear dont need changing, you only change the head (everything above the swash plate) and the gyro out. I've already had a few crashes and it survived way better than my old flybar setup ever did.

Flight is way more responsive, so if you havent flown FBL before I suggest you soften up your sticks with some expo, maybe -35% for starters. Also they say FBL helis need to be lifted of the deck quickly compared to a flybar setup, I personally don't agree but be warned anyway until you get competent with it.

Depends how much you can get the parts for to convert over, another option maybe is to buy a 450 Innova FBL in kit form, they come with everything, digital servos too. You only need a TX, battery and receiver

Thanks Allan
AllanHat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello AllanHat, welcome -
If I were in the market for a new 450 heli the KDS Innova 450BD is a really nice looking machine. It is belt drive flybarless with same specs as 450SD. If you folks have not already, check out the frame layout and servo placement. Really clean looking on the pictures and video and comes with the KDS EBAR.

I made a mistake in my parts list, a standard KDS 450SV feathering shaft doesn't seem to fit or at least I cannot make it fit - it is short. I've ordered a KDS 450Q, part # 1003Q, shaft and that should work according to the research I've done. Won't know until Sat or next Mon when parts arrive. So have to add another $4 to the conversion cost minus shipping.
I looked at the EBAR and I know it won some awards, but the cost is prohibitive for me at this moment. I ordered ZYX instead.
I am ending up with KDS brains on a Frankenheli build.

Are you following all of this wifigirls? Would still like to help you convert your SV if you're still reading the posts or have questions. <-- sound like a missionary, you must convert, save your heli's soul, convert now!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last of the parts arrived. Installed all but the ZYX, give that a go later today. Very simple and good looking flybarless head I think.
Total cost about $44 U.S. not including shipping or the ZYX. So a little bit more than a Tarot conversion. I will be replacing the existing swash with KDS at some point however. The KDS brand swash plate is superior to the one I have on there.
Couple pics posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-10_14-00-41_359.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	297523   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-10_14-00-48_987.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	297524   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-10_14-01-12_441.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	297525  
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi Guys, Thank you all for the input regarding the KDS 450SV FBL head conversion. I had finally put the Tarot Head into my KDS Heli.
The Tarot FBL head was a direct fit to stock KDS mainshaft. even the screw that secure the head is perfect align.
The only thing needed to be adjust is the push rod link to the blade holder need to twist almost fully shorten.
Am very happy with the result. I set it up with Tarot ZYX FBL Gyro. the only work needed to be complete is to fine tune the swash plate levering cos i dont have a pitch gauge yet.
I hope others that own a KDS 450sv who wants to convert FBL can go the Tarot way.
I am very sure you have no issue fitting it.
I will try to put up the picture soon as i have time.

meanwhile, Just want to Thank BaconWarp, GhostFlyer, for all that great info that help me complete this FBL conversion.

Many Thanks Bro.

Benny Wong
Singapore
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default KDS 450SV Flybarless Conversion

The above was my conversion for KDS450SV to a Flybarless System.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks awesome.
No EBAR? I also purchased a ZYX.
What are you using to program your ZYX?

-Dave
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hi Dave,
I am using the Tarot programming box.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flight test?

Its been a couple days, have you done a flight test yet?
I am curious how the ZYX performs on the KDS frame with the KDS swash and servos.
Also wondering what battery you are using, 20c or 25c? or other?

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

A KDS 450SV custom flybarless conversion/build in video here: http://heli-review.nl/kds-450sv-flybarless-custom/

Despite the fact it's in Dutch, you should be able to pretty much understand what's going on.
The head used in the video is a 450 CNC Pro FBL head.
JeremyT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in