Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tree 450L: Tail tilted against main shaft

Hi all

Just wanted to check if this is normal. It appears that my tail is a little tilted compared to the vertical main shaft plane. Is this how it's supposed to be? I can't rotate the tail any further to bring it inline due to the boom stops on the front and rear gearbox

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	612105  
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should be able to get it better than that. So if you loosen up the two screws that hold the tail (the ones in the vertical fin) it won't rotate any further?
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
You should be able to get it better than that. So if you loosen up the two screws that hold the tail (the ones in the vertical fin) it won't rotate any further?
Hm just tried again and it can't do it...
Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Something isn't right then... there should be enough rotational play in the front where the boom attaches to the body of the heli and in the back where the tail unit attaches to the boom. Booms are cheap enough that you should have a spare... try another boom... perhaps the cut-out and hole were not misaligned.
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The front of the boom is probably not all the way in. Sometimes it's tricky to get it all the way in. Just play with it.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on above advice. If you slacken off the clamp bolts at the boom mount and at the tail you should be able to rotate the tail to bring it into perfect alignment. If you can't then something strange is going on.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, have been trying to sort it out for a while but gave up - the tail is twisted as much as I could towards the right. Might try a new boom, the torque tube is getting a bit worn out so thats a good excuse!

The thing is that it does not affect flying in any way that I've noticed, it piros on a dime both left and right and does not drift in any way (upright) - maybe VBar is working overtime to compensate for it. Heli has over 80-90 flights on it, no crashes and it was like that since the get go.

Cant hover inverted yet so can't tell if it has any issues there but upright FFF, piros, backflips and hovering it handles them to perfection.

How do your 450's look like? Anyone with a 450L to check?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Loosen the boom block and the boom supports. The boom will rotate a lil bit. Then you can loosen the tail gear box enough to line it all up.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
Loosen the boom block and the boom supports. The boom will rotate a lil bit. Then you can loosen the tail gear box enough to line it all up.
He is right, this is the way to go, if It still doesn't go well try another boom as some people said here.
Jimini is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimini View Post
He is right, this is the way to go, if It still doesn't go well try another boom as some people said here.
Thank you everyone, I've ordered a new boom to try it out, along with some MIP screwdrivers as I've managed to strip all of the boom block screws! :S
Old 10-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol, whoops!

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a Dremel if you don't have one. The MIP are really good and worth the money.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sometimes once you loosen the block it still won't slide in. After you loosen the block pull the boom out. Put needle nose pliers in the block and open it a little bit. The boom will slide in easier at that point and lock in. We have all had the same problem I'm sure. Mine felt like it was in and flew ok but my tail just didn't seem locked in during backwards fast flight,
Old 10-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it flies fine I wouldn't worry about it. Next time you crash and bend the boom just replace it with the new one you ordered and see if it aligns better then.
Ph@cops is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

So parts arrived and managed to find some time for its bi-monthly maintenance

- Re-greased head & tail & replaced dampeners
- Replaced tail boom and torque tube, as it was a bit worn out,
- Removed the stripped screws (MIP is a life saver!)

It looks perfectly straight! Looking forward to testing it out hopefully over the weekend!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	612898  
Old 10-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph@cops View Post
If it flies fine I wouldn't worry about it. Next time you crash and bend the boom just replace it with the new one you ordered and see if it aligns better then.
I would say this is probably what I would do however I have lots of parts. If the torque tube is not seated completely in the gear you run the chance after hard rudder of slipping or stripping the inside of the gear which on the 450 spinning out of control sucks. With that said I would just fly it if the tail holds in fast reverse and piro flips.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajkat1073 View Post
I would say this is probably what I would do however I have lots of parts. If the torque tube is not seated completely in the gear you run the chance after hard rudder of slipping or stripping the inside of the gear which on the 450 spinning out of control sucks. With that said I would just fly it if the tail holds in fast reverse and piro flips.
Yeah thats what I thought as well - I was planning to strip down the heli for maintenance either way as it had about 100-130 flights and wanted to check the drive train for signs of wear and replace anything that might have had signs of stress on it, and while at it, it was a good opportunity to sort the boom alignment out too
Old 10-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am about to post quite a few parts for the 450L. I just sold mine and have lots of booms, torque tubes, main gears, shafts, toque gears front and back, landing gear white and yellow, fins same colors as landing gear, and some other parts. Let me know if you need anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in