Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default B450

I have some black residue on my main gear and after reading posts which suggested I take out the motor and check something. Anyways when I went to unscrew the screws one them just wouldn't budge so I applied ample amount of pressure til the screw striped at head. Any suggestions on how to remove this screw?
Califlyer818 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the exact same thing happen last night. There is a tremendous amount of threadlock and adhesive on that motor mount and screws and I stripped one of the screws holding the motor before I got more creative. On the one you haven't stripped, I had luck heating it with a soldering iron to break down the threadlock and then it came out with minimal force.

With regard to the screw that was stripped, someone may have a better suggestion that doesn't destroy the screw, but my solution was to take my dremel and cutting wheel and grind a slot into it to be able to use a larger flat head screwdriver to remove. Be careful doing this as the motor mount is pretty soft aluminum. I ground a slot into it, heated it with a soldering iron to break down the loctite and then was able to remove it with somewhat minimal force.

I had a spare hardware set for the heli that had 2 extra screws in it for the motor so I wasn't as worried about destroying one of the screws but I suspect you might not have a choice if it is stripped. It's a good thing to check it was a bearing that had seized on the shaft and was causing the residue. Good luck.
Chris Gardill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for that Chris next time I head to the Hobby store I like ask them, as I still to purchase new screws for it. so I will just fly it like this for the time being.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

All right, that does it. I'm starting yet another heli blog since so many reoccurring events and problems keep getting brought up. Might be too late for yours but I went to the hardware store and hobby shop for the real small stuff to invest in quality wrenches. I own a couple dremels and almost went drilling away but thought I'd try a different wrench set first and to my amazement it came right out even though one was a little stripped. For as soft as the screws are, I think the keys that came with the heli are softer.
runtim23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just may try that
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Yup

I did it, I stripped one of the screws trying to get it out. I grabbed it with a large set of pliers
and unscrewed it. Flattened out that shiny little washer thing as well. Now I will have to find a new one. I'm sure I will have to dish out $50.00 on a rebuild kit!
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
I did it, I stripped one of the screws trying to get it out. I grabbed it with a large set of pliers
and unscrewed it. Flattened out that shiny little washer thing as well. Now I will have to find a new one. I'm sure I will have to dish out $50.00 on a rebuild kit!
They got the aluminum motor mount set @ HH $8.99
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Black residue on main gear

Did you find out what was causing the black residue? I suspected it was from the belt drive. Is it normal?
wtchmkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

This happened to me too.
Nologic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

FYI the easiest way to get these screws out is to heat up the screw by setting a soldering iron on the head for about 30 seconds, then using good tools (like dynamite or similar) turn out the screw. This may take more than 1 heat cycle since the thread locker will set up as it cools. I removed the ESC and slightly drilled the corners of the frame to allow a straight shot at the screws.

Hope this helps somebody!

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Black Residue on main gear

I spoke with customer service at HH, and it is most likely extra oil from the one way bearing getting slung out.
wtchmkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in