Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Power Systems

Power Systems Power Systems Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hacker motor for scale applications

Well, here I go again! I am looking at the possibility of using a Hacker motor for my AH-1S Cobra (Trex 600 Mechanics) and so far I can't quite understand the tech specs of their motors to determine if it would work for me. Given that I plan to run a 12S setup, has anyone else in the scale community run Hacker motors in a 600 setup (or 700) and what might be the pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornDog View Post
Well, here I go again! I am looking at the possibility of using a Hacker motor for my AH-1S Cobra (Trex 600 Mechanics) and so far I can't quite understand the tech specs of their motors to determine if it would work for me. Given that I plan to run a 12S setup, has anyone else in the scale community run Hacker motors in a 600 setup (or 700) and what might be the pros and cons?
What's the price difference between the Hacker and the Hyperion motors... I'm using the HS4035-500 14T - 15T 12S setup pinion for 1400 -1500 head speed and these motors are awesome at a price of 169.95 at RC Aerodyne. I'm not familiar with Hacker but Hyperion is made in cooperation with Scorpion, so it the same motor as a Scorpion with Hyperion name on it..

I have 5 Hyperion motors on my scale helis and none of them have failed yet.. just saying
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was looking at the Scorpion line but the one thing that kinda gave me pause was the whole lubing bearings every 5 flights.... I hear they are very powerful and reliable but there are plenty of helis running other motors that last just as long that don't need that much maintenance. For a scale application (especially in THIS narrow fuse) it would be a nightmare getting it in and out just to lube bearings and check the motor. And due to the weight involved, I was even considering a 700 sized motor... I have a ICE 120HV and plan to run 12S though so I am searching for a very efficient yet powerful motor... I shouldn't need more than 2000RPM on a 2-blade head flying non 3-D but it's good to know the power is there should you need it!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Consider an Xera motor - very well built, no oiling required and seem very efficient. I run one in my Vario Long Ranger, and have just fitted (but not yet flown) one in my 4 blade 600 - both are 4030/3Y - 470kV.

A bit more costly than a Scorpion, but no worries with oiling.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Consider an Xera motor - very well built, no oiling required and seem very efficient. I run one in my Vario Long Ranger, and have just fitted (but not yet flown) one in my 4 blade 600 - both are 4030/3Y - 470kV.

A bit more costly than a Scorpion, but no worries with oiling.

Colin

Nice to know Andy, I will be keeping a eye on those for future reference....
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew the Xera today, and it ran about 8°C (14°F) cooler than the Scorpion 4025-550 and perhaps a few Watts less for similar flying - I put back about 80-100mAh less after two similar 6 minute flights.

It was also noticeably quieter than the Scorpion.

I just checked the vibration logs from my Skookum, and the Scorpion was giving me a vibe of 2.3 units at motor speed (more than double any other frequency), whereas the Xera gives me a vibe of 0.7 at motor speed, which is basically the same as my tail speed vibe, so it is contributing a lot less to the overall vibe reading.

Colin
Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks!

Going to check one out now and see what specs I can get on their setups..
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a Hacker A40 10L 8 Pole ET, CC ICE Lite, gonna try the series 3S hook up. This is powering a 30 size Airwolf. I just finished the motor mount mod today. From what I read and calculated from several sources the motor will give me HS around 2100 rpm. I went w/Hacker because of maintenance, price, and reviews.

I'm fairly new to a lot of the tech issues in this hobby. So I rely on forums for the most part, until I can get to the field. So I do a lot of reading and printing. What is it about the specs for Hacker that has you stumped?
Tman49 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman49 View Post
I got a Hacker A40 10L 8 Pole ET, CC ICE Lite, gonna try the series 3S hook up. This is powering a 30 size Airwolf. I just finished the motor mount mod today. From what I read and calculated from several sources the motor will give me HS around 2100 rpm. I went w/Hacker because of maintenance, price, and reviews.

I'm fairly new to a lot of the tech issues in this hobby. So I rely on forums for the most part, until I can get to the field. So I do a lot of reading and printing. What is it about the specs for Hacker that has you stumped?
I found a website that listed the specs and recommended applications for the Hacker Motors.... I think I am covered. Still gonna look at those Xera motors.. the motor will be the last thing to be purchased as far as a flying setup minus my elevated tail solution. VBar is next in the chute!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Andy01- What mechanics?

Quote:
Flew the Xera today, and it ran about 8°C (14°F) cooler than the Scorpion 4025-550 and perhaps a few Watts less for similar flying - I put back about 80-100mAh less after two similar 6 minute flights.

It was also noticeably quieter than the Scorpion.

I just checked the vibration logs from my Skookum, and the Scorpion was giving me a vibe of 2.3 units at motor speed (more than double any other frequency), whereas the Xera gives me a vibe of 0.7 at motor speed, which is basically the same as my tail speed vibe, so it is contributing a lot less to the overall vibe reading.

Colin
What mechanics are you using Andy01? I am looking at the specs of this Xera and I think I am sold. I just need to make sure height wise it works with my Trex 600E metal bottom plate as far as fitting inside the frame. Everything else looks good. Hope to place the order by the weekend....
Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have got a set of Chaos 600 mechanics, which is essentially identical to the Trex 600 frames I think.

http://www.scaleflying.com/Carbon-Fi...mm_p_1679.html

I have probably 10-15mm between my bottom plate and the bottom of my 4030 motor. The 4030 is definitely longer than the 4025-550 it replaced, but still plenty of space.

Colin
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Different frame sides than stock

Quote:
I have got a set of Chaos 600 mechanics, which is essentially identical to the Trex 600 frames I think.

http://www.scaleflying.com/Carbon-Fi...mm_p_1679.html

I have probably 10-15mm between my bottom plate and the bottom of my 4030 motor. The 4030 is definitely longer than the 4025-550 it replaced, but still plenty of space.

Colin
My only problem is the Cobra came with metal side frames that had to be used. So my motor mount sits lower in the frame than the stock frame sides... roughly 43mm from the bottom of the plate to the bottom of the frame (KDE aluminum bottom frame). I removed the front piece of the bottom plate that extends beyond the sides.... needed the space.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK. The 4030 is 61mm long, so that may not work. You can't fit spacers under the frames to lift it up ? 43mm doesn't sound like a lot for a 600 sized motor.

Colin
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Aluminum Bottom Frame piece

I will have to use spacers to get the main gear to rotate within the cutouts of the side missle armament pod fins on the Cobra. But because it requires specific placement I can't go up or down any more in height on the frame itself. SO... looks like my only alternative is to trim out the bottom of the Cobra for clearence or use a shorter hight motor and lower cell count (10S VERSUS 12S). Would love to have a Xera in there or Hacker but it will be too long. MAYBE I can flip the motor upside down and set it up that way. Will have to check the side frame clearance (METAL!!!).... One way or another IT WILL FLY!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HornDog, Sorry I missed your PM.

HornDog,

I had to cut the base of the frame to fit the motor.

I am using a Turnigy Typhoon 1100kv motor.

Head speed is the lowest I can go. But I forgot what it is!!!!

Here are some new pics with shark teeth on the front. I can see it easier from the distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0022.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	319092   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0023.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	319093  
skyhigh88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh88 View Post
HornDog,

I had to cut the base of the frame to fit the motor.

I am using a Turnigy Typhoon 1100kv motor.

Head speed is the lowest I can go. But I forgot what it is!!!!

Here are some new pics with shark teeth on the front. I can see it easier from the distance.
NICE! Love the sharks teeth! I had just measured my frame and concluded that it will have to be cut. I may brace it from the front with a cross brace or something to keep it rigid. I will have roughly 64-70mm of space vertically to fit a motor. So I will use that reference after I get the frame cut and mounted for a final estimate before I order whatever I find that fits. still looking to go 12S versus 10 just so I avoid yet another set of batteries that only work with one heli!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks,

The shark teeth really work good when I get out there!!

I am setup for a 6S 5000 ma battery. Really works out. I have real time battery monitoring.

I have so much electronics stuff around it.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh88 View Post
Thanks,

The shark teeth really work good when I get out there!!

I am setup for a 6S 5000 ma battery. Really works out. I have real time battery monitoring.

I have so much electronics stuff around it.
And you have the metal side frames too? Any guess what your flight weight is? Maybe I could run a 6S setup and opt for longer flights with twi packs in parallel.... i just want it not to be too heavy and sluggish. You running the flex shaft or the belt? I just got the Hercules 14S BEC but it can run as low as 2S so I will opt to use a 2550 2S for the lights and Gatling gun and mechanics then dedicate the main lipo to the motor itself.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I am using metal frames.

Flight weight is Between 9 + 10 lbs.

My servos run on 11.1 volts with a castle bec set for 6 volts.

I have plenty of power when I fly. I run a dedicate lipo for the motor.

I am using a belt.

Tags
cobra, hacker, scale fuselage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in