Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HeliFreak rocks! Thanks guys!!

I don't post much here, but this time I had to say thanks to all the guys that figured this out. I'm new to heli's, but my 40 years of stick time on planks has eased the pain. Anyway, I bought a FB'd 450 with a stock Align ESC. I calibrated the ESC as usual since it was on a AR6100. Wasn't long after, I went flybarless with the AR7200BX, and since the ESC was already calibrated, I didn't run into this problem. Couple of days ago, I started to get nervous about running 4 digital servos on a 2A linear BEC ( read: Align RCE-BL35X) since I'm no longer just hovering. The CC Ice Lite 50 seemed like a perfect solution... 5A UBEC, data logging, a decent governor, and more headroom with max amps. Today I tried to set it up, and that's when I hit the wall you guys have been discussing. Don't think I would have figured it out by myself anytime soon. I am a little disappointed about the inability to clear the log easily, but I can live with that since the log continually replaces the oldest data with the newest. I will say this, the AR7200BX was pretty much plug and play. You set it up, it works, you go fly!

Waff, your solution was perfect, and perfectly understandable!

Last edited by jrej; 04-11-2012 at 04:05 AM..
jrej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. And you just answered a question of mine that I simply have not taken the time to figure out. I always wondered how the ice behaved when the logger gets full.

Waff
Waff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CC data logging

Waff -- I remember a post by one of the guys who works for CC stating that this was the way it worked. From recent personal experience, I can say that it doesn't, so I was wrong in stating this. Bummer! Sorry for the confusion.

Joe
jrej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi guys. So I am trying to set up the throttle calibration on my 700e with an ICE2 80HV and AR7200BX. No matter what I do I either cannot get the high to calibrate - it goes all the way to 150% without beeping OR the ESC actually arms when the throttle stick is full up!!!

The Castle Link is in Heli mode and fixed endpoints. I make the throttle ATV percentages 25% then move the throttle to the full position. When I go to plug in the ESC I hear the beeps but it arms!!!!! WTH?? I have never had this problem when doing the throttle calibration on any of my Castle ESC's. Any ideas what to do next? I wanna run set RPM governor mode. I was told to do the throttle calibration while in fixed end points first, then go in with the castle link and change to gov mode.

S
Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you read the instructions on the horizon site about calibrating end points with the 7200 and it's not so "smart safe" throttle feature of the year HA! Seriously if you don't want to dig thru the forum here and find how then go to www.horizonhobby.com and search ar7200bx. when you get to the page click on the ar7200 then when it comes up click on the manuals and support and there will be an ammendum there for esc calibration.
What bothers me is you say it will arm with the stick full up which is telling me you need to reverse your throttle channel in your tx. Is this a new memory starting with defaults . Sure sounds like your throttle needs to be reversed to me
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Have you read the instructions on the horizon site about calibrating end points with the 7200 and it's not so "smart safe" throttle feature of the year HA! Seriously if you don't want to dig thru the forum here and find how then go to www.horizonhobby.com and search ar7200bx. when you get to the page click on the ar7200 then when it comes up click on the manuals and support and there will be an ammendum there for esc calibration.
What bothers me is you say it will arm with the stick full up which is telling me you need to reverse your throttle channel in your tx. Is this a new memory starting with defaults . Sure sounds like your throttle needs to be reversed to me
Yes thanks I just read them. It would have been nice if there were some instructions or something letting me know that there is an issue with calibration. Unbelievable.

Yes the ESC is actually arming when the throttle is full!!!

Should I reverse the throttle channel?

Thx

S
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default newbee

i had the same problem. found out there is a series of adjustment supposed to be done even on plug and play stuff. castle was great to deal with spent almost an hour going through it all and he explained alot that had nothing to do with the problem. he claims just cause you turn it on and it works, doesnt mean its working good!
jimthetooth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
Yes thanks I just read them. It would have been nice if there were some instructions or something letting me know that there is an issue with calibration. Unbelievable.

Yes the ESC is actually arming when the throttle is full!!!

Should I reverse the throttle channel?

Thx

S
Reverse the throttle channel only if you have a Futaba radio. If you have a Spektrum or other brand, keep the throttle direction normal.

If you have a Fubaba reverse the throttle and follow the written directions in the link below. If Spektrum, just follow the written directions in the link below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=1

MAKE SURE YOUR NORMAL THROTTLE CURVE IS 0-25-50-75-100. If it is not, record what it was, then change it to the values above. After calibration works, change the normal curve back to its original values.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is an incredible thread. I've done my best to try to follow and think I have it but am not totally sure. If anyone could even cut and paste the answer for me it would be great.

I just got a 550 from someone with a 7200BX, equipped with an ICE 100 and CC BEC Pro. Sounds like I can simply bind with my DX8 at low throttle in normal with a linear throttle curve. Can I then simply set the endpoints on the ICE by setting the throttle high with the radio in and then plugging in the batt? Will the ESC be powered directly off the batt? I'm not interested in the auto bailout feature because I will probably not be doing autos for a while. Sorry for the repeat question, but it seems that most of the problems here are caused by ESC's without separate BECs. Thanks!
ryem3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sounds right. Power up the BEC and AR7200BX first, go to low throttle to arm the AR7200BX, then set throttle to hi, then plug in battery to ESC and set your endpoints to calibrate.

I think that should work fine. Just remember if you are using the BEC you should remove the power wire (usually red) from your ESC before you plug it into the AR7200BX.

Waff
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I have the ESC and the BEC both hooked up to the main battery lead. Wouldnt the CC ESC just let me set the endpoints if I plug in the batt with the TX throttle on high? After I set the endpoints, then I just bind the AR with the throttle on low?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

This model has a deliberate design "feature" which does not pass full throttle signal to the ESC until the BeastX has booted. It is deliberate. Because the ESC has only seen zero, it won't enter program mode. This makes programming many ESCs and clearing the data log from Castle ICE ESCs cumbersome.

Refer to the addendum to the manual for the details and how to address it: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMA...l_addendum.pdf

Regards

Acrow
acrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks very much for the link; I've seen those steps posted. So, for me, can I disconnect my ESC from the 7200, initialize the 7200 on low throttle with the main battery, move throttle to full and reconnect the ESC to the 7200 and set the end points? Seems to be correct, but just want to be sure. With the ESC and separate BEC, the red wire is already disconnected from the ESC connection. I don't have a seperate receiver pack.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

That won't work if the ESC is powered even though you have removed the throttle lead from the BeastX. The ESC must see full throttle when it is first powered to set end points and enter programming mode.

Regards

Acrow
acrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ugh. How about if I plug an old batt into an old ESC I have laying around and use that to power the 7200? Then I move the throttle to full, plug in the 550 batt and then plug in the ESC to the 7200? I guess I should then disconnect the BEC pro from the 7200 before I do this or I power the 7200 from 2 sources when I plug in the batt.
Glad I only need to do this once!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I just got a 550 from someone with a 7200BX, equipped with an ICE 100 and CC BEC Pro. ...
I have the exact same setup, and posted step by step instructions on how to do this a few pages back CLICK HERE FOR POST - easiest to do this if you have battery connectors on both your esc and bec and two packs for this setup stage (which most have), and its very easy. Probably a good idea to use this setup for AR7200BX heli's (Y another battery plug off the esc socket of whatever connectors you prefer to plug the BEC into for 'normal' use).
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can do all this with your setup like you want to fly... just follow these instructions mentioned earlier in the post...

-Set Throttle Curve for Norm to linear (0,INH,50,INH,100)
- Adjust Travel Adjust for Throttle to H=0, L=0
- Battery unplugged
- Radio off
- Put Bind plug in Bind slot on AR7200BX
- Plug battery in
- Hold down Bind button on back of TX
- Continue to hold down Bind button while turning on Radio
- Continue to hold down Bind button until flashing light on AR7200BX (or on satellite) turns solid (this light is down by the servo plugs)
- When light is solid, Bind is done
- Remove Bind plug
- Unplug battery
- Radio off
- Radio on
- Plug battery in
- Move throttle stick to High (full throttle, all the way up)
- Raise Travel Adjust H until the motor beeps
- Raise Travel Adjust H two more clicks
- Move throttle stick to Low (zero throttle, all the way down)
- Raise Travel Adjust L until the motor beeps
- Raise Travel Adjust L two more clicks
- ICE ESC is now calibrated for throttle
- Set Throttle Curve for Norm to (0,INH,0,INH,0)
- Flight Mode is still in Norm
- Unplug Battery
- Radio off
- Put Bind plug in Bind slot on AR7200BX
- Plug battery in
- Hold down Bind button on back of DX7
- Continue to hold down Bind button while turning on Radio
- Continue to hold down Bind button until flashing light on AR7200BX (or on satellite) turns solid (this light is down by the servo plugs)
- When light is solid, Bind is done
- Remove Bind plug
- Unplug battery
- Radio off
- Radio on
- If you are NOT using Auto Rotate feature, set Throttle Curve for Norm to (30,INH,30,INH,30)
- If you are NOT using Auto Rotate feature, set your Throttle Hold to 0
- If you are NOT using Auto Rotate, you are done
- If you are using Auto Rotate, you need to set that up now
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What is the throttle position on the initial bind? Thanks very much!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

For initial bind it does not matter.

Waff
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
What is the throttle position on the initial bind? Thanks very much!
And just so it makes more sense you have set your travel to 0 from H to L so no matter where the stick is its at 0 initally!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in