Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters

Miniature Aircraft Helicopters Stratus, Spectra G, Furion, Ion-X, Bobby Watts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Does the build get easier from here on out or what?

I recently purchased a stratus BW edition kit with 8.18 ratio for YS and started putting it together last night. Man is thing picky. Nothing seems to go on correctly without modifying it slightly. For instance the holes on the engine mount plate did not line up with the bottom crank case of the YS91 and needed to be extended considerably. The holes on the actual bottom plate of the heli in the rear needed to be extended also to accomodate the motor aluminum blocks that attach the carbon supports which anchor the engine to the blocks. The fuel tank is a total blast to deal with. There is so much room for improvement regarding the fuel tube fitting installation and its methodology in relation to design its not even funny. So far I've got the engine mounted, the struts, the fuel tank , and the A pillars with several hours of work involved. The manual left no details about the fan shroud front A braces being left out of the kit in favor of the new BW frame braces and I would have been calling up MA this morning looking like a total ass if I had not referred to the build video from the Australian guy. Does it get easier from here on out? I ask only because while I am impressed with the quality of the parts as seperate pieces I have yet to see the fit and finish MA is so well known for in how everything goes together. Maybe I'm just used to Align's almost turn key like builds or this is just how it is and people that claim the builds are easy may be inadvertantly misleading people because this is what they have grown accustomed to.
Entityofme1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are you building an O.S. kit with a Y.S. engine?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I'll be damned if thats what has happened. I bought the kit from an individual and assumed that since it was an 8.18 gear ratio that it was for the YS 91 kit and lo and behold it's for an OS kit. Thats just wonderful and now I'll probably have to spend $200 in other parts to make it right. Talk about being a jackass...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Call Tim, tell him what you modified and what you haven't touched. He may be willing to swap some parts out for you and then you can buy the rest.

I definitely don't think it's going to be $200 though. I think you'd just need the engine plate and maybe a few spacers or something.

Maybe David Harkey could chine in and give a definitive answer.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, and can you post a picture of what you mean by the aluminum engine blocks? If it is what I think it is, then it's not needed at all.

The engine will be just fine with the 4 bolts going into the back plate. The blocks I think you're referring to just add weight so you probably won't be needing a new bottom plate.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can get all gearing ratio's for both an OS and YS. I think you would only need the bottom plate.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Now we're talking

Well it's mostly built now all except for the YS mount plates, the frame stiffeners, and some various electronics. I had help from a local pilot who owns one during the build. I'm singing a different song as I now have seen what everyone is talking about as far as the design, material quality, and engineering that go hand in hand with MA. It simply surpasses most of what I've seen so far by a considerable margin. It's almost hard to describe how blinged out the heli is. It's a shame that giant canopy covers so much of what is underneath because it definately is something to admire and appreciate. Can't wait to fling the thing around.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

The bottom line is that if its an MA kit and the bits dont appear to fit you're doing something wrong !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in