Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Look Mom, no flybar!

Just finished initial setup on my first FBL heli. After flying Skokum and V-bar FBL helis I knew I wanted to try FBL. Like many other probably are I was holding out for the new wave of systems on the horizion to make my decision. Got a deal on the 3G and here it is. I have never been a fan of anything electronic with the "Align warning badge" but it seems there electronics reliability has really improved.

Funny when I got the 500 I told all my buddies I was goin to fly it all stock to keep the cost down.
Now it has
3G FBL
Ice 75a ESC
Scorpion 1400
Raddix blades etc oh well, love this little heli.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 202.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	137072  
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Give us a full review when you have a feel for it! I have the Mini-v on my 500 but night do the 3G for the 450 Pro.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Word from my local field is 'somewhere between a flybar and a Vbar'. It works fine and should be a nice upgrade for most of those that still use a flybar or skookum.
jvthert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Will post my impressions as soon as I get some flights in. Really anxious to get it out but it is just to cold out today. I know there is going to be some tweaking that needs to be done and I want to be able to concentrate on that and flying instead of fighting the cold.

I am a little nervous, I loved the way this heli flew before and I hope I made the right decision going FBL. I have a 700 on the way and will probably be holding off on the build a bit until I have formed an opinion on the 3G. Can't decide to build it FBL or not.

On a side note the setup procedure couldn't be any easier. I am coming from a GY520 on the tail and the Align gyro setup is just as easy as Futaba. Hope it performs as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRACERX43 View Post
I am a little nervous, I loved the way this heli flew before and I hope I made the right decision going FBL. I have a 700 on the way and will probably be holding off on the build a bit until I have formed an opinion on the 3G. Can't decide to build it FBL or not.
I'm having the very same issue. I'm building a new 500, have not yet fully decided to make it flybarless. I like the way my other 500 (with flybar) flies. Actually I want the Align head with a mini v-bar for my new built. But I am doubting about getting a flybarless unit at all. And I also have a 600, what will I do with that one. Choices...
wbplomp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also just finished my install of the new 3g. Extremely easy to set up. I initial had 13 degrees of pitch an 11 on cyclic. My 500 is bone stock by the way. I went in an tuned it down some. Its funny it acts like it did in some ways but different in others. I have no experience with flybarless heli's but so far I like it. I was used to fixin the heli while doing certain thing an I have to almost throw that out the window now. The heli does exactly what you tell it with no crazy interactions. I got 3 flights on it sat. I was amazed by how it feels, more power, and quicker snapper movements. The tail held really well. I was amazed. I was running a 520 gyro before. The tail isn't as happy but I'm not disappointed. After some futher playin I will post some set up info. But right now if your scared about getting one don't be. You will like it.
RMEDLONG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Still no test flights here. One of my biog fears besides reliability is tail performance.
I was running a GY520 did away with the stock flimsy pushrod, and installed a Quick UK carbon rod kit. After upgradin to a KDE metal RX mount, the tail worked flawlessly. I am hoping the Align can do the same.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the 3G is based on a gp780 for the tail hyro part. i fly the gp750 on my 500 and the tail is as solid as my 520 on my 600N and teh 611 on the 600E.

as long as your running good tail blades you be fine and when you get the tuning done and get used to FBL youll love it.

I believe my 700 with be my first FBL attempt here once its up and running.
trex 600N OS50hyp, hitori, mgp, 9451'sgy520/9256, TT
trex 700N 91sz, hitori, g600, 610's, 611/9256, TT
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you get that 700 going before I decide on mine, let mw know how you like it.
Last FBL helis I flew where a buddies 600 & 700 on Thanksgiving day. They where v-bar and I was very impressed. New I wanted FBL and the deal I got on the 3G made a a V-bar not an option.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was going to leave mine stock but I came across a deal to good to pass up on the 3G. Should be able to get mine installed and tested in the next couple weeks. Anyone know the weight savings from doing this?
grahats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you hook up your original tail gyro if the 3G tail isn't perfect?
rcmadness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bump. Just wanting to know if you have to use the 3G for tail?
rcmadness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not tested my 3-g yet due to weather. I have read the gyro is the same as the new Align 780 and should perform very well. I am sure you could bypass the tail gyro and run a seperate unit but I owuld not. The 3-g is supposed to have a built in piro compensation and you would loose the benifit of that with an external gyro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in