Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default purchasing used nitro - good idea?

I'm looking to get into nitro helis and there are some really good deals on used 600's. Is this a good idea, considering it would be my first nitro heli or should I buy new.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Normally I always buy used, no question about it, it is just such a better deal and you can get some really sick setups. But just do your research and background checks and such on the seller etc. So, yes, I would recommend buying used. Make sure that the used heli works flawlessly and is in like new condition, if you have to do mods, upgrades and fix it and dont have alot of exp. with nitro, just buy new. But you will defintly need to get some help and get it looked over before flying it. It will be so much more stress free. believe, I just bought my first nitro and trying to get it goin on my own was so much harder/stressful and resulted in a crash on the 2nd flight. Make sure all the manuals are included and rebuild it as it were new while watching finless videos.

6s Trex 450 PRO on Specktrum
airsoft1779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Anthony,

I wouldn't buy used unless I knew the person I was buying from AND I could see the heli fly prior to buying it.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is much better if you know the person but the odds of that are often low. I've bought many things used and with the proper homework and speaking with the person it has always worked out for me.
Inverted in Nashville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah i have bought two 600n used off of here and one was brand new like the guy said and the other was only to have 15, 20 flights on it it was prob more like 40 from the time on the tx but was still ok the guy did not know how to take care of it so my buddy decided we should just go over it and put bearings in it total fix was 40 so once again very happy,i have since then put 10 gallons threw it.
crashkit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted in Nashville View Post
It is much better if you know the person but the odds of that are often low. I've bought many things used and with the proper homework and speaking with the person it has always worked out for me.
+1
My current setup was ALL purchased used, and saved me about $750 over new. I have bought and sold off 10's of thousands of dollars over the last 20 years in R/C and rarely had a problem. 95% of the time what I get is a good deal with light use at 50% to 75% of new prices....rarely, I have to work on it or replace somthing that I later found, but usually there is plenty of margin in order to do this....As long as I got a manual and parts are available, it can be fixed...

Just my $.02
.........It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again.........
fixnfly70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't buy a used heli again . I did once and it was s mistake , just too many things can go wrong and I like to know how all the parts go together so I know what to check pre flight and post flight .
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I buy my cheap helis used. But all of my good ones I bought new. There is nothing like building your first nitro bird yourself as it helps develop a certain kind of relationship. Trust me.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im broke so I always buy used helis but I like my electronics new which I buy in the for sale section .I had one heli with problems but the seller made it right.Theres nothing at all wrong with buying used,just ask alot of questions,ask for proof of feedback from other buyers,google there screen name,talk to them over the phone and pay with paypal useing a credit card only.. I know everyone starts somewhere but I will not buy something for more than $50.00 bucks from someone new to the site.
FlyingHigh 450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Buying used is good I have bought several new and I would recommend it, however you will want to basically go through and redo/check everything. Yes nothing is more fun to me than building new but for the money used is great, and when you crash you get to build anyway. unless an engine is really bad a new ring and new bearings will restore it to like new really easy.
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

For your first Nitro - buy new IMHO. You will know what you are getting and it is better to build everything yourself so you know how to do it (build/setup) when you stove it in. You will be more afraid to crash if you are not confident in your build and setup ability. Now that I have build quite a few birds, I would have no hesitation buying used from someone I knew.

www.3dheli.co.nz
JAGNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have bought a used 600E, 600N, 700N, 450 pro in the forums classifieds

my 500 is the only one i bought new.

Heres the deal, IF you buy used you take the heli and strip it down to every last nut and bolt and reassemble as you would buying a new kit. This way you know what you have from head to toe. Fail to follow this step no matter how good it was built or new it is and your odd's of wrecking it raise dramaticaly.

every used heli I bought needed something, the 450 pro which was built well and only had 3 hover flights still had a few small issues that I corrected.

all in all buying uised is good IF you know what your getting into
trex 600N OS50hyp, hitori, mgp, 9451'sgy520/9256, TT
trex 700N 91sz, hitori, g600, 610's, 611/9256, TT
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
I have bought a used 600E, 600N, 700N, 450 pro in the forums classifieds

my 500 is the only one i bought new.

Heres the deal, IF you buy used you take the heli and strip it down to every last nut and bolt and reassemble as you would buying a new kit. This way you know what you have from head to toe. Fail to follow this step no matter how good it was built or new it is and your odd's of wrecking it raise dramaticaly.

every used heli I bought needed something, the 450 pro which was built well and only had 3 hover flights still had a few small issues that I corrected.

all in all buying uised is good IF you know what your getting into

100% right ON
.........It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again.........
fixnfly70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got a used knight 3d for sale. airframe only has a few gallons through it. hyper was just rebuilt, and all new bearings. and broken in. I'm keeping the electronics needed to go electric, the rest is for sale. I'll even video it flying this saturday if anyone wants it. Shameless plug, but the heli economy is in a depression and it looks like I'll never get my hands on a 6HV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in