Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How much trim is to much trim?

So it seems each time I fly my stock 250 with plastic blades I find myself adding a couple more clicks here or taking away some from there. I try as hard as I can to get the battery in the same place every time but never seem to be able to get through the first minute of the battery with out readjusting one of my trims on my right stick(Mode 2). Is this normal or is there something I need to fix on the bird?

I figured this was something that would work itself out in time but I can't seem to get it figured out on my own. I've put 45 batteries through her now. She does fly spot on though after a few clicks but I am noticing I am getting a ton of right trim happening as of late. To mechanically fix it my swash would sit un-level. Any thoughts appreciated.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It could be a servo that needs replaced or your TX may have a bad pot and/or not good centering. You just have to figure it out by carefully checking everything.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

HMMMM. TX issues. I have a brand new DX7s that I have been quite happy with. How would I go about checking centering of the sticks? Or fixing it? I just went into Expo setting and realized none of the values are at zero in center. For instance if I move the stick as it goes back to center it flashes from -1 to -2 on the left side. As I go through all my expo setting I see this across the board. Lots of negative values on one side or the other. Same thing happens in any model memory. Seems I may have bad pots in my new radio! Yes No? I get 2 -1 values on my rudder channel when centered.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could try to recalibrate the TX and see if that helps. Also check for recalls and updates on the spektrum website.

It is possible that you have a noisy reference or some other electrical issue causing your drift and noise around center.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
You could try to recalibrate the TX and see if that helps. Also check for recalls and updates on the spektrum website.

It is possible that you have a noisy reference or some other electrical issue causing your drift and noise around center.

Good Luck, Don
Seems like the re-calibration worked as far as getting the 0 values set. That was pretty easy.Never knew how that feature worked until now. Thanks for the pointers. Now if the sun would come out I could see if it makes a difference on flying.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Good Luck, Don
Came here to say this - I had same issue at one point on my dx6i as well as my dx7s
dfbonney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just want to follow up with that was all I had to do. I read my TX manual in my (coughs)...... study. But some how missed the calibration option. Never would of got this one without the help I thought I had a steady bird before. Man this is more stable then my FBL MCPX now. Thanks a lot. My heli can now sit hands off and that annoying tail bounce I had is gone too. As soon a I got it in the air the old trim setting sent the heli off forward and to the right. lol I had to reset everything including the Gyro settings. Had it sitting perfect in 3 batteries. I am in awe of the change. Thanks a ton
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thats awesome , I had no idea of the calibration either! Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Good Luck, Don
Hi,

What do you mean by re-calibrate the TX ? Did you mean to reset the TX back to default values ?

Thanks,
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
Hi,

What do you mean by re-calibrate the TX ? Did you mean to reset the TX back to default values ?

Thanks,
DX7S and DX8 (and I'll assume DX18) have a stick calibration option in the system menu. If you see 'fluttering' in the monitor or if the values don't return to 0 when you're at mid-stick then the stick calibration can help.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
DX7S and DX8 (and I'll assume DX18) have a stick calibration option in the system menu. If you see 'fluttering' in the monitor or if the values don't return to 0 when you're at mid-stick then the stick calibration can help.
Oh, I see.

Thank you.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's in the system menu, same area that you do memory card model dumps/imports. It's one of the last screens in that menu. Once there it will guide you through the steps to calibrate the stick center, don't forget to do the knob at the same time or it may get messed up.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's in the system menu, same area that you do memory card model dumps/imports. It's one of the last screens in that menu. Once there it will guide you through the steps to calibrate the stick center, don't forget to do the knob at the same time or it may get messed up.
Thanks again for the detail instruction.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes that knob is a weird one. When I first got to the calibration menu the TX was beeping like mad. Turns out it was just the fact that that knob was turned a bit from center. If you have Phoenix the calibration menu works just like a TX calibration in the sim program. Simply turn all the sticks to there extremes and then to center. There will be a bunch of question marks that turn into "OK" when the values are set. Once you have things where you think they need to be move over from cancel and click on save. You can find the Calaberation menu in your DX7s or Dx8 in the System Setings menu. To get there you will have to leave your current model and pick a new one.You will find the heading System Settings on the first page as you enter the new model.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Then there is this on the dx7
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogJSzV6gsM[/ame]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in