Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default SETUP of Spartan DS760 Gyro & Logictech 3100G servo

The servo finally showed up today (4 days late.)

When I try to center the servo, it only moves in one direction. It only responds to left rudder, when I give right rudder it does nothing. This withOUT the gyro being hooked up at all. When I hook up the gyro, it does the same thing.

I know this servo has some funky settings, is this normal or do I have a defective servo?

Is there a setup guide for the 760 and this servo?
MonsterMaxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah that servo has a different start point than most. I don't mean where the servo starts moving from, but the digital start point. You'll have to go into the servo configuration mode on the Spartan and select the correct frame width/frequency. Spartans website should be your destination if you don't have a manual.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

In my opinion you should install the servo without the horn hooked up to the gyro just like your going to place it for final installation. Another word's hook everything up like normal except the servo horns. Power up the Rx and allow the tail servo to activate. Unplug the power and that's where your tail servo wants to center. Attach the servo horn as close to 90 degrees to the tail servo as possible. Set the screw and enter setup on the 760.

The basic functions of the Spartan are as follows. While toggling your gyro switch the Spartan will blink and the tail servo will move letting you know it's in setup mode. The first thing you do is set the direction. Next you set the limits. After seting the limits the servo will center itself right in the middle of the limits you set.

I know this is way over simplified but you should get the basic idea.

I have the USB cable so I don't know how to select the servo type without it. If you don't have the cable I recommend it.
Buzzkill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Set the ds760 to 760uSec/333Hz

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The concern for me is that it doesn't operate correctly even WITHOUT the gyro.

Just hooked to the rx left rudder works perfectly normally, right rudder does nothing. Another servo works fine. When I put it on another channel it does the same thing.

I think it's a bad servo.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The signal is different. The mid-point is shifted and this this is why it operates on one side and stops on the other as the signal goes out of spec. This servo can only be used through a gyro set at the correct mode.

-Angelos

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
The signal is different. The mid-point is shifted and this this is why it operates on one side and stops on the other as the signal goes out of spec. This servo can only be used through a gyro set at the correct mode.

-Angelos
A little off topic so I appologize but, if the shear performance of the Spartan 760 isn't enough of a reason to buy this exceptional product we get this, a direct response from the people that make it. It is my personal opinion that replies like this (of which I've seen many from Spartan in several forums) in the Helista infested, often neglected and certainly abused Gaui 200 forum direct from the designer (take note Align, Futaba,Spektrum, Hitech, E-flite, Logitech, JR, Gaui and the rest of the invisible people) is more than enough reason to support Spartan.

I'm not kissing butt here so don't take it that way. I'm simply voicing my opinion and in my opinion, Spartan deserves the "Spartan kicks ass" comment more than any company that I've seen on HeliFreak. Not only for an outstanding, top of the line product but for standing out and standing up and backing their product directly with the people that use it.

I say we make Spartan an official Helista sponsered Company. I know I have.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Huzzah! Angelos designed a superior product and gives personal support. What more can you ask for? (except that they be in stock but that will change, glad I got mine)
GreenCello is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos you the man. And your gyro is the shizzle.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Set the ds760 to 760uSec/333Hz. The signal is different. The mid-point is shifted and this this is why it operates on one side and stops on the other as the signal goes out of spec. This servo can only be used through a gyro set at the correct mode.
-Angelos
Cool! That's fixed it. Y'all might want to correct your instructions, it has the 3100G listed under the 1520uSec 333Hz (default.) [Doc. V1.2]

Next issue is that I've gone thru the endpoint setting part and it seems I've got the endpoints set right - getting full travel out of the tail, but it appears only about 60% of the tx's stick travel = 100% of the servo travel. The last 30-40% of stick movement does nothing. I've checked the travel adjustment in the TX and it's 100%.
Checking in rate mode.
That's not normal is it? If not, what do I do?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try maxing out the endpoints/ATV's in the transmitter.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetleaf View Post
Try maxing out the endpoints/ATV's in the transmitter.
That's a little worse, trying 75% didn't help either. (watching the DX7's monitor screen it the servo stops moving just past the 50% mark)

Something doesn't seem right.

I've got a few days to sort this out before the replacement blade grip shows up and the pins & crimps from hanson get here. Hopefully we'll get this sorted out by then - I'm very much ready to fly this little bird.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Mine doesn't do that. Weird. I have a 760 installed and it's nice and smooth throughout the stick travel.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same thing happen with a different gyro. I set the L and R rudder ATVs to 150 and then reset them to 100 by pressing the "clear" button and that fixed mine.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetleaf View Post
I had the same thing happen with a different gyro. I set the L and R rudder ATVs to 150 and then reset them to 100 by pressing the "clear" button and that fixed mine.
no joy

Hopefully the Spartan guy will chime in with an answer...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is your gyro assigned to the gear channel or the rudder channel? Try switching to the other and see if that has any affect. I would max out the ATV's on the Aux channel as well. You might want to reset the model data in the Tx.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

no joy.

I do notice that it's better w/ left stick than it is with right stick.

That is, it continues to move for about 75% of the left stick, but is 50-60% of right stick.

I've cleared the atvs on rudder and gear. gyro is plugged in as instructed in the manual.
Black -> rudder
red ->gear (gain)
atvs on both set to 100%
tx is a DX7, rx is a 6100
input select: aux2->aux2, gear->gear (if I set gear->gyro the gyro will not arm)

Hopefully the Spartan guy will chime in with an answer...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The gyro is in charge of the servo, not the pilot. The rudder position is just a command for the gyro selling it how fast to yaw. The gyro then devices where to move the servo to archive that. Make sure the gyro revering is ok and gyro endpoints are set for the maximum available travel. Set your radio's rudder endpoints to 100% and go fly.

-Angelos

Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
The gyro is in charge of the servo, not the pilot. The rudder position is just a command for the gyro selling it how fast to yaw. The gyro then devices where to move the servo to archive that. Make sure the gyro revering is ok and gyro endpoints are set for the maximum available travel. Set your radio's rudder endpoints to 100% and go fly.

-Angelos
So you are saying what I'm seeing is normal and it is operating properly?

Cool, then all I need to do is wait for a blade grip (one of them was defective) and I'm RTF.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

And while you are answering that question...

Suggested setting (I assume to mean ATV on the gear channel) for this little heli and servo combo?

I tried holding it in my hand and spinning it up a little (no main blades, but the tail is in place) I got the ATVs down to 30% and it's still wagging on both modes.

I realize I'm not a very experience pilot and even more inexperience with setup. Had help with the Rex, it's got a 401 and the atv on gear channel is 80% & 85%

Can you please suggest some settings to start off with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in