Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnzoo View Post
Man, this is one up-tight thread

Chill guys
+1
Chilling is good. Have a beer and call it a day!

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmit View Post
I seem to remember a lot of folks pooping on the 6HV because it was a 12S 600' don't even mention the FBL head design. I don't think many see it as a failure. Especially Compass.

Just a thought. ;-)
Remember the movie Envy with Ben Stiller? One guy had an idea which he believed in and the other refused to believe it will ever work out...

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brandenburg View Post
You guys fight over Dom almost as much as girls do.
I want to elope with him......

Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
People on the thread have commented on this or that aspect of the design not because they think poorly of Seb but because they want a better overall product and this is what they believe will make the Warp better. Seb can choose to listen to those comments and make a change or stick to his guns because he believes his way is better.
But not listening to your customers is a sure fire way to alienate them.
There has been some very valid input and suggestions by some very good pilots, all of which has been ignored.
Call me a hater, but I'd rather see a designer taking notes of these things and applying them to the prototype than ignoring them because they believe themselves to be right.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

well you have to atleast get some working prototypes before you start making changes.or the design phase wont end and I would think you need to establish a direction and go with it.I would rather not have a bunch of revisions based on 1 or 2 pilot suggestions.These helis have to be able to please many people of all flying styles.Most of what I have seen suggested is either astetics, not doable, or personal preference.

There are several popular helis out there where the customer plays NO role in the development process,the heli is released,and thats that.I think Sebastian is walking a very nice line to balance what is needed and what is wanted.If he took time to do a revision from every suggestion on EVERY forum,HF is only one.we would never see a finished product.And so far sebastians ideas and designs seem to be on the mark,not saying he is perfect,but lets let him do his thing,get some of these in the air and go from there.

You cant be clamoring for a release date at the same time you are suggesting revisions
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

"But not listening to your customers is a sure fire way to alienate them."

I would be very upset if an alien ate my customers...

(sorry, I could not help myself...)

A company should listen to their customers, there is no doubt about that, but one also has to sort out what are real issues and upgrades, and what are complaints due to a person not understanding why something is designed the way it is or knowing how to set it up.

There were many people who said that the Compass FBL would not work, based on the drawings that were released to the public. Obviously, it did work as there are now three other companies using this design, or variations on it.

Some suggestions are very good (such as the need for the anti-rotation bracket on the 6HV to be revised, or that the landing gear material should be changed (which it has)).

Some are not so good or make no sense, like suggestions that there were phasing issues with the Atom when it first came out (flew mine for over two years with different blades and could not ever get an out of phase response from it).

A manufacturer has to sort through all this and separate actual issues from perceived issues-not an easy thing to do.

Compass has a team of people (many of whom post here) who will beat the daylights out of the Warp before it ever gets to the customer.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
There were many people who said that the Compass FBL would not work, based on the drawings that were released to the public. Obviously, it did work as there are now three other companies using this design, or variations on it.
The popular "variations" have one thing in common. This explains it best:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XAPvYUXq4[/ame]

Sorry... couldn't resist! ;-)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting video Alex.

If memory serves, the original drawings did not show that the drive tubes needed to be flexible (which is why they are Delrin in Sebastian's design).
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

French translation from 9golf1's vid on the new FBL head by Align.

"This is the new head from Align, Align 600 DFC, which means direct flight control,
the links that you see here are too rigid, when the feathering shaft does is job in the head we obtain this, we see that the links follow, normally there should be a pivot point here. I'll snape on one link to see what's happening, we see that something's wrong both links are moving on the same side. I did not install the dampners, its easier for me to show you how the head moves. Now we will connect both links, impossible to move , it cannot move, its too stiff here. We can even see that it wants to move near the bottom, if we let them free look what happens. With the movement of the feathering shaft it wants to push like this. If the dampners are soft enough they can absorb so much but we end up un-balanced, longer on either side. Normally on a head we should have a pivot that moves like this. So...I'll use it anyway but its not the best head, they could have push a bit more to develop a better product. They could have installed dampners so that this part can move but we would have ended up with a phasing issue. So it doesn't work."
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

The nice thing is...Most of the dampening effect would happen in the grips as last stated during prototype development of the Warp 360. So that is the best of both worlds where phasing does not become as much of an issue and there is less pressure at the fulcrum, or bolt that goes into the grip because some of it is handled in the grip itself. Then of course there is the delrin control rod to assist in stress relief as well.

Last edited by alexmit; 02-22-2012 at 02:15 PM..
alexmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rigid heli is taking preorders I want one this hobby is to addictive
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

I already preordered mine
poring is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder if Dave or anyone anywhere has flown it and are free to comment?

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

not yet, we needed some parts after they put the first couple together. should have the new parts done in a week or so.
Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dunk, We seem to be on several threads together . This heli looks interesting, (like most new designs). I'll def be watching it. I'm waiting on my goblin currently and it's been stressful with all of the delays and such. I didn't think I'd be looking at another 450 class ever again since moving to the larger machines but considering this design and on 6s, well u kno. I'll prolly have to have one. The preorder deal I'll pass on, just wait till the end of the yr when production is in full swing. Plus all the guys flying compass seem to really enjoy their products.

Clear skies,
Aaron
McCollister911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, Dave. Thank you, sir.

Scott

Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCollister911 View Post
Dunk, We seem to be on several threads together . This heli looks interesting, (like most new designs). I'll def be watching it. I'm waiting on my goblin currently and it's been stressful with all of the delays and such. I didn't think I'd be looking at another 450 class ever again since moving to the larger machines but considering this design and on 6s, well u kno. I'll prolly have to have one. The preorder deal I'll pass on, just wait till the end of the yr when production is in full swing. Plus all the guys flying compass seem to really enjoy their products.

Clear skies,
Aaron
Aaron,

Yep. Seems so! I'll be getting one, too. My original 450pro has only three original parts on it and two of those are the frame halves, so it's about time to upgrade. I can't think of a better one buy! The support from the Compass Team guys is just unreal. They do have so much flying their helicopters! It's contagious.

Scott

Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

i would like to see a vid of this warp flying
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

^ join the club..lol we're all waiting patiently
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in