Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Alternate 300 size helis

Anyone who has owned both a 300X vs GAUI X2 care to comment?

Parts quality?

Flight characteristics?

I see it uses a 900mAh battery vs. 1300 for the 300X.

Apart from the main blades, is the heli itself a bit smaller than the 300X?

Cheers
Radio: Spektrum DX8 Gen 1

Last edited by rdlohr; 06-13-2014 at 09:42 PM..
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also very interested in this. Was going to buy an X2 but couldn't pass up a 300x for around $250. At least I have the AR7200 now in case an X2 happens to ship to my door.
kenko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found this
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=329233

Sizewise, sounds pretty equivalent. They compare it to the Blade CP and SR, which are almost the same size as 300x, although I can't speak for Gaui flight characteristics.
jcmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Lighter with 255 blades sounds promising!

All I know / have heard as to alternatives to the 300X is The Align 250 - which many say is noticeably smaller and flies inferior to the 300X.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYguy View Post

All I know / have heard as to alternatives to the 300X is The Align 250 - which many say is noticeably smaller and flies inferior to the 300X.
I've flown a flybarless T-Rex 250 and I'll take my 300X any day. It had a 3GX on it, so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples. But you're right it is noticeably smaller and more twitchy in my opinion. It actually feels like a slightly bigger 130X to me.

Gaui's interest me though. They had their team pilots out at a fun fly I attended earlier this summer and those things are quick little mothers. I don't recall seeing any X2s but the bigger birds were cooking. The highlights of the event were speed runs and heli drag races and those Gauis were kicking butt.

Last edited by Nelsonisms; 07-26-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I see they have a "Formula" version - is that for speed?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both. The X2 comes all CF and Aluminum out of the box. The quality of the components are very good (some issues see below). Powerful motor. A lot of folks ditch the stock ESC, but the stock servos are good enough. I did just put a DS95i on the tail...mainly because I always wanted to try one.

It's a knife in the air, very precise. Spooling up without blades on the workbench I'm amazed at how quiet and vibration free it is, even at 4100 head speed the thing does not move at all.

Visually, it's about the same as the 300X in the air, though it does bother me that the only tail blade option is black. Makes it harder to see and the only fin choice is black as well. Some guys use the Lynx blades for the 300X, but you have to sand the root down. I have a set of KBDD blades for 250 sized helis, but they seem too small to me. I have not tried them yet.

The things I've had issue with component-wise:

* The screw that holds the head on the main shaft is tiny. It is countersunk and the head is threaded so no nut on the other side of it. Figure on replacing the whole head on a blade strike...unless you have a good way of backing the broken screw out. Even then it probably stripped threads.

* Some replacement grips I've purchased have come with bearings seated too tightly. More than one person has commented on that issue.

* The CF landing gear break if you look at them wrong. I switched to Align 250 gear, those work great.

I believe the only difference with the formula version coming out is the canopy and stronger boom struts. It may also come with a Vbar rather than BeastX.

Hope that helps. It really is a great heli, best one I have owned so far. But there are some things to pay attention to with it. I've heard people say that smaller helis take more to maintain. I've not owned anything larger than the 300X. But I can vouch that they do seem to take a lot of maintaining, lol.
dr_boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_boom View Post
* The screw that holds the head on the main shaft is tiny. It is countersunk and the head is threaded so no nut on the other side of it. Figure on replacing the whole head on a blade strike...unless you have a good way of backing the broken screw out. Even then it probably stripped threads.
Couldnt you just drill out the threads on the other side and use a longer jesus bolt with a nut. I just had this happen on my trex 250 with microheli head and it was a pita to get off.

The biggest hurdle I saw was kit and parts availbility ( I would love for someone to prove me wrong here as I want to get an X2)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ SHYguy.

Is there some Norwegian vendor for Gaui that I don't know about? Looks like they make great helis, but I haven't really considered them since I currently don't have enough helis to own one that is strictly import-only for parts.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 300X vs GAUI X2?

The 250 with a beastx is twitchy but you get used to that but it blows away the 300 in performance once setup well. It is pretty stable too and holds up well on a crash. But it has its issues too mostly related to crash survival.
The 300 flies slower like a larger heli the 250 is fast like a Hopped up 130. The 250 flies in a smaller area then the 300 but it gets small fast. If I had room I would get a x2
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Gaui X2 is a really nice helicopter that needs little if any upgrades. The CF frame is very solid, it has more aluminum parts and the only thing I upgraded was the boom supports. Overall much better quality compared to the 300 X. The 300 looks bigger because the canopy is bigger and is taller. Line up both heli's and from main shaft to tail and they are about the same. With the new Formula canopy the X2 probably will be more visible and looks closer in size.
My X2 came with a Scorpion motor and had so much more power than my 300 even after installing a Scorpion on my 300. The X2 is flys like it is on steroids compared to the 300. Both are belt drives and can use the same blades. The X2 uses smaller batteries however both heli's get the same flight time from my experience which was 4 to 4 1/2 minutes.
I believe the X2 would be better for more advanced pilots while the 300 X is a better fit for newer pilots.

d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^ excellent info there.

I've been tempted with the X2 for a while, but I read that the belt can snap/slip too easily or something which put me off.
Have you had any issues with the belt?

The Formula version, I believe has improved the boom supports.

My 1 year old 300X is feeling a little sloppy now. Maybe it's time for a new toy

X2 kit, £265 for everything except the FBL controller and the servos - only downside, a mini protos can be had for around the same money.

Last edited by stevebaker; 07-26-2013 at 02:48 PM..
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never had a problem with the belt. I've sold my X2 and bought an X5 btw. My buddy Jc has hundreds of flights on one belt on his x2.
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 300X vs GAUI X2?

The only non stock parts on my X2 are the HSC gears and I crammed Trex 250 dampeners into the head.

I used stock o ring dampeners on the belt guide pulleys to ensure the belt won't ride low on the drive gear. I mounted the motor on the rear mount for better CG and clearance between pinion and belt is close.

HSC is a member on HF. He makes tail drive gears. They are CNC aluminum gears. They are really nice, but I didnt need them. Stock worked fine for me.

I'm still using stock carbon landing gear. Been trouble free for me. I use 1/2" pieces of fuel tubing as skid nuts. Driveway is my landing pad. And I didn't like the idea of carbon scraping against concrete.

I have only had to lube bearings as preventative maintenance.

I bought this used and easily found all the parts I needed on Anythingheli.com.

Gaui corrected the run of bad blade grips. There was too much anodizing on the inside of the grips. Made the bearings fit too tightly.

Im flying 1000mAh GensAce now. They came with the heli. Canopy was tight due to how the wires exited those packs. They are getting tired. I'm waiting on new batteries.

I may replace the BeastX with an Ikon. I just prefer the Ikon. But other than that, I'm going to fly it like it is.

I enjoy that I can fly this one without always feeling like I need to upgrade. This one is trouble free and has had the lowest ownership cost for me. I've spent more on my Axe 100cp, but I've also crashed it 100 more times.

R71D
Sent from my phone, excuse the bad grammar and auto corrections.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post
I never had a problem with the belt. I've sold my X2 and bought an X5 btw. My buddy Jc has hundreds of flights on one belt on his x2.
And JC sure can pound the snot otta a heli...

I made one small/easy tail pulley mod to my X2 and now the belt never slips nor do I need worry much about belt tension. My last belt made it for 200 flights. It'd be nice if it were more, but belt changes are easy. And belts are cheap ($5).

I have no 300X experience, but I'd never trade my X2 away for the 300X. The X2 comes fully upgraded and flat out rips. The Scorpion motor has excellent power. I don't need a governor to keep a constant head speed. It has all the agility in the air that I'd ever want.

Once I added an extra tail pulley and put on orange Lynx tail blades for visibility, my X2 has been nothing but buckets o'fun.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow! Thx for great info guys! Very tempting! The size has lots of potential and is super easy to take with you!

@Itzo: Not to my knowledge. Flying-Hobby in HK sell them as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYguy View Post

Yup I had the trex 250 pro dfc and hated it. Power wise the 250 is superior in stock form but still flies like poop compared to the 300x. I sold the 250 and have kept my 300.
xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found my old 250 very squirrelly and much preferred the 300X, so I sold the 250. It was also more fiddly to work on and the tail didn't work very well either - though I never did try a DS95i on it.
With the Pro version, it seems people are converting to belt

Sounds like the X2 is a nice flying machine though

Last edited by stevebaker; 07-26-2013 at 04:21 PM..
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 300X vs GAUI X2?

I too sold my 250. I just barely bumped the tail and it stripped the front TT gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by linklemming View Post
Couldnt you just drill out the threads on the other side and use a longer jesus bolt with a nut. I just had this happen on my trex 250 with microheli head and it was a pita to get off.

The biggest hurdle I saw was kit and parts availbility ( I would love for someone to prove me wrong here as I want to get an X2)
The screw is countersunk so that the follower arms can move fully. You cannot put a nut on it.

Parts availability is pretty good imo. 3 vendors tend to have all I need. Anything Heli, Club Heli, and HeliDirect.
dr_boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in