Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How-to: Align 315 Pro on stock Belt CP

Thanx to Lex I decided to fit a pair off Align woodies on my stock blade grips.
As many people know, the stock blades are thicker (about 2 mm) than the Align Woodies.
A possible solution is to use some spacers, but this doesn't seem the best method.
This is what i did (again, thx to Lex, not my idea):
I unscrewed the blade spacers from a pair off stock Belt blades, to use them on the Align blades. They come off right away without any damage. Then unscrewed the thinner blade spacers from the Align blades (315 Pro wood), but these are glued ! Use a hobby knife to peel them off carefully.
Then use the Belt blade spacers to mark where want to you drill an extra 3,5 mm hole in the Align Blades. In fact, it's 3,7 mm, but by moving your drill a bit, it works. Have a look at the picture.
Finally, glue the Belt blade spacer on the Align woodies, and put the screw in, done.
I found that the newly made blades are still 0,5 mm thinner though. I will try to fit and fly them this week, hopefully they fly well, i will report later.
From top to bottom on the picture:
1) stock Belt blades with spacers unscrewed
2) Align PRO 315 woodies, spacers unscrewed and peeled off + extra hole drilled by using the Belt blade spacers.
3) Align woodies with Belt spacers glued on with CA.

Happy flying, you guys gave me already a lot of advice, so I thought it was time to add this little report...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BladeGrips.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	91256  
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just go to Ace Hardware and get four plastic washers!, use these and go fly.......
Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great write-up! I don't think I've ever seen this method explained quite so well.

Always seemed like too much work, though, so I always used four M3 1 mm nylon washers :o
T-Rex 600NP, T-Rex 500 ESP, HDX500 SE V2, HDX450 SE V3, T-Rex/Outrage SE V2, EXI450, T-Rex 250, CopterX/Guru-Z hybrid, HBFP separates, Lama V4, 2 x Walkera 4#3B
another_finn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_finn View Post
Great write-up! I don't think I've ever seen this method explained quite so well.

Always seemed like too much work, though, so I always used four M3 1 mm nylon washers :o
It litterally takes 2 minutes to do and imho it's a much better and safer way of doing it, You dont have to drill the hole for the locating dowl (to save time) i just cut it off and glue it on as long as bolt hole is correct it doesn't really matter.
Of course there's nothing wrong with using spacers, i just think that this method looks alot better and as though it's come from the factory like it, The main reason i first thought of this method was if like me and redbird your using stock plastic grip's over time the washer's wear into the plastic ultimately causing slop and even failure of the grip in flight!
Nylon would of course not be such a problem but most couldnt be bothered to source them and use metal ones instead.
lex7919 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Redbird
I'm glad you found it usefull looks great and it works a treat doesn't it,
Surprised you say theres still a gap though! mine always fit snug, do you think it's possible the grips have worn a little or been over stretched at some point? Even so i don't think 0.5mm is much to worry about at all. It's only 0.25mm top and bottom it's quite exceptable to tighten the grip to close such a small gap, wouldn't recomend this if the gap was much bigger though because you will stress the grips to much, we know what happen's next....
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I didn't say there was a real gap, only that I measured (using a caliper) that the new blades are 0,5 mm thinner. I agree with you that this should be no problem, just tighten the grips and it should be OK. I will be 100% sure in a few days, when I have tested it. And I'm glad that you explained why we don't use normal spacers. My experience till now with heli's is that you better do things as perfect as possible, but I have no doubt that normal spacers work, I only wanted something slightly better.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just finished putting the blades in the blade holders, and they fit nicely !
The very small difference in thickness is barely noticable. Once they are slightly tightened there is no difference what so ever, off course.
Too dark now to fly though, what a shame To be continued...
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice one Redbird.. got to be worth doing you must have more flex at the root with just a washer as a spacer
Ian 777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Indeed Ian, that would be another advantage. Anyway, it looks like its factory made now, and no messing around with these little spacers when you want to take the blades off. BTW, I sent you a PM about your DTS mod.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird300 View Post
I didn't say there was a real gap, only that I measured (using a caliper) that the new blades are 0,5 mm thinner. I agree with you that this should be no problem, just tighten the grips and it should be OK. I will be 100% sure in a few days, when I have tested it. And I'm glad that you explained why we don't use normal spacers. My experience till now with heli's is that you better do things as perfect as possible, but I have no doubt that normal spacers work, I only wanted something slightly better.

My mistake Redbird, i am slightly dislexic with word's it doesnt seem to effect my writting to much, some spelling isn't always 100% but not bad, it's reading when i get caught out, read something and think it said something else!
Anyway i'm glad they fit and your happy with it,
Spot on my friend exactly why i did it to.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tut tut You spelt Dyslexic rong Lex... How can Lex be dys...Lex...ic anyway
Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol
Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just hovered 2 packs with the modified Align blades as described above, and I'm 100% satisfied ! Better stability and better feel. These blades are really worth their money.
Case closed ! Just 1 more picture with the Align Blades fitted ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	91432  
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I did this too. I had the stuff around already, it was quicker, cheaper and easier than going to the LHS or hardware store...
thrustboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

quote=Ian 777;1245459] Tut tut You spelt Dyslexic rong Lex... How can Lex be dys...Lex...ic anyway[/quote]

Kinda proves the point hey bro.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not taking the P... bro I have moderately bad ADHD which blighted my early life pretty badly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in