Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Protos V2?

Protos Max V2 is almost out, Mini P has a thread going for a possible V2 Mini, now here's a thread for a V2 of the original.

What do you want to see besides the new 2-belt V2 drive?

I would love to see the head strengthened a bit and tail stretched to handle longer blades. Stock V2, 460-480 blades and stretch to 500-515 blades. My theory is that the V2 may add a little weight and it may fly as good if not better than V1 both stock and stretch.

Next thing is 12mm grips with spacers to fit a wider range of 10-12mm root blades with arms instead of the long stand link balls.

Anybody else?

XL Protos 380
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 to 470-480mm stock and 500-515 stretch.
Redesigned grips with slightly stronger grip arms, possibly a 6mm feather shaft. Should affect weight much.
Not concerned with 12mm grips as current blades with a 12mm root are generally sized and weighted for 550 machines, even the 515-520mm offerings with a 12mm root are generally too wide and thick and heavy to match well with the Protos' s weight and agility. Of course I would rather shim a 12mm grip than try to make a 12mm blade fit a 10mm grip.

I would like to see a tail setup similar to the Max where the belt can be removed sans disassembly of the tail case.
I also like the sacrificial 2 piece frame don't know if this is feasible on the 500, but I have broke the frame in front of the motor mount before.

The guys at MSH are artists for sure, I think the Max v2 setup is a definite home run.
I truly believe they can give us a P500, with the features we crave, while still holding to the quick, light, slick, and smooth feeling that defines the Protos line.
Of course we have to remember that one of the things we all love as fans of MSH is the ability to upgrade, which means a high level of reverse compatibility, retention of as many parts as possible, and an affordable component kit to bring our current P500 to the new standard.

All these ...ilities (ability, compatability, upgrade-ability, afford-ability ) require more than just artistry or ingenuity, it takes a healthy dose of Wizardry as well.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

A new 550 class bird, (V2 style of course)
Ability to stretch to 600, or shrink to 500
Also utilizing much of the Max design, Tail,head,etc
Ability to run 12 or 6 s
Many Xnova motor options
As 600 run 12s, 2x 2600 to share with Protos could become of the lightest 600 class if done right, and still be robust.
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thing of it is, if you go with a 600, you are no longer upgrading the 500, you
are creating an entire new heli.

I don't think the current head on the P500 will safely support more than a set of light, thin chord 500-510mm blades.
Sure you could upgrade the grips, but if you increase the diameter of the FS,
you are looking at an entire new head.

I agree that a 550-600 sized Protos would be quite marketable, but should be added later as market demands, not as a replacement for the current P500.

Most likely we will get the new driveline, possibly the new tail, maybe a solution to support the larger 500 class motors. If too much more is changed, I feel like the option to upgrade to V2 begins to fade.

Although I would Love to see a Double Race Swash Bearing.

I truly believe that the V2 drive system is the way to go, it has already been mentioned at least one other company is working on the same. It won't be long before others catch on and options start to appear.
That said maybe being the first to release a large 500 (540-599) with the V2 drive system could solidly seat MSH in the 550-600 class, I only hope that the current P-500 isn't left behind to do this.

I love my Protos and really appreciate the way MSH has continued to innovate and improve upon current models. Those who own an original Protos can easily upgrade it to the same carbon stretch fbl kit you can buy new.
MSH has managed to keep their product fresh and up to date all while supporting their current users, alot of companies throw out their current machine to create an new machine in hopes of attracting new customers while at the same time effectively causing the current Machines and often customers to fade into obscurity.

My biggest wish for the P500 V2 is to keep it within the limits of what is easily upgradeable. I don't want to have to toss a ton of spares or transplant/replace my current electronics to enjoy the V2.

No need to kill the dream tho, as 550/600 is the only class MSH is missing.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
No need to kill the dream tho, as 550/600 is the only class MSH is missing.
Not true, I would buy a micro Protos in a heartbeat, 200-250mm.

And part of the reason I would like to have a Protos with ~500mm blades is the availability of blade choices, there are only a couple in the stretch 470 size range. By giving it the capability to go into 500mm blades, it expands the choices. Halo & Cyclone are only 2 options I want to try on a Protos, particularly Cyclone but neither make 470 blades.

XL Protos 380
Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am all for 470 being the new standard P500 and the stretch being capable of running up to 515mm blades. When you start looking at blades bigger than that you get into 12mm roots, wide,thick and heavy blades suited for 550mm machines.

You got me on the Micro Protos, I kinda consider micros (220mm blades or less) a whole different machine, rather than a main stream class. Even still there is the 250-300 class. Which is currently being dominated by 300x and oxy 3.

Time will tell I think the move to 2 belts, OWB on the main, open tail, along with everything that is already great about the Protos, may soon put MSH in a position to add to the line as they see fit.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickr1 View Post
A new 550 class bird, (V2 style of course)
Ability to stretch to 600, or shrink to 500
Also utilizing much of the Max design, Tail,head,etc
Ability to run 12 or 6 s
Many Xnova motor options
As 600 run 12s, 2x 2600 to share with Protos could become of the lightest 600 class if done right, and still be robust.
I like this idea even though I just built a new Synergy 600 to replace my Logo 600. I could see an MSH 550/600 based on the Max V2 being a very nice machine.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
I am all for 470 being the new standard P500 and the stretch being capable of running up to 515mm blades. When you start looking at blades bigger than that you get into 12mm roots, wide,thick and heavy blades suited for 550mm machines.
On my list was 12mm grips because I did find that some of the blades the Goblin 500 would fly with have 12mm roots.

XL Protos 380
Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
I like this idea even though I just built a new Synergy 600 to replace my Logo 600. I could see an MSH 550/600 based on the Max V2 being a very nice machine.

//Dennis.
I realize that a Protos 550/600 is desirable for many people (not me, but many) but like it was said, a 550 would need to be a new machine instead of upgrading the original Protos.

XL Protos 380
Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Protos V2?

There are already heavier, longer helis out there that have bigger grips, and more belts and more complicated, Rube Goldberg drive trains thatll run full size HV servos and 24s lipos on 425 blades yet can be stretched to a ridiculously out-of-proportion, tail heavy 550 all on the same machine at 24,000,000,000rom. If that's what you want, go get one of those.

Leave the light, simple, reliable MSH helis alone dangit!

Ideally, MSH would make a 550 with a 600 stretch kit. A 6s motor option, and a 12s motor option. Leave it single belt drive, and make it light. I suppose I'd even forgive them for putting it on a carbon frame, as long as it's super light.

I'd fly a Protos 550 if they built one right. But not their existing 425 machine V2'd, or frankensteined into a 550. No fricking way.
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm looking for new V2 design, light, flexible option 550 not modded 470.
Yes, 550 as a new model, with many options. If 550 little to big, cut it down to true 500, or stretch it up to 600.( I truly think Protos could make this a true winner!) Lightweight, Robust design, All day cruiser or hardcore smacker!
If anyone can,, Protos can!
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd like to know if there is anything that could be improved in the head geometry to improve cyclic feel around center. I didn't fly the P500 much last year and I'm a much better flyer now (yes, I took a Aug to Julie break and I'm better do to the sim). Anyhow I need to try some different blade and dampers to see if I can get the odd fell out. Also more throw on roll.

Take care
Adroien
aterren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aterren View Post
I'd like to know if there is anything that could be improved in the head geometry to improve cyclic feel around center.
Run MSH hard 3D red dampers if you haven't. Find the thinest airfoil blades. They'll help a lot in improving near-center cyclic/collective feel.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

All opinions noted guys. :-)
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
All opinions noted guys. :-)
Always great to know some on is listening. I Salute MSH, OTS, Corrado and the Whole Team for doing a great job hearing and responding to our requests, with results that often come more quickly than other companies responses.

Its awesome to have a chance to give our opinion on making an already great heli even better.
More awesome still to have a voice in what the next great model will be.

Fly Steady
db
Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I realize I may be one of the few and it's a long shot at best but I've always liked the idea of the battery tray being inside the frame for a couple reasons. As long as the frames would need to be changed to accommodate the new 2-belt drive, I would love to see the battery moved internal. It's not a deciding factor, just a, probably lonely request.
Regardless of where the battery is put, please, please, please keep a spot inside the frame to mount the fbl. Early on I had a crash that tossed the boom mounted gyro 5 feet from where the heli hit, granted it was a cheap HobbyKing gyro at the time but now I'm using Ikon/Brain and I'm afraid to risk it the same way.

XL Protos 380
Old 07-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickr1 View Post
I'm looking for new V2 design, light, flexible option 550 not modded 470.
Yes, 550 as a new model, with many options. If 550 little to big, cut it down to true 500, or stretch it up to 600.( I truly think Protos could make this a true winner!) Lightweight, Robust design, All day cruiser or hardcore smacker!
If anyone can,, Protos can! [emoji106]
At first I thought this was a reasonable idea but now I would disagree. A 550 is too big for me right now and cutting it down sounded good at first. Normally stretching lightens disc loading and makes the heli fly a little bigger while adding minimum weight, right? So stretching to 600 would be beneficial, but cut it down and now you're increasing disc loading and potentially making a normally lightweight Protos fly like a tank. Why not just upgrade the original Protos to fly 470 - 510mm for those of us who like the un-intimidating size and make a new model 550-600 for those who want a larger heli without the inherent cost of a 700?

XL Protos 380
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 550 sized max v2

Just looking to build a max v2 and the cash in that heli is a lot more then a 550 sized heli. So a 550 could keep de $$$$ in this heli controllable
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 for a true 550 to share packs with the max. Most of the current 550 helis have heavy disc loading because they are cut down 600's. The design of the max v2 is perfect, just needs to be resized for a 550.

If you made it light and still reliable, it would be a winner.
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll chime in with a wish for a V2-style (dual belt) 520-550 machine that can share packs with a Max. That, a Max, and my Mini would be MSH-nirvana.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in