Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default no more dx8

i've been kicking around the idea of getting a new tx, did they stop making the dx8? i have the dx6i now and wanted a new spektrum tx. i read that the dx8 was very similar to the dx6i. what do you guys think would be a good replacement?
junior10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the DX8 is discontinued.

To upgrade from the DX6i, you'll want any one of the "Generation 2" transmitters - the new DX6, the new DX7, the DX9, or the DX18.

Here's a great sheet that describes all of the hardware and programming differences between them.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/Me...Comparison.pdf

I think for most modelers the DX9 would be considered top-of-the-line unless you have an application for 18 channels. I upgraded from a DX8 to a DX9 and I'm very happy with the DX9.
flightengr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior10 View Post
i've been kicking around the idea of getting a new tx, did they stop making the dx8? i have the dx6i now and wanted a new spektrum tx. i read that the dx8 was very similar to the dx6i. what do you guys think would be a good replacement?
The DX8 is similar to the DX6i in about name only IMO. The DX7s and DX8 was a huge step forward by a whole generation from the DX6i and DX7(original).The G2 radios are another step forward from the DX7s and DX8.
The DX7s and DX8 are discontinued but you may still find a new one for sale or even a used one may be a good bargain.They are still good radios and a big step up from DX6i. Your not likely to see any major feature enhancements as the evolution progresses though. The G2 radios are even more capable yet and features and functions are still regularly being added to make them even better.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the info, looks like i have some research to do.
junior10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes definitely research the features of all the options and search your own head about what you really need not only now but for where you plan on going in the future. We all have different needs.
Ask more questions if your not sure about something.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DX8 is back. They just announced the new DX8 Gen 2 at the Nuremburg Toy Fair yesterday. Spektrum will have a couple of new radios out.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DX8 will be back hopefully in May. Unfortunately I'm most likely going to be unemployed at that time and won't be able to buy a new transmitter. Doesn't matter though as I have a DX8 and love it and am glad that I chose that as my first radio.

Only things I like about the new version of the DX8 that I don't have on my current radio is that it's black, and has the voice alerts. Other than that it's not terribly different from the one I have now.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suggest Walkera Devo10 (cheaper, maybe as used) with DeviationTX firmware as a DX8 V1 replacement.

Got it myself used after DX8.
There are some Walkera MasterCP deals...

Depends on your needs/ if you want to have fancy airware menus and how many channels.

With the newer DX7 (falling prices 220eur including ar8000) and DX8G2/DX9 it may not be that easy to get an acceptable price for your DX8 V1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior10 View Post
The Dx6i vs DX8 V1 (EOL) is night and day as already pointed out.
Either for new airware firmware, haptik, sticks, display, led, 3-way switch count, throttle / throttle-out timer...to name a view.

The more flexible airware will be the DX8 G2 (newer DX18/DX9 airware).
Flying helis on the DX8 V1 will be just fine.
Even some warbirds / StrykerQ...
The airware is just not as flexible as the further developed DX18/DX9 airware...

-------------

There are so many protocols for micro/nano/pico quads and others supported on DeviationTX.
Now they are working on FrskyX/D16 protocol.
Best option is IMHO just to get away from Spektrum telemetry TM1000 modules and RX because of higher prices.

DX8G2 is missing 3-way switch (AUX2/Governor) top right (it has a knob like the DX7 G2).
I had seen DX7 G2 real live - HH product pictures of DX8G2 show me housing/switches will be the same.

The new short antenna look is IMHO not superb. DX9/DX18 looks better :-)

My Devo10 uses the traditional DX8 V1 look.

And supports 12CH DSMx including telemetry.

Gives me more value for the price than any newer DX6, DX7, DX8G2 [and DX9] transmitters :-) :-)

My German thread comparing and finding Mode 3 transmitter: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...Super-V2...%29

Thomas

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 02-26-2016 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: DX8 V1 vs Devo 10
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Who services Walkera radios? Ive never used one of their radios except maybe a cheapo rtf that came with one of the cheapo helis.
Do the Walkera radios have dual antenna systems?
I guess value is a subjective term.I may be wrong but I just dont see Walkera as being there at this point. Thats kind of off topic though.

The DX7G2 and DX8G2 both have 3way switches everywhere except the Hold and Gear switches(top rear A&H). Top front switches(B&G) are both 3way.
Maybe your confusing the switch configuration with the DX7s.

Not sure why you find the antenna housing look unacceptable.The active portion only goes partway up inside any of them. They all have dual antenna anyway.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Who services Walkera radios? Ive never used one of their radios except maybe a cheapo rtf that came with one of the cheapo helis.
Hi Aerocal,

I knock on woods that my Devo10 continues just to be working :-)
No HF-module had to be replaced so far (DX8 V1 HF was exchanged by HH).

Actually I have NOT heared so far from dealers, distributors or Walkera itself to service them, true.

Maybe XciteRC (DE company) as they seem to sell Walkera stuff including RTF sets (Furious 320 comes with Devo10 as RTF)?
There are some dealers here in DE who sell Walkera transmitters as well as. Not sure who the DE/EU distributors are they buy from.

This is one of the reasons probably I would go for a Taranis/Open9X instead of Devo12s (+CE, +declaration of conformity, + ETSI EU compatible protocol) in that price range.

Quote:
Do the Walkera radios have dual antenna systems?
They (Spektrum) all have dual antenna anyway.
No, the Devo10 is just like DX8 V1 - no diversity.
But at least it uses the "old antenna design" where you can move it 90 degree sideways.

(Only) the DX18, DX9 and the DX8G2 have diversity: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/Me...Comparison.pdf
Newer DX6 G2, DX7 (G2) have no diversity.
A newer DX6 G2 (G3? :-)) was announced at toy fair 2016 to get diversity.
Not sure about DX18T(ray), wasn't DX10T single fixed antenna?

Quote:
I guess value is a subjective term.I may be wrong but I just dont see Walkera as being there at this point. Thats kind of off topic though.
Well, F12E starts to be DeviationTX compatible without USB file system support like 10/12s (special DeviationTX uploader).

Haptic, color and display (+more switches) are better on the DX9 as the Devo10, that for sure.
But transmitter still supports not 12CH and has not all features (edit menu) of DX18 or OpenTX/Taranis, not as many mixers as DeviationTX.

On the other point the Devo10 is not in the same price category like the DX9.
So it is more a channel count thing.
Graupner MX20 e.g supports for that price and better telemetry 12 channels.

What can you get max for your small money...that is the question...

Quote:
The DX7G2 and DX8G2 both have 3way switches everywhere except the Hold and Gear switches(top rear A&H). Top front switches(B&G) are both 3way.
Maybe your confusing the switch configuration with the DX7s.
No, not DX7s.
I am not talking about the smaller D/R ELEV / AIL switches.

http://www.horizonhobby.de/spektrum-dx8-g2.html

DX7G2 and DX8G2 (same hardware has DX7) have the knob front right where a 3-way AUX2/Governor switch was before on the DX8 V1.

The DX8G2 will not be a 1:1 DX8 V1 replacement.
DX8 V1 had the knob at the backside.

Thomas
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in