Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Did anyone else learn without a sim?

Just wondering if anyone else didn't use a sim to learn...I had been flying plankers for a few years and then got a blade 120sr. I spent TONS of time on the 120, and felt comfortable on it then got a Mini CP and Venture .30.

I can inverted hover and tic toc, and I've never used a sim.

Thankfully I haven't had any crashed on my Venture yet.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Nubb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Used a sim many yrs ago but prettty much taught myself to fly helis w.o one

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sims used to not even exist - a sim helps accelerate your learning but is not required.
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdispatch View Post
Sims used to not even exist - a sim helps accelerate your learning but is not required.
Haha, I wasn't asking if it was required either way.
Nubb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned on my mSR without a sim. Until I got my DX6i I had a terrible time trying to fly. I got my Phoenix about a year and half ago. I've not really used the sim that much, more of a rainy day activity. I prefer to actually have a real heli in front of me. But then I ran out and got a Flymentor, realized after I bought that I didn't need it either and never used it. Just my perspective, Dale

EXI 450 Beater / 450 EC-135 / 450 OH-58 Kiowa / 450 MD 500 / EXI 450 AH-6 Little Bird / EXI 500 (the flying woodchipper!) / HK500GT UH-1E Huey / EXI 500 EC-135/ Love the scale!
dfgipe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

"get a sim" is more of a dogma mentality then a requirement in my opinion.

I started out without one as well. Eventually I got one but by then I could already hover in all but nose in and could fly the 8's. For me the sim was more for fun than practice. I can't think of anything the sim really helped me out with that I couldn't do on a heli if I simply gave a little more altitude.

Also, I didn't have any help in learning to fly...all on my own. Personally I believe just having a skilled pilot next to you will do more good. I have on a few occasions had just that. It's amazing how fast you can pick something up by having someone simply say, add collective here or aileron there etc. as you make a mistake.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubb View Post
Haha, I wasn't asking if it was required either way.
I'll rephrase it then

Yes, a ton of people have learned without a sim.
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im just getting into the hobby and couldn't imagine learning without a sim.

Basically just backwards flight and all inverted flight would seem impossible without the sim. unless you had endless heli's to crash!
aloys24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Started with glow RC fixed wing in 73. Switched to electric scale hydros in 2000. Went E-Helis with a 120 SR then MCPx last year. Never been near a simulator.

I'm 128 years old /2

Garry
SplashN'Crash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I learned to fly before home computers were even common, there was no such thing as a RC simulator. There are a lot of people that I know that learned without sims.

With all of that said, I still will recommend a sim to all noobs that I help get started. Plank or heli. It does make learning faster.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i was flying mcpx without a sim and was able to hover learn forward flight and loops. once i started trying inverted hovers i just couldnt learn and i broke down and bought a sim. u can learn to fly without one but to really progress the sim has helped a bunch.
ritzcrakers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

When started about 11 years ago I could barley afford the heli I had, so there was no sim. Just me chasing a Nexus 30 with training gear on around some soccer field. I did get one about 2 years later, but by that time the basics were pretty much down.
Train Fixer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think people who learned without a SIM in the 80's and 90's had a MUCH longer learning curve than people do now.

Now you have young guys learning who progressed to a level in the first year that would have taken people in the 80's 5++ years to get to.

I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to this rule, but to the average guy with average skills, the SIM just allows you to learn at a rate that might be 5-10x faster than without the sim.

The mcpx and electric heli's in general have also sped up the learning curve
aloys24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started without a sim. After the cost of crashes started adding up, I figured I would end up saving money with the sim. The sim is where I really got comfortable flying nose in. Although I think flying sim, and the real thing aren't really the same experience. The sim is where I go to try new things. For example, I do funnels perfect on the sim. Not so perfect for real, but from learning on the sim, I know how to get out of a funnel going bad, without crashing.
So a sim is not a must have, but it's really nice to have, and for most people, a money saver.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
using Tapatalk
9K4O
breathe rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The sim has saved me thousands of dollars, dozens of crashes, and along with constant real life practice, has allowed me to progress tremendously in this hobby.

Used properly, the Sim is one of the best investments you can ever make in this hobby IMO.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned basics without a sim, but as soon as i got a sim my skills skyrocketed. I nailed consistant piro flips a mere 8-9 months after picking up my first CP.

Learning without a sim is def possible, but why potentially slow your learning down while simultaneously draining your wallet from crashes? Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

RADDS RC Helicopter course and a Blade 400 was what I used to learn with, Have a sim now but just doesn't cut it for me.

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Used a sim in the LHS a few times it's like a video game I I bought a450 trex years ago brushed motor cheap servos never could figure out pitch curves or any of that stuff so I sold it A couple of years ago Ibought a syma 107 and learned to fly it then I got a exceed 300 and the guy i got it from showed me how to take off and land and i've been doing great without 1 so no you don't need asim i'm 71 yrs old lanny
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
RADDS RC Helicopter course and a Blade 400 was what I used to learn with, Have a sim now but just doesn't cut it for me.
I started with RADDs also with a Blade CP pro. after about 3rd pack it was boring. lol 7th battery i was doing FF got videos on my youtube. I did fly a sim back in the 90s when the helis and planes looked like boxes you could set them up close to what your heli did my father had 30 and 50 sized helis but never let me fly his real ones. But i pretty much learned how to fly heli alone. only thing I used the sim for was inverted but if I would have had a MCPX i would never used the sim Im sure

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned User

No sim here.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in