Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner's settings for Blade 450

Just about ready to have the maiden flight of my Blade 450 3D, I have been flying my MSR and 120 SR fairly well for several months now with no real problems, also been practicing on the Phoenix Simulator. The DX6i comes programmed with a "Intermediate and Advanced" settings. I would like to start out with a "Beginners" settings where i can practice my hovering, circles, and figure 8s without "over input control". Just would like to "Tame" the 450 down to get used to it then move up to the Intermediate and Advanced settings when i feel comfortable.

This is a great site with tons of good information, keep up the great work!

regards
Rob
Rob357 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forgot to include that my radio is a Spektrum DX6i

Thanx again
Rob

Last edited by Rob357; 12-02-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Intermediate settings, with the D/R switches at the 0 position are very tame. The throw on the cyclic servos is limited to 50%.

In some ways I didn't like the above settings because it made the B450 feel sluggish compared to my mCPX.

With intermediate settings, D/R switches to 1. this is a true intermediate settings.

With Advanced settings, D/R switches to 0, it is about the same as the intermediate with D/R at 1. Maybe with a slightly quicker piro rate, and higher head speed at idle up.

With Advanced settings, D/R switches to 1, your exploring more of the max potential of the B450.

I'm running Advanced settings D/R at 1, but my idle up is only set to around 90%.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They call them intermediate because they don't want to mislead people into thinking that any settings could make a 450 CP a beginner heli.
j4jenk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, i did get 2 setting list that tames down the 450. I have tried one of them and so far so good. The 450 settled right into a stable hover, circles, figure 8 were smooth also.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread !

So am I correct in assuming that, once I get used to my B450 (RTF) in stock form, on the Intermediate settings on the DX6i, that I can flick all three Dual Rate switches to the "1" position, and this will make the bird more lively ?? (In a similar way to the "Hi-Rate" on my 120SR ??)
mCPX BL Goblin
CyclicPete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is correct. Also, your DX6i, because it was in the RTF package, will also have a profile already setup for the 'advanced' settings that you can also use.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-tips.html
When I first started I found this guy and his inexpensive e-books great help!
AR 7000, DS610's cyclic, Quark gyro & DS620 on tail
Capt.Chip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I have the same experience. I've been flying my 120 without any problems for months and just went to the blade 450. the only difference is I have a 9503 JR radio. I tried to follow the DX setting but I'm having some problems with negative pitch. I can hover the heli and move around but when I bring the throttle down to land, the heli pounds it’s self into the ground. Not good for parts.

How do I get this negative pitch out of my heli for a more controlled landing? This is my first heli with cyclic pitch.
pingpong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank You Capt Chip!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is normal operation to be landing but still have high head speed. The altitude is controlled by the pitch now, and not by head speed. Technically you could adjust the pitch curve to be more like your fixed pitch heli, but this would not really teach good habits and later on when you actually 'need' negative pitch, you'll have to learn all new stick positioning.

Also remember, if a crash is imminent, do NOT chop the throttle stick down. Always use the throttle hold instead.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
Hi,

I have the same experience. I've been flying my 120 without any problems for months and just went to the blade 450. the only difference is I have a 9503 JR radio. I tried to follow the DX setting but I'm having some problems with negative pitch. I can hover the heli and move around but when I bring the throttle down to land, the heli pounds it’s self into the ground. Not good for parts.

How do I get this negative pitch out of my heli for a more controlled landing? This is my first heli with cyclic pitch.
I've noticed that too - my training gear absorbs the shock at the moment, but I can imagine it being quite hard on parts.

What seems to be the thing to do is that when you get close to the ground, hit TH and it will land gently...the positive pitch you had will still be there.

That's just theory for me at the moment as I haven't had it hovering for that long yet!!
peteinman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've noticed that the intermediate settings have the TH set at 10%. Obviously this is for a reason, that reason is just eluding my logic at the moment. 0% TH is to keep the rotor blades from continuing to spin in the event of a crash, so what does 10% do? Could anyone expound on this idea and clear things up for me?
chemicalflava is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalflava View Post
I've noticed that the intermediate settings have the TH set at 10%. Obviously this is for a reason, that reason is just eluding my logic at the moment. 0% TH is to keep the rotor blades from continuing to spin in the event of a crash, so what does 10% do? Could anyone expound on this idea and clear things up for me?

Per Mike Graham...

There is an offset in the DX6i that is not present in other radios. The 10% in throttle hold allows you to bind/power on with throttle hold off or on. Without the 10%, if you powered up your helicopter in throttle hold and then switched to normal mode with throttle trim centered, the motor would begin spinning. The 10% prevents this from happening
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah, makes sense. Thank you very much! I can now sleep tonight.
chemicalflava is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a DX6i new about a month ago to go with my nano cpx. Interestingly the 450 3D intermediate and advanced settings were programmed in my radio even though it was not purchased with a 450 3D
OXY 3, LYNX Heli Innovations Team Pilot
Teeyo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeyo View Post
I bought a DX6i new about a month ago to go with my nano cpx. Interestingly the 450 3D intermediate and advanced settings were programmed in my radio even though it was not purchased with a 450 3D
Mine did, as well. Almost as tho they read our minds when ordering.

I got mine off ebutt for about 150.00.

Now I can copy model settings 9 to model 1 and fool with the settings. If I screw it up I can just over-write 9 back to 1 and start over.

When I get it like I want, I can then copy #1 settings back to the 9 slot and save them there

At least, I think (hope) its how it works.
Häcksler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reading this, I checked my DX6i, that I bought separately. It's pre-programmed on 9 & 10 as well. Cool, since my 450 3D is on it's way.
DX9, DX6i, Blade Nano CP X, ZYX "Blade" 130X, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 230S, Blade 300X, Blade 450 3D (about 2 b FBL; have the parts, not the time), Blade 180QX, Blade 230S V2, Convergence, Mini Convergence.
Neunerball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclicPete View Post
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread !

So am I correct in assuming that, once I get used to my B450 (RTF) in stock form, on the Intermediate settings on the DX6i, that I can flick all three Dual Rate switches to the "1" position, and this will make the bird more lively ?? (In a similar way to the "Hi-Rate" on my 120SR ??)
Or just tie the dual rates along with idle up all on the same switch. F mode.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's set up that way stock, when you flip flight mode from 0 to 1, D/R, throttle, pitch, gyro settings all switch from mode 0 to 1. That's why it's so important to check all 3 modes (hold) when changing settings!

The other switches are dead in the stock programming.

Joe

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in