Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Determining channel output

Hi guys. After autoing into a wheat field recently, and spending almost an hour trying to locate my heli, I decided to place a simple switch activated location alarm on my heli.

It simply plugs into any channel and is switch activated with any negative side of the channel starting the alarm.

I have GPS and are filled up on my FBL unit, however Im using IO-B and C for dual power from flight my pack, and SW-A is being used by my GPS LED, so there are channels that I could tap into that are currently only being used for power and nothing else.

My issue is trying to figure out how to match up my TX to one of those channels I have Aux2 available to me on my DX9 and can easily assign my switch of choice, but how do I get that available channel connected up so I'm driving a specific one on my FBL unit since there is no way to assign specific channels such as this in the UI.

I would assume anyone who is using retracts, lights or any other non flight function on an open channel has done this successfully

Thanks!

EDIT: I took a servo and randomly tried various ports until my Aux2 switch moved the servo in one of them, so at least I now know that Aux2 controls the IO-B channel on my FBL unit by default.

Not sure if this is the only way to figure this out, but it will work for me since that channel is only being used for power, so I can tap a servo Y into it for the alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Taranis has a signal strength function - I used that to find lost aircraft.

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use a Y cable on the throttle output of the FBL.
When you lose it in the wheat field again, turn off the transmitter.

The fail safe setting would be set to drop the throttle channel to 0.

All you need is an model locator that has a pulse width decoder and a load speaker to send out a tone when the throttle goes to 0

I see them advertised in the AMA magazine
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Use a Y cable on the throttle output of the FBL.
When you lose it in the wheat field again, turn off the transmitter.

The fail safe setting would be set to drop the throttle channel to 0.

All you need is an model locator that has a pulse width decoder and a load speaker to send out a tone when the throttle goes to 0

I see them advertised in the AMA magazine
That is what I have and managed to get it working well.

The simple little plug in device will alarm if it loses TX connection or activated by switch.

http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/Products.html

I considered tapping into the throttle, however there is no zero throttle in TH when using a Castle ESC with auto bailout activated. I do have a switch set to give me zero to arm the ESC, but I don't want the alarm screaming every time I have the switch set to zero to arm or for safety reasons.

I was able to determine that my TXs AUX2 channel is controlling the IO-B port on the SK, so I tapped into that lead since it was only being used for power from my flight pack and can now trigger the alarm anytime I wish by switch or it will be automatic in the event of lost TX connection
Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickn816 View Post
My Taranis has a signal strength function - I used that to find lost aircraft.

Rick
I thought of this concerning the GPS option as I walked a grid pattern through the field. It should be easily possible to track the helis precise position using the GPS module if we had a remote Bluetooth app to read the RT data coming from it........hint , hint Art
Old 11-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bluetooth range is maybe 50' - so you would ave to be close to the model and a GPS wouldn't be much help.

But, a cellular dongle for the 720? That would do the trick.

Or a HUD unit with the 2.4Ghz downlink. Add in real time FPV with OSD and bob's your uncle.

Or, don't crash. Cheaper all around.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Bluetooth range is maybe 50' - so you would ave to be close to the model and a GPS wouldn't be much help.

But, a cellular dongle for the 720? That would do the trick.

Or a HUD unit with the 2.4Ghz downlink. Add in real time FPV with OSD and bob's your uncle.

Or, don't crash. Cheaper all around.
Good point on the BT. I didn't factor in its usable range.

Just don't crash is the best option In this case it wasn't really a crash, but just a unplanned and early landing. I pulled a bone head move and grabbed an already flown pack when getting distracted by talking to someone. This despite having flown/unflown markers on my packs, so Im not sure how I managed this one

I got way out and about 200 feet high and head the LVC kick in so I dropped throttle and just autoed down. Unfortunately I didn't have the distance to avoid landing in the tall grass area.

I also learned that my eyes are damn liars! The heli wasn't found anywhere near where I "thought" I set it down!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

These work very well. Good range.

http://www.loc8tor.com

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in