Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scale helicopter low head speed question

Im starting with a trex500 dfc pro. I bought the Castle Talon 90 esc. I'm switching the head to a non dfc head for lower head speed. What KV motor should I go with? The brand of motor doesn't matter. I'm trying to not go with a scorpion. Also is there a proper pinion and main gear size I should start with? Thank you and I appreciate any input
ericrechlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What headspeed do you want to run at, what heli is this going into? Need to know this before we can give any advice.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, need details as above. Current gears, flying style, # of blades etc ?

RPM = kV x (3.7V x # of cells) x 0.9 x pinion teeth / main gear teeth = rpm at 100% towards the end of the flight.

For CC ESCs you want to run the governor between 90-95%.

My 500 sized UH-1N runs at 1700rpm - not sure if this what you had in mind with "low headspeed" ?

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm new to this for sure. I just want my 500 set up right the first time so I don't need to keep switching out anything as I go. Scale is what I've always wanted to do. Thank you for your input
Old 08-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going with the AS350 fuse from RC Areodyne. I'm looking maybe 1200 or so for head speed. Starting with a 2 blade non dfc head. I don't have the pinion and main gear yet. I just would like to set up my trex500 pro the right way out the gate.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would not recommend going as low as 1200rpm on a 500, especially with only two blades. It may fly, but I suspect that you will have a number of problems, starting with poor tail response.

I am afraid I can't be of more help until the number of variables are narrowed down. Looking at the calculation above that only that seems even potentially known is that it is likely to be 6s - with no gearing it is impossible to determine a motor kV.

Perhaps set yourself up a spreadsheet where you can input the available gear data, and get some options for a motor. I think you may struggle to find a 500 sized motor that is around 800kV ( a guess).

Good luck with your project and keep us updated with how it goes.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the response. I'm trying to get any info I can but I'm guessing I'll set it up with what I have for a motor and test things as I go. I'm new to all of this is my problem. Thank you for your input again. I greatly appreciate any response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in