Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to the 700 - Questions and My first opinions

Ok, I got my 700 today - my first 90, and the first Align product in a long time.

I have a couple of questions here....
Is it worth installing the Mod-1 Main gear?
I want to install metal tail grips, should i use the align ones or pay more than double & get the Quick UK?
where can I find some replacement screws for the servo install? I dont want to use these align ones - I think they are made out of recycled cow manure

My first opinions
The hardware included with this kit is complete and utter &^&W@ trash.
(I have ordered replacement shoulder washers/hardware)
Overall the kit is very nice for the price, I plan on flying this one for a while & there are only a few areas I think need upgrades/tweaking
The bearing quality isnt very special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_G View Post
Ok, I got my 700 today - my first 90, and the first Align product in a long time.

I have a couple of questions here....
Is it worth installing the Mod-1 Main gear?
Not sure what you're asking. There is the new Align -1 maingear which is still Mod0.7 but is slightly oversized. Then there is the MicroHeli maingear which is Mod 1.0 and comes with a mating steel pinion gear. I'm running the M1.0 gear and I am quite happy. However, read the "bone stock" thread and you'll find many folks flying straight out of the box with no problems.

Quote:
I want to install metal tail grips, should i use the align ones or pay more than double & get the Quick UK?
I like the QuickUK ones since they use two radial bearings (+thrust) instead of only one like the Align grips.

Quote:
where can I find some replacement screws for the servo install? I dont want to use these align ones - I think they are made out of recycled cow manure
Humm, I'm very happy with the self-tapping servo screws. Never a problem whatsoever and of the many screws on the 700, I've never read complaints (until yours). The little plastic frame inserts to hold the screws are well thought out and work fine.

Quote:
My first opinions
The hardware included with this kit is complete and utter &^&W@ trash.
(I have ordered replacement shoulder washers/hardware)
I ordered the Liron shoulder washers (first batch) but never installed them. For me, they stand up too tall. After a problem early on with getting the lock-tite in the CF shoulder hole (very hard to remove), I've never had another issue. I'd go as far to say that I really like the Align frame screws; low profile, blend right into the frames, and are very secure. It's all about good tools and technique. I've had both my 700n and 700e apart many times and have never ruined one since that first disassembly last year.

Quote:
Overall the kit is very nice for the price, I plan on flying this one for a while & there are only a few areas I think need upgrades/tweaking
Except for the recycled manure? Gonna have to make up your mind.

Quote:
The bearing quality isnt very special
So I've heard said. After many, many flights on my 700n (since back in September or so) and now more and more flights on my 700e, I've never had one go notchy. No crashes, though.

Happy flying!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd basically echo what cbdane has said, I've had no problem with the Align supplied fixings and after nearly 12 months, my motor has been in and out a few times, as has the clutch stack plus the boom occasionally and I've yet to round out or strip a single screw, none have shaken loose either. As long as the tools use to fit them are good quality there shouldn't be a problem (I seem to be the only 250 owner who's only ever stripped the head of a single screw as well!).

Although I was still on my original maingear after 30 gallons of fuel through it, I decided to fit the MicroHeli Mod 1 gear & pinion but after a few weeks use I was stripping the heli to fit the Align metal clutch stack housing and found lots of white dust and inspecting the gear, some of the teeth have quite a significant amount of wear so I've fitted the original pinion & gear back in the heli again.

I've used both the Quick UK & Align metal tails, the Quick UK hub I have only has a 3mm grub screw to retain it and the dimple in the shaft is quite large, as a result the hub tends to loosen slightly and rock on the shaft. I had heard that Quick UK were changing to M4 grub screws, same as the Align hub so this may no longer be the case. As the Align tail has an M4 grub screw it stays tight on the shaft, in use I can't really tell the difference between the Align or Quick UK tails.

The only bearings replaced have been the mainshaft bearings after a crash, this left them notchy so I replaced with aftermarket bearings which are fine.

One upgrade I would recommend is to fit the Quick UK ball & link set during the build. The Align links are fine when new but tend to develop some slop after 15 or so gallons, the Quick UK links stay tight. Fitting the Quick UK links after the build is a royal pain as you have to renew every ball & link, the only ones not replaced on the whole heli are the radius arms & balls from the washout mixer & swash.

Trex 600N Sport, 700N , Trex 250, Beam E4, Trex 550E, Raptor E550, Mikado Logo 500 3D, now a happy user of Futaba 10CG
stevehonn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

On the bolt/screw/hardware situation, I guess everyone feels differently about things, I personally will be replacing every bolt/screw in this kit, they are very low quality fasteners and i can see why people are having issues with the heads stripping out.

I will leave the stock main gear in there & see how it goes, If i make sure the mesh is good, Im sure it will help a lot

The Quick UK link kit is already on its way to me..
Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Id change the sholder bolts install the updated main gear and put in different clunk line
LONEWOLF2440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

By updated main gear, do you mean the new version from align?
Also, what is the issue with the clunk line? i have some hayes line & can change it out
Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definately change the clunk line to hayes. Align line is dookie.
Heligunner60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
So I've heard said. After many, many flights on my 700n (since back in September or so) and now more and more flights on my 700e, I've never had one go notchy. No crashes, though.
Strange... I had only 9 quite easy flights in mine before I changed the bearing blocks to KDE Direct. When I took out the original upper block it already had a notchy bearing. I have a kit that dates back to last summer (even though it has been flying only for two months now) so maybe they have started using better bearings in later kits.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by masu View Post
Strange... I had only 9 quite easy flights in mine before I changed the bearing blocks to KDE Direct. When I took out the original upper block it already had a notchy bearing. I have a kit that dates back to last summer (even though it has been flying only for two months now) so maybe they have started using better bearings in later kits.

Whats really funny is that there have been people stating that the quality of align bearings/fastners have been poor for years, long before the 700......

But there is always someone who says that the problem never existed for them..

I am new to the 700, but Im not new to quality or lack-of.. I have flown align products before and this 700, although a very very good bird overall, has some issues that I will not leave alone.

I will not leave the stock fasteners in there, despite anyone who says they have not had problems - they are cheap junk
I will change the main bearings to better quality, and as needed I will replace the rest with non-align products.

But when you look at it from a different point of view, the cost factor of the 700 allows me the ability to change the things I am not happy with and still have a low cost 90 size bird....
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
But there is always someone who says that the problem never existed for them...
A little disappointed about the tone of your reply. I'll let my reputation on the forum vouch for my integrity. I went to some effort to provide detailed feedback to each of your questions from my experience, which even includes trying Liron's washers (ordered them the first or second day he announced them). I'm not sure what else you might ask for.

Whatever fasteners you end up with, I think you'll enjoy this heli!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
A little disappointed about the tone of your reply.
There was no intended tone...

It is a fact that some people see issues, but some never ever do.

i have had the same issue when I was flying my previous brand. some people had issues with their heli's that i never did...

and some issues everyone has..
Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
There was no intended tone...
It's all good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in