Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can now carry it by the handle and wheel it around.

All the electronics are connected and working.

Now I need to work on hinged battery charging wings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really like how this thing is coming along. Keep the updates coming.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a couple of those FMA parallel charging boards. One time one of the fuses blew while charging 6 batteries. No power went down the main charge cable into one of the batteries. I was unaware of this, and that the battery failed to charge. I flew that battery and it needless to say died .

I don't know if you routinely check the fuses post charging to see if everything went as planned but it would seem a little awkward the way it is encased. There is no easy way to monitor this.

I use it as a balance board only and use a squid now to supply power to the main leads.

Nice job so far.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsodhi View Post
I have a couple of those FMA parallel charging boards. One time one of the fuses blew while charging 6 batteries. No power went down the main charge cable into one of the batteries. I was unaware of this, and that the battery failed to charge. I flew that battery and it needless to say died .

I don't know if you routinely check the fuses post charging to see if everything went as planned but it would seem a little awkward the way it is encased. There is no easy way to monitor this.

I use it as a balance board only and use a squid now to supply power to the main leads.

Nice job so far.
I've never had a failure yet. Fortunately with the telemetry I'm getting back I have a fail safe.

Nightflyer made a great suggestion that I make the battery charging wings hinged and I've come up with some good ideas on how to just have them pop up when needed. I'm also thinking of a self stowing bifolding platform for the bottom MPA board.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

This will be set up for both AC and DC power at the airfield.

I'm waiting for a high current diode that I ordered for protection against connecting to the deep cycle batteries at the airfield backwards. I verified with Meanwell that there was no problem applying battery voltage across the output leads. The rectifying bridge pretty well protects the rest of the PS.

I will also be wiring in an LED voltage display with dual USB chargers so my cell phone won't get low when I'm at the airfield

Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like it's shaping up well. Really cool!
RCHN Ctzn #191, eXo 500, T-Rex 450L Dominator, Warp 360, Blade 130X, Blade Nano CPX + various toy models
tsoebirk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

mkovalcson, when you get a few minutes of free time, can you post a pic of the wire diagram for that A/C input/switch? I've got one of those coming in the mail soon for a charge box I'm working on, and want to make sure I wire it to my PSU correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	552270  

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

The switch has two sets of leads, both will work. I used the ones furthest away.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent. Thanks much!

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I will also be wiring in an LED voltage display with dual USB chargers so my cell phone won't get low when I'm at the airfield

Just get a duplex outlet with USB ports in them. That's what I put in my charging case, so I can plug in whatever and something usb at the same time. I did this as if someone else wanted to plug their charging setup in, they could plug into mine, and I could monitor the current they were pulling (I had 2 amp gauges, one for my whole case, and another for the duplex outlet) I'm going to be redoing my case this winter though. Much bigger case to house 2x 4010 duo's.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
Just get a duplex outlet with USB ports in them. That's what I put in my charging case, so I can plug in whatever and something usb at the same time. I did this as if someone else wanted to plug their charging setup in, they could plug into mine, and I could monitor the current they were pulling (I had 2 amp gauges, one for my whole case, and another for the duplex outlet) I'm going to be redoing my case this winter though. Much bigger case to house 2x 4010 duo's.
I looked at those, but this will be AC/DC.

AC Wall or Generator -> Meanwell PS - 27V DC -> PL8's

Solar powered deep cycle batteries at my airfield -> 13V DC -> PL8's

The LED will tell me how the deep cycle batteries are doing, and I can charge my cell phone at the airfield without running a generator.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

This morning I was eating some left over pizza and I started thinking about the folding charging wings for the charging tower.

So after finishing off the pizza, I started cutting on the pizza box and came up with this.

It folds flush with the sides of the charging tower and should pop up pretty quickly. Now I need to figure out how to make something similar that fits in the drawer...

Old 11-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

The drawer charging wings are now folding up and will fit into the drawer when it closes.
I need more small hinges and then I will make working prototypes.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang Mark, nice job so far.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just been sitting on the floor in my den all morning playing with cardboard while my wife and kids have been watching the old traditional Christmas cartoons

I've added a small locking latch to hold the folded wings in place snug against the charging tower.

The Charging case is now tall enough that there is plenty of room for 12/14S sticks.

The entire battery storage will be hinged initially on a 1" dowel and removable.
It will lean in slightly normally, but swing out just enough to make room for the hinged charging wings.

I'm thinking Lexan hinged on the inside lower than what is shown.
Configurable battery storage for different sized batteries.

Here is a cardboard prototype of my 3rd iteration on the battery storage.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the kind words !

I'm having a blast working on this!

I have a bunch of hinges ordered and a wide assortment of screws ordered from McMasterCarr. When that arrives I'm going make the first iteration on fully functional folding charging wings.

I can work on the hinged battery storage first since I have everything I need except the right sized clear lexan. I'll make my first cut with plywood and get it all sorted before using lexan. My new heat gun is here and I can finish soldering up the Charging cables too.

If that all comes together well, I'll take my first stab at a finished look on the outside and order some textured ABS plastic.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man you're moving pretty quick. Looks like it's gonna be a short winter LOL. I wonder how well rigid sheet foam would work for the wings? You can get it at office max pretty cheap. You could use hinge tape instead of hinges. If it would hold up it would save some weight as well as $. Just a thought.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
foolforspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

if we are talking "ultimate"

I'd recommend some attention to the balance lead extensions. The pin end is not a cable connector, its a board mount connector. the pins will eventually push in from insertion force.but yours do have the nice PVC jacket wire. potting that end of the connector might fix it.

if you look at the buddyrc version, the pin end is soldered to a board. the board supports the pins. but, i don't like the silicon wire, its too flexible and doesn't protect the conductor. I get a lot of conductor breaks in these. http://www.buddyrc.com/12-6s-jst-xh-...ion-cable.html

I think maybe someday, when I have some spare time, I'll solder the nice EPbuddy connectors to the pigtails with the durable wire.
Lynx
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting thoughts on the balance leads. I have had one of these fail on me over the last year. If the buddyRC versions will hold up better, the $24 to switch over is negligible on this project.

I think 8" leads would work better for my application. 12" is a bit long with how well the batteries will be positioned.

http://www.buddyrc.com/8-6s-jst-xh-extension-cable.html

If I order up a bunch of cables from them, I'll get 4 x 7S extenders as well thinking ahead to Spring

http://www.buddyrc.com/12-inch-7s-js...ion-cable.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in