Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well that sucks. I was lucky. I had soldered some deans connects on a few batteries and when I oulled one out one of the wires pulled right off a connector. Luckily, I noticed before ever using it. I'm extra careful about it now. It's easy t do a cold solde job if you don't have a good soldering iron.

Sorry about the malfunction, and especially the $$$. That's a lot to have to part with after a new build. You're going a be an expert 550 builder at this point!

I'm going to go to a funfly tomorrowl. I just heard about it from the guys. Should b a lot of fun.

Later,
Tam
Tam_T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Courtney, so sorry about the 550 but as Tam says you will be an expert builder. At least the first crash on it is behind you now!
Tam , are you going to the Fun Fly to fly or as a spectator? I'm sure either way you will have fun.
I flew 4 batteries in the fieldhouse today but I don't push myself there as there are a lot of people and a lot of small foamie planes. Some guy with a large homemade jet came about 1 foot over my heli today. He's not even supposed to be down where I was. Very close!
Tomorrow is a swap meet so I will look for good deals. Last one I picked up some night blades for the MT.
Hope everyone gets to fly this weekend.

Lynbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's cool you have an indoor place to fly. I'm lucky out here in SoCal that we have some damn nice weather. I went to the fun fly on Saturday. It was a bit different than I thought it would be.....so many planes. I still had fun hanging out and watching guys like Ben Storick fly. I think he said he was a sophomore in high school! He had a Protos V-bar heli that screamed!

I fly on Sunday, no crashes, that's always good! It was great weather on Sunday until the wind kicked up a bit. I went through 5 batteries, though. I can't wait to get better. I just need to put in some more stick time. It's hard juggling hobbies!

Lyn, I think I would have sh*t my pants if some plane had come over and flew in my space. Not only is it distracting for those of us still learning so much, but also so stressful. Glad it all worked out. Oh, and a swap meet for heli parts? That's awesome!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No flying for me this weekend. It was way too windy both days. Hoping to get in some flying this week to test out the rebuilt 550. Going to the funfly in Mullberry, FL this coming weekend. Hope the weather is decent.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

The weather has cooperated the last few days so I got out on Sat and flew 4 batteries on the MT in my church parking lot. Then yesterday was beautiful around 70 and lite winds. I got in 3 tanks on the Raptor and 3 batteries on the MT. Then on the 4th battery with 2 minutes to go I was practicing pirouettes and I must have moved my right thumb because all of a sudden it was over my head. I tried to save it but when it was about a foot off the ground sideways next to me I hit throttle hold. Not much damage, blades, main gear, shaft, flybar, canopy mount and some good dings in the canopy. I had all of the parts and it is just about rebuilt. Need to get it going as the weather for the next couple of days will be very good.
Tam, the swap meet wasn't just for helis. It was everything. We picked up some good airplane arfs for club raffle prizes. There was a guy there selling some newly assembled Trex 600's which looked really good but I don't have that kind of money right now.
Courtney, hope you get a chance to get that 550 going. Of course your weather should be pretty good all winter.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's one good thing about south Florida...the weather is pretty good for flying nearly all year long. We have to deal with winds a little more than most, but if you learn to fly in wind it makes calm weather flying easier.

The 550 is actually ready to go now. Just hoping to get some flights in before the funfly this weekend. I think the rest of the week is supposed to be nice as far as wind goes. And its on the cool side. Bye bye heat and humidity!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My husband always says "Wind, what wind?" You're right as the more I fly in windy conditions the easier it seems when it is calm. One good thing about cooler weather is less bugs (yellow jackets, bees, flies, mosquitoes) though we have had a lot of Asian Ladybugs which do bite if upset.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, no real flying this weekend, although I will be taking my sim out to the desert with me. Hopefully, I will have some down time to sit in the RV and practice a bit. I definitely notice a big difference flying in the wind. I hear with the new v-bar systems wind doesn't affect flight at all and the heli practically hovers itself. Sounds too easy to me! I may start getting up a bit earlier in the morning to fly during the week now that we are back to standard time.

Are you two flying this weekend? If so, I hope you get in some good flights!

Tam
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll be flying in Mulberry this weekend. I was checking the weather today and it's supposed to be partly cloud, upper 70's, and wind 5 to 10mph. Hope it stays that way. I haven't flown in a while. Been working long hours this week so no sim time either.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hope the weather cooperates Courtney. I finally took the time to set up the Phoenix simulator so that it flies similiar to my MT. I think I will be getting in more sim time now. I flew on it for a while last night tweaking stuff until I had little circle imprints on my thumbs from the sticks.I even brought my transmitter to work with me today so I can use the sim at lunch

Here's to good flying this weekend!

Tam
Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The weather was real nice. No crashes either. I didn't do much flying though. I just tested out the 550 to make sure everything was good. With everyone else flying around me and the space available for each person to fly (it was pretty tight) I decided to just watch everyone else. It was a fun time though.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been raining all weekend here so the only stick time will be on the sim. I finally got the model on the sim to finally feel close to flying the real thing so I have been using the sim a lot more than in the past. The sim forum on here is great. I know I can always count on finding the info I need on Helifreeak, everyone seems so helpful.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Tam
Old 11-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

It took awhile to get everything working well again as I had a tracking issue and now the weather isn't great. Either too windy or too cool. I did fly one battery outside and my fingers got so cold I didn't think they would move. I did fly inside on Friday and I have been on the sim. I did buy a metal head from CNC Heli for the Mini Titan but decided to keep flying the plastic for now as it is tracking great. One thing I did when I rebuilt the head was to put the thrust washers and bearings back in the original order but added one of the thin shim washers next to each damper. I still don't have the shakes on spool up or down but it is reacting quicker. I think I will leave it like that for now.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Lynne

Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies!
Since I won't be flying outside in this weather I'll probably be on the computer looking for good deals.
Lynne

Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Happy Thanksgiving and let me know if you find anything good online!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, I haven't been able to fly for three weeks now. The only good thing is that I have been using the sim. I am going to fly on Saturday and can't wait. How has everyone been doing?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew 10 packs today! It was an awesome day! am definitely feeling more comfortable and the sim seems to have helped with tha. Itstarted out really chilly outside and it was just me and another guy flying. After about an hour or so three other guys showed up to fly and then the sun came out. Great day!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

You flew 10 packs and I shoveled about 3 inches of snow! This is when I will be envious of those who are in warmer climates. I'm really glad all of your sim work is paying off. I find it works for me also.
I did get some flying in this week. Flew in the church gym on Monday and at our local indoor soccer field on Friday. The Friday flying is getting more crowded now with the weather changing. One guy let me fly his large foamy jet too. Pretty easy after heli's. We're seeing more interest from the plane guys in heli's. We just had 2 guys in our club move up from co-ax ones to mSR's and one of them is even talking what 450 size CP to buy. Could be they see me fly and don't want to be outdone??

Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL, you are probably right, no guy wants to be out done by a chick. Their egos are so sesitive! I flew 10 packs today and can't wait to put in some more time on the sim this week. There were a lot less people out there this weekend so I was able to fly whenever I wanted. now I'm thinking about what I "need" for Christmas!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't get to fly this weekend, stayed downtown and went to our company Christmas party instead. I did get in some sim time, though. It got crazy hot here on Sunday, 80+ degrees! We sure have had weird weather this year.

Anyone get any flying in?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in