Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #61 (permalink)

well just the massive size of the blades as me saying holy bunny rabbits. the motor in my 600 makes my 450 look like a baby. lol. so is the 780 gyro a decent gyro? would you use the 701 over that one?
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #62 (permalink)

Default my 450

well my brother flew my 450 and set it up plus minus 11 and it was nuts. Basically he could not get the motor to bug at all. it is set up for 3400 rpm head speed with a 11 tooth pinion gov mode. he told me when he flew this his buddy at the field clocked it at about 75 mph which i think is pretty fast. But i am excited to get my 600 built, it is so bigger
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regarding gyros I have the 401 on my Mt and Raptor so I'm not much help with the other gyros, sorry.
Are you able to fly the 450 set up like that? If you are learning, have your brother tone that head speed down a lot. That is way too crazy for a beginner, if that is what you are. I'm only running around 2400 on the MT for now while working on all orientations with a little forward flight. Even as I become more proficient I don't plan on running over 3000 rpm.

Lynbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #64 (permalink)

well so far i can do full figure 8s, i can do all orientations for hovering and fwd flight. I can do front flips, back flips, barrel rolls, and tic tocs. other then that I suck really bad. I have the 401 and it holds just fine on my blade 400 also. When he comes back into town he will work on my 450. i am great mechancially on these, but I am horrible at the software radio stuff. (pitch curves, throttle, programming. hence the reason i have not changed the way it flies. how long have you been flying?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started about a year ago with the mSR and the MT in April. I wish I would have started this hobby when I was younger. I find I am comfortable doing things inverted, flips, rolls, etc on the Sim but chicken out in real life. I am finding that the older I get the more fear gets in the way. Also, I have not been flying in many open areas until the end of last summer. I think I would have progressed faster if I had done that. I was in a lot of confined areas where I didn't want to let it get away from me. Once it warms up here I am hoping to progress faster.
When did you start flying for real, not sim time? It sounds like you are doing great!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #66 (permalink)

I have only been flying for real for about 6 months total time now. Maybe 2 months total time on the sim. (I do not even have one, I just use my brothers when I go over there) or if I have crashed and need to find parts, order etc. I live next door to a park which is great so I have tons, and tons of open space. I am only 19 and I doing stuff in real life still freaks me out. However I noticed swinging that 600 is much more intimidating then my 450. But I have found the more expensive it costs to fix the more I stress. Now my blade 400 (which is cheap to fix) I have soooooooooo much fun with that thing. I do all sorts of neat stuff with it. But also, if I do crash well darn it, but it is only 50 dollars to fix also. It sounds like your doing good also, (thanks by the way). I am good for a beginner but I am no where near as good as 95% of the people that fly next to me. Most of them can trim grass with their helis. Even if I could do that, I still wouldnt.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah,

That is great that you are doing so much flying. I have been trying to get in a lot of flying time and sim time, but sometimes it is hard being older with a family, work, etc. I know how Lyn feels. I am always scared to try new stuff because I don't want to crash. I am sure I could be a lot further along if I had more guts, but I'm okay with where I'm at. I am still getting side in down in both directions, just about have it. I can't wait to start flying inverted, but I also want to make sure I have all my orientations down so that in the end I am a better flyer.

I flew my 4g6s out at the desert this past weekend. I could not believe how stable that little guy is! This was the first time I flew it outside and it was awesome. It really is very stable as a little bird.

Hope youare all having fun out there! I plan on flying this weekend out at the regular spot.

Tam
Tam_T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HI Tam-T

I have just started coming to this web site. I am planning on buying a Trex 600 in may or so. I am brand new to helicopters but I do have a small electric one that I purchased at Radio Shack before Christmas.
about 2 weeks ago I bought a "real flight" system. Like you I am trying to hover, which I am finding very hard. How long as it taken you to hover.
Paul
stainless2007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

It didn't take too long to get tail in hovering down, but the sim helped a lot to get me more comfortable. Now that I am getting my side orientations down, I have noticed that I have bailed myself out of a few situations where I thought I was going to crash (thanks to the sim). My thumbs actually just took over from the muscle memory on the sim. I guess it was a couple of months for me to just feel real comfortable with tail in. Then I started moving the heli. I would start out with it in front of me for about 10 seconds, move it to the left and hover for 10 seconds, move it back to center and hover for 10 seconds, then move it to the right and hover for 10 seconds. I would just keep doing that until I found it pretty easy. Now I am working at getting my side orientations down and moving the heli in that orientation in the same manner (hovering it nose left/right in the 3 different spots. It all just depends on how easy it comes to you, stick time, and definitely sim time. I always try what I'm going to work on next on the sim first. It makes it much easier!

Are you thinking of getting a more advanced heli?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tam,
I agree with you on muscle memory. If I don't stop to think about it and just let my thumbs take over, I have been able to bail out of some potential bad spots. That is all from all of my sim time.
I am working on the same thing as you 90 degree side orientations. I have been seeing how long I can hold a hover like that and making sure that I do it both left and right so I don't get too comfortable on one side only.
I am glad that you are enjoying your 4g6s. I am so tempted to get one of the smaller ones like that. One guy that flies indoors with us has the Novus 125 cp and it is quite stable. The only bad thing about those is you can't use your Futaba radio.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #71 (permalink)

Default stainless2007

when i first saw my brother fly, i had behind the car, and almost under it. i just received a 600 and it is much more intimidating then my 450. the sim help me a lot, when i was able to use it. however, the best thing you can do is simply put girl gear on, have an seasoned pilot tone your helicopter down, and fly. Your going to crash, which the sooner you know that the better you will fly. The sim has helped me a lot but i do not have it every day like i would hope. I flew maybe 7 times a day or more, and i learned to hover pretty quick tail in. It was maybe 2 weeks at the most. Then I did side to side which was pretty easy. then I did nose in, which I crashed 3 times on alone. On the sim I was great at it, and in real life, it scared me. I started lame figure 8's going side to side then working the rudder and pitch accordingly. But every one is different so just be you and you will do fine. also the sim total does not teach the holy crap effect either. (fair waring). It also does not teach how the real ones fly. It is harder in real life. I wish you well. (sorry for grammar errors etc, i am too tired to edit right now.
sarah
Old 01-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Welcome Sarah! Sounds like you're getting off to a good start.

I was at the Daytona, FL funfly this past Saturday. It was pretty fun. I ended up doing more meeting and talking than I did flying, but very fun none the less. Towards the end of the day, after the Castle guys worked on my ESC some (thanks Greg and Clint) I took it up and flew a bit. Al Austria was video-ing a few of his crew and got me as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLsDGtXuBE[/ame]

It's hard to see what exactly I'm doing...I was kinda high up. Piros, flips, rolls, dives, tic-tocks...that's about it.

Today I did my first funnel in real life. Do it all the time in the sim. Going to start transferring the stuff I do in the sim over to real life. I think it's time. The past week I've been working on piro-flips, inverted tail-first hurricanes and figure 8 funnels. The figure 8 funnels are really kicking my butt though.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Courtney, that was great! You are a natural at this. Definitely out of my league. I wish I could fly half as well as you.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks! I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by some really good pilots so I do quite a bit of watching and learning.

I've started to come up with a routine that incorporates everything that I know how to do so that I can work on everything. Lots of times I'll get up there and forget what I wanted to try or work on.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, that was awesome. Too bad we couldn't see it a little closer up. Great flying. I can't wait to start stringing some stuff together. Post more videos!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #76 (permalink)

nice flying also. I flew my 600 for the first time today. I still need to work on it some. I had some minor main blade tracking issues, also I have not found the sweet spot for my gyro to lock in yet. That made it kinda hard to do things. Your lucky your have so many good pilots around you. i pretty much have to learn on my own on these issues. Does any one have experience with the 780 gyro and dx8 radio yet?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

As you can see I am not flying. In the 2nd picture the fire hydrant is under that pile. I finally found it and we dug it out. Tonight we are supposed to get 5 to 10 degrees below zero. It reminded me of 1967. I'm putting more pictures in my gallery. It took 3 hours just to clear the driveway and walks. Our street is still not really cleared. Even the highways were shut down. Last night it was a whiteout with almost 50 mph gusts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2020107.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	205759   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2020142.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	205760  

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #78 (permalink)

wow that would be sooo totally awesome. I so love snow and well good ol lame idaho never gets any, i am so sad.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Uggggg, I think it is cool as long as it stays out there! I was going to complain about the chilly winds weare having out here, but that would be lame!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Me and my fiancee have our own place now so Im using his sim now and dang I need alot of practice!!!

Good snow pics.. I still cant believe how much it snowed here in GA it still amazes me lol

Nice flying Im no way as good as you. good video and yea hard get close when your up in the air and not just playing close lol
epoweredrcgirl09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in