Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn View Post
What the hell does his opinion have to do with America? That's a false generalization and is equivalent to an assumption....and you know what assuming gets you right?

I agree with you that putting blame on the manufacturer is ridiculous.......and I'm from America

Skarn
I am a bit torn here ,I agree with you both in the fact that we don't teach commonsense in this country nor do we have many who know how to step up and take responsitblity for their actions or their plans to do anything Dangerous.And People do stupid things.I have done a few myself over my years.But you should learn from your mistakes if you don't some times it can get you in deep trouble very quickly,or worse get you killed or someone else.

But this is were I get off and feel a bit lamed by the manufacture s and the people who actualy hand you a heli.
I think in some ways you should have to go thru a pre screening or deep explanation of the dangers involved before buying a heli 450's size and larger. Either that or the manufactures need to really drive this point into peoples head with a whole separate WARNING and CAUTION Guide for New beginer's .Complete with injury stories and pictures or something very stern in a label that must be read before opening any parts in the box. Some people really need to see what they are really building .A flying Vegimatic!
Because some folks just aren't getting it.There has been serious serious injuries and even death from RC Model Helicopters .. Its like selling a shot gun to a 12 years old .
I only needed to to have one sensless stupid accident .The night I got my first heli I plugged in the battery with it in idel 1 mode .Straight up into the celling. This Model Had No Instruction manual nither did the Radios.
All I knew was I wanted a heli . The Kit was needless to say my first RC Modle of any kind and I had Zero experience.....I saw it as a toy to play in the yard with.
So Innocent accidents happen. Bottom line is if you had some WARNING and a CLEARLY Deffined Manual the say more than they do,with the warnings they give.
Its for Public safety.ANd lets face it its hard to find any one any where who manufactures anything that really cares about You MORE Than they want Your Money. But They are out there.
All I need to see are the pictures and hear the Horror stories to make me be EXTRA Cautious.If could not liev with my self if I hurt some one or destroyed some one home or car. Ect.EctEct........I have just joined the AMA and IRCHA the insurance makes me feel a bit more scure and also makes me feel like I have taken a conserted effort at being Responsible as a RC Heli Piolt...

I hope your hand heals up soon and I wish any one else with a injry quick healing and a never forgotten lesson heeded well .
Tim Smith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got this wile chaseing a tail vibration wile on the work bench.
http://www.runryder.com/rrpw.htm?d=/...s=-Welcome.txt

Sam
in Virginia
Sam In Virginia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #63 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam In Virginia View Post
Got this wile chaseing a tail vibration wile on the work bench.
http://www.runryder.com/rrpw.htm?d=/...s=-Welcome.txt

Sam
in Virginia
OUCH!
Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #64 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It looks like it says something, I just can't make it out...
tz250w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a picture of the Pope gomeze the 31st
Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
But this is were I get off and feel a bit lamed by the manufacture s and the people who actualy hand you a heli.
Well, this is where the serious flaw is.

AFAIK, nobody hands a heli to anyone. The buyer is responsible for making a conscious decision to purchase the thing,open the box, assemble it charge it up and start the motor / engine.

We all have accidents caused by our own stupidity, I have had my own share and have the scars to prove it. But, what really pisses me off is when people start pointing at the manufacturer when it is they that have taken several conscious steps to buy and use the damn thing without even bothering to consider safety implications.

I see it all the time in my line of work. Most of our customers are stupid, we are often having to advise them simply to RTFM.
archiebald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz250w View Post
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...8&d=1190132473

I was starting to get excited until I realized it was a dude's leg! :
dude

dude

super gross

btw thanks to everyone who's gotten hurt and had the balls to post their pictures and cautionary tales up on here... you really are making the hobby safer for all of us. Right now knowledge of how dangerous these things are is more important than ever as so many newbies are discovering r/c in general and helis in particular.
squeakywaffle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #68 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakywaffle View Post
dude

dude

super gross.
Yea, you're right. That was the "old TaZ" that posted that... Maybe the mods can clean up the post (chuck it)?
tz250w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

sorry archibald I am not even going to reply to your reply that was posted to my reply posted from an original reply of the replies on this thread of reply's
PLease do not reply to this reply
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebald View Post
Well, this is where the serious flaw is.

AFAIK, nobody hands a heli to anyone. The buyer is responsible for making a conscious decision to purchase the thing,open the box, assemble it charge it up and start the motor / engine.

We all have accidents caused by our own stupidity, I have had my own share and have the scars to prove it. But, what really pisses me off is when people start pointing at the manufacturer when it is they that have taken several conscious steps to buy and use the damn thing without even bothering to consider safety implications.

I see it all the time in my line of work. Most of our customers are stupid, we are often having to advise them simply to RTFM.
you know I was not going to reply to your reply But I must ..............................
So tell me Archibald why are you defending the manufacture in such a way ....
You can 't tell me for one second that putting a little black picture of a finger with a drop coming offf of it that looks like a kid drew it is RESPONSIBLE WARRNING by a manufacture ....... Bottom line end of point. The manufacutre should go to Extreme lenghts Especially with the amount of money they are raking in to PROPERLY WARN OF EXACTLY HOW SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS A FLYING LAWN MOWER IS ..................... Now do you understand me and what a valid point it is Archibald ..
It sounds to me like you are in the wrong line of work if you think your CUSTOMERS ARE STUPID but yet a good source of INCOME for your type of Bussiness.

Last edited by Tim Smith; 06-20-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry Tim, I don't agree. Responsibility for safe use of a product is clearly the buyer/user/s and the seller. Even if the manufacturer included huge warning signs in the package, the product is not unsafe sitting on the shelf. when the seller takes it down and hands it over to the customer, the seller hass a responsibility to point out relevant information on how to use the product. But when the buyer walks out the door, even the seller is no longer responsible.

I don't see why it needs to be more compicated than that...
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes at that point then I would say yes.what I am saying that they should go above and beyond the call ANd show Utra Responsible And Detailed Warnings and Examples to Really drill it in how very very dangerous they are.Because obviously some people ,Even some of us have had serious accidents and some have even died from them.But WHy did those accidents even happen in the first place.I bet you my New Nitro heli that with a grraphic discription or a serious danger warning Book all in its self seperate from the main asysmbly manual may just even cut that number of accidents in half.And that would be a good thing.
I am not excusing Stupidlty or blatent abuse of a RC model I am just saying there should better warings is all And then yes even with that there will be accidents there just something that is going to happen.
I am not going to say any thing about how stupid we all can be when not informed or educated about a certain thing no matter what it is..
Education is the only think that can change thing s from a state of ignorance
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #73 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Question for you Tim... Just how does one teach common sense?? You mentioned previously that we're not being taught common sense (paraphrasing here) and because of that, there has to be a manual or document specific to the dangers of RC helis..

What about a spoon?? Seems a fairly harmless device, but I'll be with the application of a liberal dose of stupidity, you could do some pretty good damage to yourself or someone else with it. Funny, last time I bought cutlery (Even some of the uber-sharp cooking knives I like) there wasn't a single warning label, much less a booklet or manual with it.

The manufacturers print warnings in the manuals. They can't control whether or not some impatient dolt reads, much less HEEDS the warning... The local hobby store owner isn't responsible for the safety of the guy who walks in off the street fresh from a YouTube video of Bobby Watts spanking the hell out of a helicopter and declaring "I want a radio controlled helicopter!"

The SOLE responsibility for the safe operation of ANYTHING is the operator. Lack of common sense isn't a valid excuse. Lack of education isn't' either. Education comes with study/research and those too impatient or incapable of doing either before jumping in with both feet are to blame.

We had a PRIME example of this right here on HF Just about 15 months ago when a newbie got a heli for Christmas and started posting videos of his antics. Repeated attempts by many here (including me) fell on deaf ears. Personal help from Finless did the same. Thankfully, this guy hasn't hurt anyone yet, but to place the onus on the manfacturer for an individual's lack of caution or outright stupidity is ridiculous.

That's why there are labels on toasters that tell us not to use them while bathing or the ones on hair dryers that tell us not to use them outdoors in the rain.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #74 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
Question for you Tim... Just how does one teach common sense?? You mentioned previously that we're not being taught common sense (paraphrasing here) and because of that, there has to be a manual or document specific to the dangers of RC helis..

What about a spoon?? Seems a fairly harmless device, but I'll be with the application of a liberal dose of stupidity, you could do some pretty good damage to yourself or someone else with it. Funny, last time I bought cutlery (Even some of the uber-sharp cooking knives I like) there wasn't a single warning label, much less a booklet or manual with it.

The manufacturers print warnings in the manuals. They can't control whether or not some impatient dolt reads, much less HEEDS the warning... The local hobby store owner isn't responsible for the safety of the guy who walks in off the street fresh from a YouTube video of Bobby Watts spanking the hell out of a helicopter and declaring "I want a radio controlled helicopter!"

The SOLE responsibility for the safe operation of ANYTHING is the operator. Lack of common sense isn't a valid excuse. Lack of education isn't' either. Education comes with study/research and those too impatient or incapable of doing either before jumping in with both feet are to blame.

We had a PRIME example of this right here on HF Just about 15 months ago when a newbie got a heli for Christmas and started posting videos of his antics. Repeated attempts by many here (including me) fell on deaf ears. Personal help from Finless did the same. Thankfully, this guy hasn't hurt anyone yet, but to place the onus on the manfacturer for an individual's lack of caution or outright stupidity is ridiculous.

That's why there are labels on toasters that tell us not to use them while bathing or the ones on hair dryers that tell us not to use them outdoors in the rain.
I have to agree with Skidds. The buck stops with the owner. If I hurt anyone its my fault pure and simple.

Rick
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #75 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you happen to hurt someone with your heli, you will find out pretty quick who is responsible. You'll quickly be hoping that you were following the following set of rules to assure you have coverage.
(Assuming you are lucky enough to be an AMA member)

I don't mean to be harsh but you won't find anything in here about the manufacturer but you will often see the word "I".
Rick

2008 Official
Academy of Model Aeronautics
National Model Aircraft Safety Code
Effective January 1, 2006
GENERAL
RADIO CONTROL
FREE FLIGHT
CONTROL LINE
SPECIALIZED SUPPLEMENTAL SAFETY CODES,
RADIO CONTROL COMBAT (#525)
GENERAL RADIO CONTROL RACING (#530)
GIANT SCALE RADIO CONTROL RACING (#515-A)
GAS TURBINE OPERATION (Note: Special waiver required) (#510-A)
These special codes and appropriate documents may be obtained either from the AMAWeb site or by contacting AMA Headquarters.
PARK FLYER SAFE OPERATING RECOMMENDATIONS
. A model aircraft shall be defined as a non-human-carrying device capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere. It shall not exceed limitations established in
this code and is intended to be used exclusively for recreational or competition activity.
2. The maximum takeoff weight of a model aircraft, including fuel, is 55 pounds, except for those flown under the AMA Experimental Aircraft Rules.
3. I will abide by this Safety Code and all rules established for the flying site I use. I will not willfully fly my model aircraft in a reckless and/or dangerous manner.
4. I will not fly my model aircraft in sanctioned events, air shows, or model demonstrations until it has been proven airworthy.
5. I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport
operator. I will yield the right-of-way and avoid flying in the proximity of full-scale aircraft, utilizing a spotter when appropriate.
6. I will not fly my model aircraft unless it is identified with my name and address, or AMA number, inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. This does
not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.
7. I will not operate model aircraft with metal-blade propellers or with gaseous boosts (other than air), nor will I operate model aircraft with fuels containing
tetranitromethane or hydrazine.
8. I will not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices which explode burn, or propel a projectile of any kind. Exceptions include
Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight. Rocket motors up to a G-series size may be
used, provided they remain firmly attached to the model aircraft during flight. Model rockets may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety
Code; however, they may not be launched from model aircraft. Officially designated AMAAir Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as
defined within the Air Show Advisory Committee Document.
9. I will not operate my model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or within eight (8) hours of having consumed alcohol.
10. I will not operate my model aircraft while using any drug which could adversely affect my ability to safely control my model aircraft.
11. Children under six (6) years old are only allowed on a flightline or in a flight area as a pilot or while under flight instruction.
12. When and where required by rule, helmets must be properly worn and fastened. They must be OSHA, DOT, ANSI, SNELL or NOCSAE approved or comply
with comparable standards.
2. I will have completed a successful radio equipment ground-range check before the first flight of a new or repaired model aircraft.
3. I will not fly my model aircraft in the presence of spectators until I become a proficient flier, unless I am assisted by an experienced pilot.
4. At all flying sites a line must be established, in front of which all flying takes place. Only personnel associated with flying the model aircraft are
allowed at or in front of the line. In the case of airshows demonstrations straight line must be established. An area away from the line
must be maintained for spectators. Intentional flying behind the line is prohibited.
5. I will operate my model aircraft using only radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Only individuals
properly licensed by the FCC are authorized to operate equipment on Amateur Band frequencies.
6. I will not knowingly operate my model aircraft within three (3) miles of any preexisting flying site without a frequency-management agreement. A frequencymanagement
agreement may be an allocation of frequencies for each site, a day-use agreement between sites, or testing which determines that no interference
exists. A frequency-management agreement may exist between two or more AMA chartered clubs, AMA clubs and individual AMA members, or individual AMA
members. Frequency-management agreements, including an interference test report if the agreement indicates no interference exists, will be signed by all parties
and copies provided to AMA Headquarters.
7. With the exception of events flown under official AMA rules, no powered model may be flown
outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and located at the flightline.
8. Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual.
9. Radio-controlled night flying is limited to low-performance model aircraft (less than 100 mph). The model aircraft must be equipped with a lighting system which
clearly defines the aircraft's attitude and direction at all times.
10. The operator of a radio-controlled model aircraft shall control it during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by
corrective lenses that are prescribed for the pilot. No model aircraft shall be equipped with devices which allow it to be flown to a selected location which is
beyond the visual range of the pilot.
1. I will not launch my model aircraft unless I am at least 100 feet downwind of spectators and automobile parking.
2. I will not fly my model aircraft unless the launch area is clear of all individuals except my mechanic, officials, and other fliers.
3. I will use an effective device to extinguish any fuse on the model aircraft after the fuse has completed its function.
1. I will subject my complete control system (including the safety thong where applicable) to an inspection and pull test prior to flying. The pull test will be in
accordance with the current for the applicable model aircraft category. Model aircraft not fitting a specific category shall use those pulltest
requirements as indicated for Control Line Precision Aerobatics.
2. I will ensure that my flying area is clear of all utility wires or poles and I will not fly a model aircraft closer than 50 feet to any above-ground electric utility lines.
3. I will ensure that my flying area is clear of all nonessential participants and spectators before permitting my engine to be started.
- Inspect your model before every flight to make certain it is airworthy.
- Be aware of any other radio frequency user who may present an interference problem.
- Always be courteous and respectful of other users of your selected flight area.
- Choose an area clear of obstacles and large enough to safely accommodate your flying activity.
- Make certain this area is clear of friends and spectators prior to launching your aircraft.
- Be aware of other activities in the vicinity of your flight path that could cause potential conflict.
- Carefully plan your flight path prior to launch.
- Abide by any and all established AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completly agree tooo The Buck does stop with the owner.But who educate the owners that are not educated .(A BOOK MAYBE) That is not what I was trying to imply .The thread got outta hand when archiblad could not see what I was trying to say.
IF People were Better educated about the dangers and they knew before hang then maybe thing would be a bit different for the safety record .ALl I was trying to say was there should be a better BOOK Included in the package . But all you touchy girls here gotta try to run the thread in too the ground.

Put Better books in the Box for the Newbies Then maybe they Might not have a Accident
I don;t why this is hard for every body to accept in here
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Put Better books in the Box for the Newbies Then maybe they Might not have a Accident. I don;t why this is hard for every body to accept in here

Probably for the same reason you won't accept the fact that it's NOT the manufacturers responsibility, it's the owner! Plain and simple.

But no, you claim "all you touchy girls here gotta try to run the thread in too the ground." and resort to name calling when in reality, you appear to be the only "touchy girl" since no one agrees with you.

Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #78 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I completly agree tooo The Buck does stop with the owner.But who educate the owners that are not educated .(A BOOK MAYBE) That is not what I was trying to imply .The thread got outta hand when archiblad could not see what I was trying to say.
IF People were Better educated about the dangers and they knew before hang then maybe thing would be a bit different for the safety record .ALl I was trying to say was there should be a better BOOK Included in the package . But all you touchy girls here gotta try to run the thread in too the ground.

Put Better books in the Box for the Newbies Then maybe they Might not have a Accident
I don;t why this is hard for every body to accept in here
First time I've ever been called a "touchy girl" . LOL.

I didn't intend to "to run the thread in too the ground". I just didn't want any reader to get the idea that responsibility to fly safely was not theirs and theirs alone.

I have no problem with manufacturers doing better to educate people but I don't expect it or count on it.

Rick
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I get like a Tuchy gurl too. It hard in a forum some times to stay with your original intent of words and meanings with thing.s ........I been going thru alot latley with my back and another up coming surgery so I have been a grummpy F%$3k of sorts .Sorry

But Yes again it agree with the Ultimate responsibility lyes in the hands of the user the make conscience good discisions with there heli.......
I was just wanting to see some better end user Education to help things along .........
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #80 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I guess I get like a Tuchy gurl too. It hard in a forum some times to stay with your original intent of words and meanings with thing.s ........I been going thru alot latley with my back and another up coming surgery so I have been a grummpy F%$3k of sorts .Sorry

But Yes again it agree with the Ultimate responsibility lyes in the hands of the user the make conscience good discisions with there heli.......
I was just wanting to see some better end user Education to help things along .........
Who knows, maybe one of the manufacturers wil read this and take it to heart.
Its all good. Your heart is in the right place! Good luck with your surgury!

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in