Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KOSMIK and JLog

FYI

JLog will now support the KOSMIK as the 3rd ESC besides the JIVE and Castle Creations (and the HiTec current probe).

JLog forms a "TelMe". (So I can say: It told me. )

Unfortunately there is no sufficient interface available at JLog2 if we want to be able to support all 7 "foreign" telemetry systems together with the KOSMIK, - currently Multiplex, JETIv1 and EX, HoTT, Futaba (S.BUS2), HiTec, SPEKTRUM and JR. On the other hand we (Linus and me) wouldn't like to proceed the "patchwork" á la JSend, JCC, JSPEK, - now a "JKOS" would be required.

So we deciced to quickly bring a new JLog2 before JLog3 is finished, - JLog2.5.
JLog2.5 will be pin-compatible and also functionally compatible to JLog2 but will support the KOSMIK also.JLog2.5 contains already JSend as well as JCC and JSPEK (by a bootloader modification which the last production bunch of JLog2 also contains). So JLog2.5 has more connectors to fulfill that:
- 2x 6 pins (4x JR) (JIVE connector aka K5 on JLog2, Options connector aka K4, Futaba S.BUS2 connector, COM (nor more a Molex)
- a connector for the native SPEKTRUM TM1000 X-Bus cable (available from Horizon)
- a connector for a straight-through KOSMIK sensor connection (provided by us)

JLog2.5 is recognized as a "TelMe" by the KOSMIK.
Benefits compared to TelMe:
- real RPMs, motor and rotor (setup of pole count and gear ratio)
- configurable alarms in telemetry
- the above mentioned 7 telemetry systems
JLog2.5 also does log recording - to get the real RPMs in the log and data from JLog-own sensors.

60 hours ago the investigation of KOSMIK/TelMe had started. The most time consuming thing was the recognition of a TelMe by KOSMIK. The KOSMIK automatically recognizes "intelligent" devices, currently four including TelMe. Now we have already the complete hardware design of JLog2.5.
Hope that everything can be finished within 14 days and brought into the shops (MHM and others). Well, Linus and I have a job.., so there's always a chance of a "Murphy" coming in between and influencing our timeline.
JLog2.5 will not be a product of SM Modellbau than of R²Prototyping, also manufacturing the HV²BEC, the CapBuffer, JSend (the S.BUS2 interface for JLog2), JCC and JSPEK, and will manufacture JLog3 then.

Tom
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very cool Tom,
Will keep an eye for it should I finally pull the trigger on that 14SG.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Everything have been tested now successfully, 7 "foreign" telemetry systems (see above) besides all other data link options, logging, alarming etc.

The hardware base was a modified JLog2.

Now my mate Linus must build a prototype of JLog2.5, I have to test-implement it (rather uncomplicated) as a proof of concept concerning the hardware, then manufacturing of the first bunch follows.

Tom
Old 05-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

very nice, keep us posted on updates, and when we can order
Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

KOSMIK: Log by KOSMIK

KOSMIK: Log by JLog (a log record every 50ms)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KOSMIK and JLog

Very nice work Tom...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fantastic!

Buy one JLog 2.5 and be done or have to deal with having more than one TelMe if you change systems.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersn View Post
very nice, keep us posted on updates, and when we can order
+1!

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement that JLog 2.5 is ready to ship!
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good work!

I'm looking for a new JLog2. But now I'll hold for the new JLog2.5. Please keep us posted.

Chen.
chenlixyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think Linus will finish the prototype later this week.
Then I have to do the job of porting the software, testing etc.
And then Linus has green light for the 1st production bunch - provided the logistical tasks were fulfilled.

Here the "official" announcement.

Tom
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reading your announcement of the JLog 2.5, it would seem that the TelMe was not very well thought out. The JLog2.5 even allows a nice upgrade path if you have a Jive and are moving to a Kosmik. That would be a feature that Kontronik should want!

Plus the JLog2.5 supports all the transmitter telemetry standards. Buying a TelMe would mean that if you were a Spektrum or Futaba user who wanted to switch over to Jeti that you would need to buy yet another TelMe.

I love my new DS-16 and am enjoying the JLog2's I'm using with my existing Jives.

Jeti is the only company that has ESC to receiver telemetry pretty well thought out and have a nice line of ESC's that talk to their receivers directly. There is no market for you there, but this may even give you another opportunity.

By many accounts the Jeti Mezon's are very good ESC's and since you already know how to talk the Jeti telemetry language to feed my Jeti recievers right now, I would assume that you could also use your JLog 2.5 as a TRANSLATOR between a Jeti Mezon ESC and a Futaba, JR, Spektrum etc.. receiver.

Just a thought.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
JLog2.5 even allows a nice upgrade path
Well.., KOSMIK telemetry has that upgrade path too, theoretically...

There is no intelligence in a TelMe, just a rather expensive chip (6 Euros). Each type of TelMe is different from another one, and I think that the current design of a TelMe is not suitable for baud rates needed with Futaba S.BUS2 and JR 1-wire.

KOSMIK's telemetry does not allow setup currently, so there're also no alarms, whereas alarms are the salt in the telemetry soup IMHO.
Okay, they could add that later, but I fear that short-term there is not enough development capacity at Kontronik. Sebastian has to fill Harald's place now, and he has much to do to understand everything in the sources from Harald. ESC firmware will have highest priority now.

Quote:
I would assume that you could also use your JLog 2.5 as a TRANSLATOR between a Jeti Mezon ESC and a Futaba, JR, Spektrum etc.. receiver.
Yep, maybe JLog3 will do that, otherwise it w'd be too hard to fill ROM and RAM.
For now JLog2.5 has temporarily priority. We already have lost some time from our initial schedule.. The PCB arrived two days later than said, then a chip came in the wrong casing. I still do not have a prototype in my hands. My 1st and most important job is to implement the software into the prototype, so it can be proofed that the hardware design is okay. Only, just I do not have more than 2..3 evenings for that because we will go for 2 weeks on vacation on Saturday. So I have to take everything with me and hope that Madam will be merciful.

(Um, potential housebreakers: The house will not be empty, and you can probably imagine that I'm pretty resourceful regarding defense.)

P.S. Just heard that the BT device (for setup purposes, initially for the KOSMIK itself only, not for telemetry/alarms; on top kinda short-range telemetry) already works in the development. Well, I said K for the umpteenth time that I consider uncoordinated transmitting in the 2G4 band as risky..

Last edited by dl7uae; 06-18-2013 at 05:44 PM..
dl7uae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
P.S. Just heard that the BT device (for setup purposes, initially for the KOSMIK itself only, not for telemetry/alarms; on top kinda short-range telemetry) already works in the development. Well, I said K for the umpteenth time that I consider uncoordinated transmitting in the 2G4 band as risky..
That just kills me. The Kosmik has a USB port and no PC software to configure it with! So they need BT in order to allow it to be configured. I really don't understand this kind of logic unless they just want to print money by forcing people to buy a bunch of peripherals they shouldn't need.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The Kosmik has a USB port and no PC software to configure it with!
Well.., this is a STM32, and that MCU has natively an USB port as all modern microcontrollers have. Harald just thought: OK, the port is there, currently no plan for its use, but let's make it accessible, for what means ever..

ProgCard --> ProgDisk, a STM Primer, later on built by K itself. The ROM of the MCU in the Disk is almost full. It eats much ROM and RAM to add menu items because everything must be done barefoot. Quite another thing, much simpler, to do it on base of the OS libraries of a smartphone, more memory anyway. - Well, as said already, I don't think that a smartphone is the right way in the model scene.

So now a BT setup device, client is a smartphone, iOS or Android, no Windows for now.

And there is the unusued USB port..

And some other multi-purpose ports..

They need to make a decision.. about an unified device.., needs a strategy.. IMHO..
Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the absolute best solution is Jeti´s box emulator in their radios. I program the Mezon through the radio's telemetry, absolutely fabulous. I tested 3 timings and 3 Gov setting in one flight, just 3 landings, 10s setup change, take off again. I finished that flight absolutely fascinated with the speed and ease of setup. No additional hardware, just your radio and your heli. Doesn't get any better than that.

OK, K doesn't have radios and must think of something useful for everyone but I agree it has opened all options and decided on only one for the moment (ProgDisk), maybe two with the BT option (not mainstream and an expensive solution), and those are the two more complicated ones. Next would be USB/PC and we'll never see any interface for doing it from a radio, too many development paths.

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well... that interactive is nice of course. You have it with JETI (v1), you have it with HoTT, - much better btw because the SmartBox is 8x21 characters, whereas a JETIbox is only 2x16.

I also had that for setup of JLog. Only, the problem is that such menus eat much RAM in the processor.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Hi Tom,

Hope you have a good vacation. I usually end up not being able to chill that long. Always good to bring different work along. Really looking forward to your 2.5 version. Love the upgrade path option. I have a helijive now and looking to get a Kosmik. It's less about h/w reuse and more about s/w! Ie familiarity and configuration reuse. I hope you can get the telemetry lined up so that everything shows up under the right labels and units for the T14SGH.

Cheers.
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

So as a telemetry noob I have some very basic questions...

If I was to upgrade my 8FG to a 14SG and use the JLog 2.5 with my Kosmik what will be possible for monitoring Ah Used? Will the 14SG support multiple alarms similar to the Jeti (say 50%, 30%, 20% used). Also what kind of physical "boxes" on my model will I need to accomplish this? Will it just be the JLog plugged into the Kosmik and a telemetry RX? Or is there another link in the chain that's needed?

THANKS!!!!

mCP X bl...Nano QX...Futaba 8FG
NickBee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
will be possible for monitoring Ah Used?
Yep.

Quote:
Will the 14SG support multiple alarms similar to the Jeti (say 50%, 30%, 20% used).
For mAh? No, just one alarm threshold. - Well, there're some JLog firmwares with "prewarn" functionality, but not in all firmwares. I think that multiple mAh alarm threshold are kinda "jewelry on nightgown".

Quote:
Also what kind of physical "boxes" on my model will I need to accomplish this? Will it just be the JLog plugged into the Kosmik and a telemetry RX? Or is there another link in the chain that's needed?
With JLog2.5? Just Jlog and that's it.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tom!

I think your reply means upgrading to a 14SG is in my future! Do we have an ETA for JLog 2.5 yet?

Thanks for everything!

mCP X bl...Nano QX...Futaba 8FG
NickBee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in