Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Slow down my mCP X

I'm a very new collective pitch flyer and have very little room to practice. Is there anyway to slow this thing down and make it a little more easy to handle for a newbie? I have a dx6i transmitter.

Thank you!
Jonsgoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgoat View Post
I'm a very new collective pitch flyer and have very little room to practice. Is there anyway to slow this thing down and make it a little more easy to handle for a newbie? I have a dx6i transmitter.

Thank you!
Check out the DX6i manual a bit. Read up on "Dual Rates" and "Expo". You'll have it tamed down in no time.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you look around this forum you can find a bunch of different ways to tame down the mcpx. Basically just lower the travel adjustments and pitch/throttle curves.

My biggest piece of advice is to take it outside and use the standard settings. You can try to tame it down all you want but if you are trying to fly inside in a 10x10 box with obstacles all over the place you are going to be smashing into things mighty quick.

I don't think the mcpx is an indoor flyer for beginners, like myself!
aloys24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Indoor Flight

I have seen experts do amazing things with the MCP X indoors, but as a relative beginner myself I have been leaps and bounds happier flying outside. The MCP X can handle some light winds so just go and get outside.
ltburch2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Im just trying to master a hover in my living room

Everything I've read or watched tells me to master the hover first. Am I wrong to think I can do ths in my living room?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgoat View Post
Everything I've read or watched tells me to master the hover first. Am I wrong to think I can do ths in my living room?
It's doable, but the mcpx can get out of control EXTREMELY fast.. I would recommend hovering it over some grass. That way if something goes wrong, you can just put on throttle hold and pick it back up.. Inside your house you may lose control and fly it into something expensive..

AR90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Living room the first few times is too hard if you never have flown before. Everytime it got up a foot I bailed mostly bc I had no idea what to expect. I took it outside and after 1 battery you get a good idea of how its going to fly. Now I have no issues playing with it inside even next to the new led tv.
It is a lot easier to take off in IU mode and then just pop it straight up and then back it down to practice hovering at 4 ft or so. To me stunt mode is more stable as your blade speed stays the same. If you try and take off slowly it will be all over the place. I also take it OFF of IU mode ( stunt mode) when landing. For me its easier. Try differnt ways and see what works best for you.
pwgsx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a sim and turn the speed to 50% and get really comfortable. If you want, increase the speed to about 120% and develop some lightening reflexes
harda toenail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Outside seems like the trick!

I tried it outside and yea, theres a lot more room for mess ups! I tried my msr x outside and thought it was going to the moon. Collective pich makes a huge difference. Thank you all for your help!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello

Do a 0 pitch setup on your helicopter 1st.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9UgHfg_NM[/ame]

I have spent many hours tinkering with my MCPX so it flies nice in the house.*
These settings make my MCPX feel much like an MSR without the fly bar. The helicopter will react crisply to input but not over react. And it will not feel mushy at all. If you want a little more bite try 40% aileron and elevator in Travel adjust menu and leave the DR/expo alone. Note flat pitch curve so 0 Negative pitch.*

These settings work great in normal mode. And if you want to try IU they are ok as well.*
The helicopter has a little more attitude at 100% power.
See travel adjust. It's the same on all. + and - make sure you catch what is going on!
RE/Travel adjust menu. When you adjust you travel adjust you will see an arrow on the screen.
Hold aileron hard over right and set it 35 then aileron hard over left and set it 35. Same elevator up and down. Just make sure you set the drive the same both sides!

DR and Expo
All switches on 0 position

Aile 100% expo 0
Elev 100% expo 0
Rudd 100% expo 0

Travel ADJ

Throttle 100%
Aileron 35
Elevator 35
Rudder 125%
Gyro 100%
Pitch 75%

Throttle Curve
L
0, 40,60 80 100

Pitch Curve
L

Swash type 1 servo 90

Timer I set mine at 3.30 and it works ok.

The helicopter will react crisply to input but not over react.

MCPX AS A CP TRAINER

Coming from any coaxial or fixed pitch helicopter like MSR or 120SR you will need to understand the difference in the way MCPX will fly.

If it is your intent to use MCPX as a CP Trainer the first thing you will need is a DX6i or equivalent TX so you can calm the helicopter down sufficiently. MCPX is a super high performance 3D helicopter and it behaves like one!

MCPX is also a Fly bar less helicopter and will not correct itself. Not ever!
The helicopter will hold what ever attitude you input on your radio.

If you input just a little forward then let the stick centre the helicopter will fly forward until it runs into something or you tilt it back a bit to stop it's forward flight then level it out in hover. The aileron and elevator respond the same, you need to be aware of this. You must counteract every command and be very precise in order to hover MCPX or it will just slide all over the place on you.

Take off
When taking MCPX off. The helicopter needs to be flown off the ground. As you increase power you will be able to see the helicopters attitude changing. If it wants to lean, very gently correct it's attitude with aileron or elevator input as needed to make the helicopter straight up and down before adding take off power.

It is paramount that you have control the tail of the helicopter before lifting the helicopter off the ground. When you lift the helicopter. If it has the slightest lean in any direction, that is the direction the helicopter is going to go. There is no fly bar to help stabilize this helicopter in hover! If the helicopter goes anywhere but straight up 6 inches. Immediately power down and start again!

Do this again and again until you get the feel for it and your helicopter climbs straight up.
About 6 inches off the floor. Power down and do it again and again until it feels natural.

It is up to the person piloting the helicopter to correct it's attitude and it's drift. ALWAYS!!!!!

The reduced input settings for DX6i radio will tame MCPX to a point it will hover for even the newest pilots but I highly suggest you get a little simulator time so you have some idea what to expect. Even an hour playing with the a simulator at your local hobby shop will help you in a rely big way.

HOVERING MCPX
Once off the ground stable at 6inches, add a little more power and climb the helicopter 3' off the floor, Directly in front of you. Keep that tail pointed at you all the times. If you feel the helicopter is getting away from you at any time. Chop the power land and start again.

MCPX responds quickly to aileron and elevator input and accelerates very quickly so don't let it get away on you. Dropping it from 3' onto carpet will not hurt the helicopter, running into something hard at high speed will.

Don't worry your helicopter is pretty tough and will take quite a bit of punishment but make every effort not to run into things with the power on. Either chop the throttle or hit the throttle hold switch and shut down the motor before the helicopter hits the ground or anything else.

At this point your sole objective is. Gently lift your helicopter off the floor, climb 3 feet in the air and keep the helicopter somewhat stable tail in. That's all

No more than 3' off the ground, 10 or 15 seconds then land the helicopter and breath again.
Do this 20 or 30 100 times what ever it takes to get comfortable with the helicopter.

When you are comfortable climb to 6 feet, hover a few seconds, decrease power and land.

When you can do this without the helicopter getting away on you, slowly move the helicopter forward a few feet and stop it. Hover then back it up and hover again. Reduce power and land.

Take off Climb to 6 feet hover then move left a few feet slowly stop it and hover.
Move the helicopter back to the right and hover in front of you. Now move it right a few feet and hover. Always tail in. Bring it back in front of you hover power down and land softly.

Once you are comfortable moving the helicopter around a bit. Take off and assume hover.
Now rotate the helicopter from a nose position of 12 o'clock to one o'clock and hold the hover a few seconds then back to 12 o'clock. Then turn the nose left to 11 o'clock position and hold the hover a few seconds. Back to 12 o'clock and move ahead 10 feet hover and back hover.

The most important part of this exercise is your patients and your willingness to practice takeoffs landings and hovering night after night until you can fly the helicopter without thinking about it.

No matter what you do, you will start out every flight taking off, hovering and you will end your flight hovering and landing. You may as well resign yourself to learning how to take off hover and land and do them very well.

After a few weeks practice you will be able to take the helicopter off hover when ever you want. Fly it forward backward even hover with the nose at 9,10,11, 12 1,2 ,3 o'clock.

Best of luck.

Remember when you begin turns.
MCPX drops its nose when you bank it and speeds up very quickly. Do not let the nose of the helicopter drop or it will go screaming off out of control. keep a short leash on it or it will be away on you.

Hope this helps you.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also if you dip the tail in reverse it will scoot away just as quickly. I can't even fly it in the house with standard settings so I keep it outside. I'm just now getting comfortable running it in IU and doing some simple flips and rolls. Seem like everytime it's calm and I go out and start flying the wind mysteriously picks up.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9UgHfg_NM

These settings make my MCPX feel much like an MSR without the fly bar. The helicopter will react crisply to input but not over react. And it will not feel mushy at all. If you want a little more bite try 40% aileron and elevator in Travel adjust menu and leave the DR/expo alone. Note flat pitch curve so 0 Negative pitch.*

These settings work great in normal mode. And if you want to try IU they are ok as well.*
See travel adjust. It's the same on all. + and - make sure you catch what is going on!
RE/Travel adjust menu. When you adjust you travel adjust you will see an arrow on the screen.
Hold aileron hard over right and set it 35 then aileron hard over left and set it 35. Same elevator up and down. Just make sure you set the drive the same both sides!

DR and Expo

Aile 100% expo 0
Elev 100% expo 0
Rudd 100% expo 0

Travel ADJ

Throttle 100%
Aileron 35
Elevator 35
Rudder 125%
Gyro 100%
Pitch 75%

Throttle Curve
L
0, 40,60 80 100

Pitch Curve
L

Swash type 1 servo 90

MCPX AS A CP TRAINER

Coming from any coaxial or fixed pitch helicopter like MSR or 120SR you will need to understand the difference in the way MCPX will fly.

If it is your intent to use MCPX as a CP Trainer the first thing you will need is a DX6i or equivalent TX so you can calm the helicopter down sufficiently. MCPX is a super high performance 3D helicopter and it behaves like one!

MCPX is also a Fly bar less helicopter and will not correct itself. Not ever!
The helicopter will hold what ever attitude you input on your radio.

If you input just a little forward then let the stick centre the helicopter will fly forward until it runs into something or you tilt it back a bit to stop it's forward flight then level it out in hover. The aileron and elevator respond the same, you need to be aware of this. You must counteract every command and be very precise in order to hover MCPX or it will just slide all over the place on you.

Take off
When taking MCPX off. The helicopter needs to be flown off the ground. As you increase power you will be able to see the helicopters attitude changing. If it wants to lean, very gently correct it's attitude with aileron or elevator input as needed to make the helicopter straight up and down before adding take off power.

It is paramount that you have control the tail of the helicopter before lifting the helicopter off the ground. When you lift the helicopter. If it has the slightest lean in any direction, that is the direction the helicopter is going to go. There is no fly bar to help stabilize this helicopter in hover! If the helicopter goes anywhere but straight up 6 inches. Immediately power down and start again!

Do this again and again until you get the feel for it and your helicopter climbs straight up.
About 6 inches off the floor. Power down and do it again and again until it feels natural.

It is up to the person piloting the helicopter to correct it's attitude and it's drift. ALWAYS!!!!!

The reduced input settings for DX6i radio will tame MCPX to a point it will hover for even the newest pilots but I highly suggest you get a little simulator time so you have some idea what to expect. Even an hour playing with the a simulator at your local hobby shop will help you in a rely big way.

HOVERING MCPX
Once off the ground stable at 6inches, add a little more power and climb the helicopter 3' off the floor, Directly in front of you. Keep that tail pointed at you all the times. If you feel the helicopter is getting away from you at any time. Chop the power land and start again.

MCPX responds quickly to aileron and elevator input and accelerates very quickly so don't let it get away on you. Dropping it from 3' onto carpet will not hurt the helicopter, running into something hard at high speed will.

Don't worry your helicopter is pretty tough and will take quite a bit of punishment but make every effort not to run into things with the power on. Either chop the throttle or hit the throttle hold switch and shut down the motor before the helicopter hits the ground or anything else.

At this point your sole objective is. Gently lift your helicopter off the floor, climb 3 feet in the air and keep the helicopter somewhat stable tail in. That's all

No more than 3' off the ground, 10 or 15 seconds then land the helicopter and breath again.
Do this 20 or 30 100 times what ever it takes to get comfortable with the helicopter.

When you are comfortable climb to 6 feet, hover a few seconds, decrease power and land.

When you can do this without the helicopter getting away on you, slowly move the helicopter forward a few feet and stop it. Hover then back it up and hover again. Reduce power and land.

Take off Climb to 6 feet hover then move left a few feet slowly stop it and hover.
Move the helicopter back to the right and hover in front of you. Now move it right a few feet and hover. Always tail in. Bring it back in front of you hover power down and land softly.

Once you are comfortable moving the helicopter around a bit. Take off and assume hover.
Now rotate the helicopter from a nose position of 12 o'clock to one o'clock and hold the hover a few seconds then back to 12 o'clock. Then turn the nose left to 11 o'clock position and hold the hover a few seconds. Back to 12 o'clock and move ahead 10 feet hover and back hover.

The most important part of this exercise is your patients and your willingness to practice takeoffs landings and hovering night after night until you can fly the helicopter without thinking about it.

No matter what you do, you will start out every flight taking off, hovering and you will end your flight hovering and landing. You may as well resign yourself to learning how to take off hover and land and do them very well.

After a few weeks practice you will be able to take the helicopter off hover when ever you want. Fly it forward backward even hover with the nose at 9,10,11, 12 1,2 ,3 o'clock.

Best of luck.

Remember when you begin turns.
MCPX drops its nose when you bank it and speeds up very quickly. Do not let the nose of the helicopter drop or it will go screaming off out of control. keep a short leash on it or it will be away on you.

Hope this helps you.

so once you start to bank, i should push down on the elevator so the nose doesnt go straight down?
Derfman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They are all right on what they said this little guy is a beast. Don't let this thing fool you it flys like the big guys. Take it slow with this guy and master hovering first it does don't take much stick on this little guy but you will get it down. Over correcting is the big thing when you go to one side our it gets out of control just try to correct it with less stick. Remember your not flying a coax or fixed pitch this bird is built to flip and roll. You will get it just keep flying and you will get the feel of it.
Gogupgo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello again

RE MCPX drops it's nose when banking.

When starting to learn bank turns with MCPX. Take care to hold the nose on the horizon so the helicopter does not accelorate uncontrolably. A little up elivator will slow the helicopter and stop it from running away on you. And it will make beautiful turns.

Actualy MCPX turns just like any other helicopter. It just takes a while to get the feel for it.
If you bank it and don't push the tail around and hold the nose it just slides sideways.

If you bank it, push the tail around and dont hold the elivator it speeds up very quickly
and you will loose control very quickly.

Bank lots of rudder and a little up elivater to bring the nose around and slow the helicopter.

Hope this is more clear. You will see what I mean when you try a turn.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will move very quickly in any direction if you aren't careful. Just ask my shrubs and the tree.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Awesome write-up!
robinasu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it possible to have an indoor and outdoor setting on my dx7 via the tx switches or would I have to do it by setting up as 2 different helis and rebind to whichever one I want to use.
I like the docile settings above for indoors but quite like the settings in the manual for outside.
animal47 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6-L7xndFC8

my blade mcpx in action inverted with v2 tail
gregder12341 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Originally Posted by Imzzaudae
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9UgHfg_NM[/ame]

DR and Expo

Aile 100% expo 0
Elev 100% expo 0
Rudd 100% expo 0

Travel ADJ

Throttle 100%
Aileron 35
Elevator 35
Rudder 125%
Gyro 100%
Pitch 75%

Throttle Curve
L
0, 40,60 80 100

Pitch Curve
L

Swash type 1 servo 90

Ron, I thanked you on the other thread you posted these settings, but wanted to thak you again and encourage all of us newbies to try these settings for indoor flight of the mcpx. Very enjoyable settings!

mQX, 120sr, msrx, mcpx, mcpxV2, BL, Nano,
SR, 130X, 300X, 450X, Phoenix Sim, DX7s, DX8. OMP1
TKhelipops is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Indoor / Outdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal47 View Post
Is it possible to have an indoor and outdoor setting on my dx7 via the tx switches or would I have to do it by setting up as 2 different helis and rebind to whichever one I want to use.
I like the docile settings above for indoors but quite like the settings in the manual for outside.
Yes, you could set indoor on "0" and outdoor on "1" on the D/R Expo settings. I did that for a while when I was first learning. I also had the pitch curves similar at hover so I could take off in 0 and switch to 1 (that is, idle up).

Correction, you could do that if you adjusted the control sensitivity in the D/R settings instead of the travel adjust. So, for example, you could use D/R setting "0" at, for example, 35 for both aileron and elevator for indoor flight, and use D/R setting "1" at, again for example, 80 for both aileron and elevator for outside. Essentially, you would have 35% of maximum control deflection indoors, and 80% outdoors. You can just play with the settings and adjust them up or down to suit your experience / preference.

Last edited by CalRotor; 03-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Added correction
CalRotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control, dx6i, mcp x, newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in