Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the input. Were you using the metal case servos in those crashes? I, too, am a good crasher...been known to break unbreakable parts. I just much prefer mounting servos to carbon plate rather than a crash load bearing part.

It may seem weird, but I can see buying an entire new kit after a bad crash but if I have to replace 2 expensive servos, I would be very irate. I have yet to hear of anyone bending the case of the DS95s but the thought is always there. Replacing gears is no big deal...replacing the servo would suck.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

My servos in my 450pro have always been the stock plastic case servos. I've been through A LOT of gears.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Furex,

I think that's an issue they will address.

ScotY,

I've got a 450 that has seen horrendous crashes. Inverted, full power, full positive type crashes. Enough to drive the main shaft through the lower Jesus bolt and never has the case of a single servo been damaged. I'm not a great pilot, but I am a prolific crasher. I think my 450pro has but 2 original parts on it-- the frame floor and a frame half.

When they can, I'm certain the team pilots will speak to this. Anything I post is nothing but speculative. It was very cool see and touch the model up close!

Scott
Ditto... MSH Protos has a servo mount that is like what is seen in those photos among other brands that I can't think of off the top of my head. While it 'can' break plastic servo cases, I have never heard of a bent servo case on a metal servo.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think if you can break plastic cases, it's entirely possible you can bend metal. My thought was it would be nice if they could incorporate some small degree of "protection" for expensive metal cased servos. While I don't particularly care for frame mounted servos, I have never damaged one that was mounted on a side frame.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think for this prototype they abandoned the angle mounting of the servos because the CF flexed under load. Speculative, but I also believe thicker CF may have caused the arm to swash geometry to be off a bit.

I think there are tradeoffs in every design. One of them in this variant may be mounting so the extremely remote possibility of servo damage exists, I don't know. That said, I've destroyed servos in my T-Rex 500. I'm talking broken, twisted plastic, with the motor dangling, and they're frame mounted.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

with alloy bearing block , stiff CF Frame and compact design, IMHO it will be difficult to damage servo case.

I hope we could smack it soon!
furex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have wreaked havoc on my DS92s and my dS92 a+ servos and the MKS servos seem to have a built in protection of sorts. I can't put this eloquently, but on hard impact, my servos either find a new center (annoying to have to re program fbl ontroller) or the servo spline breaks. I have only damaged one servo, but that was after several wrecks and was on a 92. I have never broken any teeth, though I did manage to break two output gear shafts, as they seem designed to sheer.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Colapietro View Post
I have wreaked havoc on my DS92s and my dS92 a+ servos and the MKS servos seem to have a built in protection of sorts. I can't put this eloquently, but on hard impact, my servos either find a new center (annoying to have to re program fbl ontroller) or the servo spline breaks. I have only damaged one servo, but that was after several wrecks and was on a 92. I have never broken any teeth, though I did manage to break two output gear shafts, as they seem designed to sheer.
The same thing happen to my ds92s I crash and they found a new center, pretty cool fail safe if ask me save me some money
SMJT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Curious to understand how the servo can find a new center? Is the pot slipping?

Anyway, nice to hear the 92 and 92A+ have good crash robustness.

Cullen, are the 92A+ servos any better than the 92s? I have a set of 92s and while they are nice, there's a fair amount of slop in the gear train.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

A+= titanium Gear=> no slop and very robustness.

I used MKS 9660A+ and friend of mine used MKS 9660 . same amount of flight, same bird( protos500) , same flight level, same electronics => my MKS9660A+ are still perfect, MKS of my friend have got slop .
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
+1
Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post

Anyway, nice to hear the 92 and 92A+ have good crash robustness.

Cullen, are the 92A+ servos any better than the 92s? I have a set of 92s and while they are nice, there's a fair amount of slop in the gear train.
I do not have a mechanical answer for you, but each time this has happened, I had to pull the spline, adjust the spline for closest to 90* and reset the center.

I can't evenly compare the 92s and 92A+ as I changed FBL controllers at the same time, but the 92A+s fly much better on Bx than the 92s on 3Gx.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you say spline, you mean the servo arm?

About the slop, just want to know physically, if the 92A+ are different from the 92. My 92s have almost as much play in the gears as 5065s. The 95s I have are, essentially, free of slop.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, servo arm. 95s remain slop free due to tight allowances allowed by the metal upper case. 92A+s have a plastic upper. I can't guarantee they'll run slop free as long as the 95s, but my set has over 100 flights and no noticeable slop, at least none that has caught my attention.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by furex View Post
A+= titanium Gear=> no slop and very robustness.

I used MKS 9660A+ and friend of mine used MKS 9660 . same amount of flight, same bird( protos500) , same flight level, same electronics => my MKS9660A+ are still perfect, MKS of my friend have got slop .
I thought all the DS92/95 used the same gear set.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess only the output gears are the same...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, only output gears the same...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

any news?
fulvico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvico View Post
any news?
jaimerioco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

-2 = 0
They will definitely release updates when desirable and reliable. sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in