Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SKYES metal gear for v120d02s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYES-Walker...#ht_2983wt_932

metal gears for the v120d02s

anyone tried these?? any comments?

however the slipper clutch MOD would probably be better
manbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the slipper clutch would complement this. Might still risk main gear damage. But I think it looks promising.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbird View Post
however the slipper clutch MOD would probably be better
That's hard to say. I love the slipper clutch from Bob Lavinia, or however his name is spelled, and haven't had a single tail failure of any kind since installing it, although I had to mod it a bit to get it to fit right and not bind on the 'B' gear.

But, if people still end up messing up gears even with the slipper clutch, most likely the 'A' gear which mates to the main gear, trying a metal replacement might work.

But then again, one might just end up having to find a metal replacement for the main gear then.

The slipper clutch should stop any damaging force from getting to the rest of the heli as sort of a 'release valve' but sometimes high pressure systems have relief valves and they still blow.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered it. Let's see if it is better than the Wolfgear for the 4G6. I will let you know.

Blade MCX, FBL 4G6V-2S Xtreme, FBL 4G6V-1S
Xtreme rewind, FBL 4G6S-1S Bell 222 Darthdark, FBL V120D02S
hjns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes please let us know!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjns View Post
Just ordered it. Let's see if it is better than the Wolfgear for the 4G6. I will let you know.
Interested to hear your thoughts on this as well ... the only concern that I'd have would be the type of damage done to the main gear and / or head components in a crash.

The the Wolfgear, damaged was usually limited to the main / external tail gears - elminating the need to tear your heli apart to replace the incredibly annoying to replace front tail gear.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 120 and 120s share the same parts in the transsmision tail right????
raptorddd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

NO. They are way different.

The D02S has larger gears from front to back. Much larger. Larger everything in fact. Every piece on this bird is bigger and thicker, hence the durability claim from Walkera.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeoravitz View Post
NO. They are way different.

The D02S has larger gears from front to back. Much larger. Larger everything in fact. Every piece on this bird is bigger and thicker, hence the durability claim from Walkera.
ok thanks i toughti read from someone trying to convert his 4g6s to 12s that the only thing compatible was the tail...
raptorddd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

ha yes that was probably a thread that I responded to and saved him a ton of money based on my own mistakes.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im new here.
And i got them, setup and did like 8 flights or so. Only thing to watch is the c? Gear. It's a bit worn out because of the contact with the metal gear. Anything else you want to know? Pics or so?
Shohin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohin View Post
Im new here.
And i got them, setup and did like 8 flights or so. Only thing to watch is the c? Gear. It's a bit worn out because of the contact with the metal gear. Anything else you want to know? Pics or so?
Welcome! and thanks for your feedback and opinion! i would definitely like to see some pics if you can
Walkera WK2801-Pro, Walkera V120D02S, Walkera C05 Genius CP
seanm135 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorddd View Post
ok thanks i toughti read from someone trying to convert his 4g6s to 12s that the only thing compatible was the tail...
I think a 12S Lipo will be too heavy for the small 4G6 (a small 12S pack will be >1kg), and the headspeed at 12S (44.4V nominal) is probably a bit too high.

But you probably meant the V120D02S....

Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

anybody have any pictures and/or further flight reviews of these gears?
Walkera WK2801-Pro, Walkera V120D02S, Walkera C05 Genius CP
seanm135 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some facts...no pics......sorry i hope i canl do some the next days.
It seems that the metal a gear is really a bit slippy and grinds the main gear till there is no grip left. Im nor sure if i installed it right. But maybe i remove the metal a gear and just leave the metal b gear on...it won't replace the slipper clutch wich i also ordered. I already had to replace 2 main gears in 1 week. Nearly after every crash. Maybe i have to fix the gears with some glue so that they don't have that much movement on the main gear. Hope you get me right..im not a native speaker
Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Some facts...no pics......sorry i hope i canl do some the next days.
It seems that the metal a gear is really a bit slippy and grinds the main gear till there is no grip left. Im nor sure if i installed it right. But maybe i remove the metal a gear and just leave the metal b gear on...it won't replace the slipper clutch wich i also ordered. I already had to replace 2 main gears in 1 week. Nearly after every crash. Maybe i have to fix the gears with some glue so that they don't have that much movement on the main gear. Hope you get me right..im not a native speaker
Actually, this was also the case with the Wolfgear for hte 4G6, especially the version with 11 teeth. The main reason is that the outer diameter of the new gear is probably smaller than the original plastic gear. Check whether this is true for these new gears as well.

The solution for me was to grind away the upper part of the main gear, where it rests against the lower bearing. This way, the main gear is positioned slightly higher, and fully meshes with the metal front tail gear.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

True ...it is bigger i have to cut the main gear. If not i have to change the main gear nearly after 4 flights. Maybe i just install the slipper clutch and leave the plastic gear. I don't see a real benefit in these new gears. They are much more durable yes but they grind out allthe other gears......
Old 05-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
True ...it is bigger i have to cut the main gear. If not i have to change the main gear nearly after 4 flights. Maybe i just install the slipper clutch and leave the plastic gear. I don't see a real benefit in these new gears. They are much more durable yes but they grind out allthe other gears......
Hmm. They will only damage the other gears if there is not a good mesh. Of course, in a real heavy crash, the metal gears may also damage the plastic teeth of the other gears, but it is then also very likely that those are the least of your problems then.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

A slipper clutch is a lot less bother. Once installed, you can forget about tail gear problems without also having to worry about main gear problems as well.

Metal gears only protect against damaging themselves while using a slipper clutch removes the potential for damage itself.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-opolis View Post
A slipper clutch is a lot less bother. Once installed, you can forget about tail gear problems without also having to worry about main gear problems as well.

Metal gears only protect against damaging themselves while using a slipper clutch removes the potential for damage itself.
I don't see why this has to be a discussion about EITHER metal gears OR slipper clutch (slutch). I ran both a DIY slutch AND the Wolfgear on my 4G6, and I did not like the slutch, because at higher power (2S) and high rpm it would not be strong enough to keep the tail. Mind you, that was in the time that I ran >5k rpm.

I think that it does not hurt to make parts of the tail drive train stronger. If anything, metal has the tendency to deform less than these plastics under stress, and will therefore allow for a smoother drive train. These gears are NOT about crash protection in general. You replace some plastic with some metal, so other parts will break instead of these gears in a crash.

Actually, following this logic it means that when you have the metal gears, you should ALSO run a slutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in