Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please help: with BL/NBL parts shopping guide from hobbyking and others?

Hello, and thank you for helping:
I am slowly getting around to doing a brushless conversion(with BL tail) on my V1 for the first time and I would greatly appreciate some guidance buying my parts.

I am about to place an orde rfor some misc parts with hobbyking(batteries and backlights) and I would like to pick up some things for my future BL mod while I am at it.
I don't except to get everything from them just the things with the better price, but I don't want to buy substandard parts ether. The batteries I am ordering are already back ordered so waiting is not an issue. So for the parts that are ether better quality or better price, Please let me know which those are and where to get them.

I also need parts for my spare mCPX.v2 board I am leaving stock:
I need, brushed main-motor and tail-motors, 3 compatible servos(as good as stock or better)

As for what kind of BL mod I want to do, I want to have a set up for power efficiency and also parts for performance when I am ready for it. Oh and I want a BL tail. I am capable of soldering if that makes any difference. Any extra''s worth suggesting would be nice too, like main blades and tail rotor blades,

Please help me with my shopping list, I greatly appreciate it, and I admit I am a bit of a newbie with the parts right now, so direct links would be very helpful to me(like in the case of the needed programing parts)

Thank you very much for your time I hope I can repay the help in time. Hopefully if the shopping list is complete enough I can create a complete master shopping guide for others in the future

Edwii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey, for your v2 mcpx the main, tail and servo's, I have those laying around. You can PM me if you want them
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

And for the brushless tail, I think HK has the xp-3a, search somewhere for the hp03t and order the flashing tool (see sticky) and plantraco prop
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I can't help you out with HobbyKing stuff, but here's what I would recommend...

Since you are going to do a BL tail, you're going to need a tail esc that is flashed with BLHeli. You can either buy a tool stick and do your own flashing, or you can buy a pre-flashed esc from Dylan. He also sells pre-flashed main motor esc's, too. Keeping that in mind, let's break it down by category:

Frame:

If you're sticking with the stock frame, you'll be removing quite a bit of material from it, compromising it's integrity quite a bit. This lower frame brace will make it stronger than it was before you modified it.

Main Motor:

Prior to BLHeli, conventional wisdom was to buy a c05m to start, then replace it with a more powerful motor, work your skills through it, buy the next motor up, rinse, repeat. With the governing available in BLHeli, there's no real reason to buy motor after motor; go big right from the start, but govern it down to a level that matches your current abilities.

I don't see myself outgrowing my HP05s for a while, but if you want to go whole hog, get the HP06v2 instead.

Both of those motors are 1.5mm shafts, so get yourself a 1.5mm pinion. On that page, you'll see that 8t or 9t pinions are available. I prefer torque over head speed, so I run an 8t pinion.

Now for the main esc. If you go with the HP05s, the XP-7A works great, but if you go for the HP06v2 instead, you'll need an XP-12A.

Whichever ESC you decide on, Dylan will flash it for you. On that page, you can select how you want your esc flashed. You'll see what I mean when you visit that page.

If you decide to NOT have your esc's flashed with BLHeli, stay far, far away from the HP06v2. Even the HP05s might be too much, but it is do-able as a first BL motor (all depends on your abilities).

Tail Section:

Get an HP03t tail motor. I *highly* recommend that you get exactly this motor from exactly that link. There are two versions of the hp03t tail motor and that one is the exact one you want. Even if you buy all of your other stuff elsewhere, get this motor, from this exact link. Why you would want to get your stuff anywhere else is kind of a head-scratcher, but just in case, don't get your tail motor anywhere else.

Pair it with an XP-3A esc. Now for this esc, you MUST flash it with BLHeli to have it run your tail. Your choices are to buy a tool stick and flash it yourself, or once again use Dylan's flashing service.

So just to make sure you're clear on this... You will need to order Dylan's flashing service *twice*. The first time for the main motor esc, the second time for the xp-3a tail esc. Make sure you select the appropriate options from the flashing service page.

The Plantraco/RRC prop is the best tail rotor found to date. Get a few of them.

I'm assuming you're running a stock frame. That being the case, get a 2mm solid core CF boom.. On that page, it's the "140mm Rod" option.

You'll need a tail motor mount. You'll need to visit this page twice. The first time, order the 2mm mount, then come back and order the streamlined fin. Make sure you read that page... the fin (or plate, but you really want a fin, trust me on this) is a *necessary* part of the mount: the motor mount attaches to one side of the boom, and the fin/plate on the other, then they are screwed together to secure the assembly on the boom. A better motor mount you will not find.

That's it for the big stuff. There's a few misc things you'll need. Things like wire, etc., which are also available at Dylan's site.

You'll want to get some Hyp 550 batteries. Consider changing them to Micro Deans connectors. You'll also need to buy/make appropriate charge leads.

That's pretty much it. Honestly, I haven't found better prices on the motors, esc's, etc from any other vendor, and the stuff that Dylan makes himself isn't available anywhere else, at any price. And it is HIGH quality stuff.

Edit: Forgot to mention... if you decide to NOT go with BLHeli on your main motor esc (keeping in mind that it is REQUIRED on the tail esc), you'll need to buy a convertor (which is more expensive than just having your esc flashed). Having an esc flashed with BLHeli completely removes the requirement of having a separate brushed-to-brushless signal convertor.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I ordered from HK c05m motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10578
They have tail esc and you may try 2g tail motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9667
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7230
Pridexx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW nice response Superbee. Lots of good information there. Thanks.
crossg4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee364 View Post
Well, I can't help you out with HobbyKing stuff, but here's what I would recommend...

<Astroid Designs endorsement />
Seconded. Don't bother with HobbyKing. It'll take a month to get your parts and they don't go through the quality inspection Dylwad puts his through.

Quote:
You'll need a tail motor mount. You'll need to visit this page twice. The first time, order the 2mm mount, then come back and order the streamlined fin. Make sure you read that page... the fin (or plate, but you really want a fin, trust me on this) is a *necessary* part of the mount: the motor mount attaches to one side of the boom, and the fin/plate on the other, then they are screwed together to secure the assembly on the boom. A better motor mount you will not find.
I'd be interested to see the difference between the HP03t and the 120SR with the plate and the fin. I've got the 120SR on there now (HP03t and Co. get here today). The Plantraco prop is particularly fragile, but the fin adds a lot of weight to the tail and makes the whole setup hard to balance even with the Hyperion 550s, so I switched back to the plate. The CoG is better and weight is lower. Avoiding damage to the tail prop by hand launching. Haven't tried it with the 125mm boom, though, so that might work better with the 120SR (140mm solid core). Does the HP03t reduce the tail weight enough to make the fin balance well?

Anyway, Astroid Designs rocks. You'll have your order in 3 days instead of 3 weeks (admittedly he is out of stock right now and who knows when he's going to get more in on the HP03t, XP-7A, and XP-12A). Dylan deserves your money.
Spektrum DX7s
GeneralAntilles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Seconded. Don't bother with HobbyKing. It'll take a month to get your parts and they don't go through the quality inspection Dylwad puts his through.

I'd be interested to see the difference between the HP03t and the 120SR with the plate and the fin. I've got the 120SR on there now (HP03t and Co. get here today). The Plantraco prop is particularly fragile, but the fin adds a lot of weight to the tail and makes the whole setup hard to balance even with the Hyperion 550s, so I switched back to the plate. The CoG is better and weight is lower. Avoiding damage to the tail prop by hand launching. Haven't tried it with the 125mm boom, though, so that might work better with the 120SR (140mm solid core). Does the HP03t reduce the tail weight enough to make the fin balance well?

Anyway, Astroid Designs rocks. You'll have your order in 3 days instead of 3 weeks (admittedly he is out of stock right now and who knows when he's going to get more in on the HP03t, XP-7A, and XP-12A). Dylan deserves your money.
Yes. In fact, the hp03t motor is so light, that when both tail and main esc's are mounted to the 3-1 board, I'm having to put the 550 farther back in the mount to keep it from being very nose heavy.

Stand by for a pic of the two tail mounts...

I don't have a scale, so I can't give you exact numbers, but the weight of the two is different enough that holding them in your hands, you'll think "wow, that's a lot lighter".
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes. In fact, the hp03t motor is so light, that when both tail and main esc's are mounted to the 3-1 board, I'm having to put the 550 farther back in the mount to keep it from being very nose heavy.
Sweet.

Quote:
I don't have a scale, so I can't give you exact numbers, but the weight of the two is different enough that holding them in your hands, you'll think "wow, that's a lot lighter".
Yeah, just unboxed my Astroid order and assembled the tail. Light indeed.

Now, when is Dylan going to get in the XP-12As and XP-7As?
Spektrum DX7s
GeneralAntilles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sweet.

Yeah, just unboxed my Astroid order and assembled the tail. Light indeed.

They're out of stock pretty much everywhere. Wowhobbies has the "v2" xp-12a in stock, but I wouldn't pay their prices for the "5% more head speed" firmware update that would just get flashed over to BLHeli anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

within 7-10 days
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on buying from Dylan. My tail should be here next week. Just need a XP-12A when he gets them in.

I bought crap from HK in the past and it was just that, crap.
Crashtown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Main Motor:

Prior to BLHeli, conventional wisdom was to buy a c05m to start, then replace it with a more powerful motor, work your skills through it, buy the next motor up, rinse, repeat. With the governing available in BLHeli, there's no real reason to buy motor after motor; go big right from the start, but govern it down to a level that matches your current abilities.

I don't see myself outgrowing my HP05s for a while, but if you want to go whole hog, get the HP06v2 instead.
Can I really put the hpo6v2 from the start and still get the same (or close to) power efficiency that i would with the c05m just by flashing the esc with power efficient settings?

Edwii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you guys think of this 3A ESC? Think it's flashable with BLheli firmware? http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3a-esc-b...a9fnhv5qshs8n5
Old 03-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post
Can I really put the hpo6v2 from the start and still get the same (or close to) power efficiency that i would with the c05m just by flashing the esc with power efficient settings?
Yes, and it is nothing less than FREAKING AWESOME!

Ahem...

Outside, I love to cut the HP05s loose. It's a ton of fun, and never fails to leave my hands shaking. I still think the HP06v2/TA915 guys are completely mental (in a good way).

When I'm in the mood to just putter around the house, I govern the head speed down to 60% (or even less), and it flies just like a stock mcpx, but with far, far, FAR less bogging.

With BLHeli, you can take a raging lion and turn it in to a house cat.

I was going to get a c05m for my boy's setup, but now I think I'll just put my hp05s in his machine with a BLHeli flashed xp7a and let him grow in to it, then I'll put an HP06v2 in mine.

There's honestly no more need *at all* to buy motor after motor with BLHeli. Buy the biggest, baddest motor you feel you'll ever need, and tame it down as needed.

Edit: Whoops, totally didn't answer the power efficiency thing.... I have my timer set for six minutes, and I never approach LVC no matter how low (or high, for that matter) I run the head speed at. This is with the HP05s. I really don't know how the big motors do with flight times when governed that low.

For those of us that haven't progressed into stick banging 3d, the hp05s is a great choice for head room to grow in to, while still having nice long flight times at full speed or indoor flight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in