Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Considering a 700 (not competition version)

I am fighting the urge because a LHS is shutting down and the guy has an unfinished 700 (not competition version). It would be considered a "combo" setup with all electronics (servos, fbl, motor, esc).

My question is since this is the 700 not the Competition 700 and it is several years old (gauging from component selection), what issues can I expect?

I know that I can convert to the 700 competition in steps (tail conversion, frame conversion, etc) but I don't want to get this thing, fly it, break it, and then have to float another loan with the wife

I apologize for the newbie questions as I'm not a Goblin pilot YET!
sntlewis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The original flies well imo. I upgraded mine progressively just for the looks of the taller canopy and more space for my 7s packs.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The non competition version is a great Heli. I've owned multiple originals, and 1 Comp. The biggest difference is in the head, I prefer low head speeds and that really wasn't an option with the original head. However, if you're someone who likes the higher speeds then even that isn't an issue since it flew great aside from slow speeds. The damped tail setup is quieter and apparently has less vibe issues, but I never had an issue with either.

Those are the 2 performance changes, both easy to retrofit, neither are a reliability issue or even necessary for most people to do. Non performance, the frames and canopy are taller on the comp, boom has some structural changes, something in tail case, battery tray, and canopy quick releases. All can be retrofitted, in my opinion, other than tray and canopy quick release, none are worth spending money on until you crash and have to replace it anyways.

If it's a deal, go for it. It'll be reliable and fly great as it sits. Add some SHS canopy mounts and leave it alone. When you hammer it in, start replacing parts.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the original V1 version and it was great! Only thing I would suggest is that if it's the dfc head version, you might want to purchase the hps head. Fly it first, but if you like lower headspeeds you'll wanna change out that head right away
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine is the non Comp. version also. I picked mine up used and it has some upgrades. From what I saw all of the Non Comp. parts are still in stock so you should be fine until you want to upgrade. Make sure you watch the sticky vid. on the main blade clearance and watch what speed controller you put in there. I have the CC160 with the fan and I had to cut the lower part of the canopy to get enough clearance, I figure the non fan would fit without any mods.
TRex 450L 6S Spirit FBL
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

All who've replied here are correct. I have the original version and have upgraded as I saw fit. It's still not the Comp version and flies great. The real question is 'how much does he want for it and exactly what's on it'? Then the guys who know what and where the good deals are will advise.
BOB WHO? is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Electronics on the 700 as follows:

motor: Quantum 4530-500kv
esc: CC120 (maybe 160)
cyclic: Futaba BLS156HV (x3 duh)
tail: Futaba BLS251
fbl: ?? possibly skookum (I haven't seen it but it is circa of the servos, so whatever was the "high end" then

Price is $1000. He was building for himself as the LHS owner but lost interest after putting his first FBL in for a dirt nap.

The only "ding" is the canopy has cracked at the top due to flexing while putting in on/off which seems pretty normal/obvious for the design.

Feeling that I'm getting is that this is a pretty good deal, while not current/extreme 3d it would be the high end heli in my hangar.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All new stuff? Sounds like a decent deal to me. Not great, but certainly pretty good.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I love my v1 and never did anything to it other than always run my stick pack with the metal plate up (for pinion protection)... also use velcro straps on not the rubber o-rings. I run gecko tape on the tray and 2 straps.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would consider the components to be NOS (new old stock) as they have not been used (or powered up AFAIK).

The heli was never finished or flown.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a good deal, decent to good electronics used. Dun think u will spend less than 2k on the same setup.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhelipilot View Post
I had the original V1 version and it was great! Only thing I would suggest is that if it's the dfc head version, you might want to purchase the hps head. Fly it first, but if you like lower headspeeds you'll wanna change out that head right away
+1

Only last month I replaced my DFC with a HPS2 head on my V1 Goblin 700. I had zero issues with the DFC. Just thought I'd give the HPS2 a go as I really like the HPS3 head on my Urukay. Noticed that the HPS2 was clearly smoother, less robotic feeling cyclic, before I started to retune it.

The air frame is some 300 grams lighter (from memory) than the Goblin 700 Comp as well, which is desirable if you like low HS flying.

Short story is the V1 Goblin is still a great machine !
Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a fair deal... The servos are discontinued so although the cyclic servo parts are still available, replacement servos are not. I have the same cyclic servos now on a G570 now that I flew on my 700 for years, they are pretty tough. The motor and ESC are so so IMO. If you do not have problems with the electronics you will really enjoy this set-up. With one ESC or servo failure you could have 2K in this thing quickly!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB WHO? View Post
With one ESC or servo failure you could have 2K in this thing quickly!
I believe the same could be said for nearly any 700 size heli.

My non comp G700 flys as good as my comp G700, but I don't do low headspeed, or intentional autos with it.
Rotorexploder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

On paper I think I prefer my v1 frame to the comp. Shorter, sleaker canopy, vertical cog closer to the rotor, transmission robust enough without big belt losses and just enough space for my choice of electronics. Only the skids and tail on mine are comp spec. Love the DFC head.

Must say though that I have never tried the HPS head (all my helis are DFC) and never flown a comp to compare.

Best of luck if you decide to go with it
abit late is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would not compare the chances of crashing a new 700 with modern components to an older new one with an older Castle Creations ESC (possibly a model with a very bad reputation). And if one cyclic servo was damaged beyond repair, then what? You cannot get another one because they have been discontinued for years. So I suggested that with a stroke of bad luck you could have to replace an ESC and three cyclic servos. That's why I intimated if this one went down it could cost more than another new 700 that went down. Worth thinking about...

Last edited by BOB WHO?; 09-29-2015 at 06:22 AM..
Old 10-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm a Goblin Owner!

Well I did it and just in time for Halloween! I looked over the "package" again to see what was what (he didn't have everything together). So when I went through the package there was a Skookum SK720 as the controller and both DSMX (x2) and Futaba R6208SB receivers. The prices was little higher ($1200 vs $1000) than I originally anticipated. I think that the sell of the Futaba receive will offset the higher price or...

Now to finish it out. I think I will at least order the "sliding tray" from SAB or better yet the KDE machined tray. May add a few more $$$ and get the KDE setup.

Any thoughts from the collective (pun intended) wisdom?

Stan
Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations! That's a nice rig you have there. FWIW, I love the KDE system. Happy flying
Rotorexploder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have an original modded version 1 Gob 700 in my stable, and today still fly a DFC head even on one of my SHS Comp G700s as I prefer it. The only drawback of the original Gobby was really tail related. The early tail grip assembly truly sucks. Slop, and tons of it. Which is where the "Goblin howl" came from.. Vibes being amplified up the tail boom. Simply upgrade to the Comp tail or RcTek tail and problem gone. Also the KDE dual slider rocks as well as their sliding trays.

I still epoxy in my two tail shaft support bearings in all my Gob's. Use a Trex 700 shaft spacer to eliminate the collar movement on the shaft, and Gob spacers on the secondary shaft to rid it of its up down shaft movement. Also use the quick release canopy pins! They are great flying helis!

Welcome to the Skookum family! After the last software update they fly on rails, I now prefer them over the Vbar and all else I have flown, and the bail out is superb, as well as the logging features.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi luvmyhelis I would like a close up pic of your g700 tail setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in