Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "spektrumize?"

Is it any easier these days? What about using the 130x main board? Is it possible?
ChrisG23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was just looking at the connectors on the walkera servo's. They look similar to the eflight ones. can someone with both heli's try to fit the walkera servo to the 130x main board please. This could be an easy swap hopefully.
ChrisG23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is not certain whether the servos will be driven correctly. Your best bet is still to get a cheap Walkera transmitter such as the small Devo 7E.

There is an Devo transmitter module from Walkera which plugs in the trainer socket of the old Walkera 2801pro. I suspect that it may be compatible with Spektrum transmitters with the right adapter but will have to wait and see.

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=MTC-01
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a firmware upgrade floating around somewhere that makes your devo compatible with spektrum and others. I'm not sure of the name, but I think it's only in the testing phase right now. Maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbailie View Post
There is a firmware upgrade floating around somewhere that makes your devo compatible with spektrum and others. I'm not sure of the name, but I think it's only in the testing phase right now. Maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The project is called Deviation TX

http://www.deviationtx.com/

Apparently, Walkera knows about it and has giving it their blessings.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very cool.

If it works reliably, this would make me consider long and hard to sell my DX8 and convert to the Devo 8S or higher. I love the configuration ... very intuitive.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm currently using my Devo 8S to fly two MCPx's, a V120D02S, and Mini CP, and a Trex 250 with an AR7200BX from Spektrum. It works great.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The project is called Deviation TX

http://www.deviationtx.com/

Apparently, Walkera knows about it and has giving it their blessings.
Is there a link to their blessings?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4g6 with spektrum dsm2

I basically did this along with 2s convert. if you are interested see my post 4G6 2 cell upgrade). Used orangeRX DSM2 compatible and all non-walkera servos/electronics. Maybe this thread would have been a better place for the post.
apr1234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjohn View Post
Is there a link to their blessings?
It was just a post by a RCG member who claimed to have been in contact with Walkera about the Deviation project. If I remember correctly, a Walkera engineer said that the Deviation firmware is good for end-uers and look forward to trying it. He also said that the Deviation hacking team is stronger than the programming team at Walkera.

So it may or may not be an official response from Walkera. I don't think they can do anything about existing transmitters. The most important questions is whether they will do anything with future transmitter releases.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It was just a post by a RCG member who claimed to have been in contact with Walkera about the Deviation project. If I remember correctly, a Walkera engineer said that the Deviation firmware is good for end-uers and look forward to trying it. He also said that the Deviation hacking team is stronger than the programming team at Walkera.

So it may or may not be an official response from Walkera. I don't think they can do anything about existing transmitters. The most important questions is whether they will do anything with future transmitter releases.
I agree with the engineer... the hacking team is doing great work. I just got a second Devo transmitter to play with the Deviation software. I might even start flying my mCPX again!

It seems like Walkera would not be able to legally sell a Spektrum-compatible transmitter. I'm just going by the fact that companies sell receivers like the "orange" ones but don't sell orange transmitters.

Whatever the case, the Deviation project getting interesting. RCers have been complaining about different proprietary radio systems for a long time.
Jazzjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I agree with the engineer... the hacking team is doing great work. I just got a second Devo transmitter to play with the Deviation software. I might even start flying my mCPX again!

It seems like Walkera would not be able to legally sell a Spektrum-compatible transmitter. I'm just going by the fact that companies sell receivers like the "orange" ones but don't sell orange transmitters.

Whatever the case, the Deviation project getting interesting. RCers have been complaining about different proprietary radio systems for a long time.
It is obvious that people are buying the Devo 8S just on the basis of the Deviation firmware alone. It now seems that the firmware is reliable and moving into the "tried and tested" phase.

The downside for Walkera is that it provides an easy opportunity to switch brands. For a start, Walkera does not make planes like HH and Nine Eagles do. Also, it is concentrating on beginners at the moment and Blade helis provide a suitable upgrade. My guess is that they won't do anything unless the adoption rate is very high.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

If hobbyking can sell the orange rx's then walkera should be able to sell dsm compatible tx's but they don't want to support it. (i wouldn't want to either). But companies know we want one good radio to fly all our models and the hackers are doing the work for them.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It is obvious that people are buying the Devo 8S just on the basis of the Deviation firmware alone. It now seems that the firmware is reliable and moving into the "tried and tested" phase.

The downside for Walkera is that it provides an easy opportunity to switch brands. For a start, Walkera does not make planes like HH and Nine Eagles do. Also, it is concentrating on beginners at the moment and Blade helis provide a suitable upgrade. My guess is that they won't do anything unless the adoption rate is very high.
I was waiting for the 9x guys to get a walkera module working. But with the new firmware i did switch brands...to walkera. They sold a v120 and an 8s they otherwise would not have sold because of the firmware.

Winter is coming and indoor flying night is going to be a lot of fun. One radio for all my macros AND i can show off the color touch screen...:cool:

Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
If hobbyking can sell the orange rx's then walkera should be able to sell dsm compatible tx's but they don't want to support it. (i wouldn't want to either). But companies know we want one good radio to fly all our models and the hackers are doing the work for them.

It doesn't make sense that no other company has tried to sell a DSM2 or DSMX transmitter to compete with Spektrum for the reason you state.
I am far from being a legal expert but it seems that only copyright or patent issues could be what stops them.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH is known to have taken action against a company that sold Spektrum compatible products. However, that company went as far as claiming that its products were original HH products.

http://www.itcblog.com/20110114/hori...and-receivers/

HobbyKing operates in a very secretive manner in Hong Kong with a number of registered companies It they were sued successfully, they would simply close the company that sells the Orange receivers and move on.

I just spoke to a vendor who has regular contact with Walkera. As far as the deviation software is concerned, Walkera knew that this was going to happen as they made a conscious decision to use an open system right from the start. They have no intention of switching to a closed system again. Furthermore, they would not mind if their Devo protocol is used in a third party transmitter in the same manner.

Last edited by zadaw; 10-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: h
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I plan on using my Devo 8S with my other helis when I install this firmware to do so. What has me wondering is how you would bind to a Spektrum rx. There is no bind button on my tx. I'm new to the Devo tx for now but loving it thus far.
nwcudaman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcudaman View Post
I plan on using my Devo 8S with my other helis when I install this firmware to do so. What has me wondering is how you would bind to a Spektrum rx. There is no bind button on my tx. I'm new to the Devo tx for now but loving it thus far.
You will have to go to the forum of the Deviation site to ask.

www.deviationtx.com

I believe you have to use transmitter stick instead of a bind button.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The deviation firmware binds by pressing an on screen button in the model config page.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using Deviation exclusively now. I fly an AR7200BX Trex 250, an mcpx, a nano cpx, a mini cp, and a v120d02s. I way way prefer the feel of the Devo 8S sticks over the DXxi transmitters. I'm glad that I can finally fly any bird I want with my Devo. I shouldn't be forced into buying a pricey TX that I don't even like, just to be able to utilize a AR7200BX, which I do like. I hope Horizon doesn't get all bent out of shape about this. I should be allowed to only like SOME of a company's products and not forced into liking all or none. Just my opinion.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in