Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Advise on beefing up my 450 sport

Hi I was wondering if anyone could guide me towards an upgrade on my trex 450 sport FBL

I had some problems while flying the other day, when the ESC suddenly shut down due to either drawing to much current from the BEC, or simply overheated.

An autorotation was suddenly needed but not rehearsed
luckily the bird survived without any damage, but the landing was far from graceful.

so I decided to maybe juice it up a bit, nothing extreeme but make it a bit more 3d friendly.

I was thinking new cyclic servos and ESC. i still want to run it on 3 cells
but a new motor is maybe also needed.

thank you for your replys.
Gnob
Gnob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im running the scorpion 2221-6 and hobbywing 50a on my 450 pro and it is a monster
Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for your time
Are you running that setup with the stock servos?
And are you running that setup on 3 cells
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think a Hobbywing 50a will fit on a 450 sport. The best fit is a CC Talon 35 or possibly the lite 50a. The newer Align motors are also great for a balance of power and efficiency and longevity.
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running on KST's and 3s.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for your answers

there is quite a pricegap between the two ESC`s I will have to make up my mind on that.

i was also looking at the servos you mentioned and they certainly look good!

thank you again for your input guys!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’m home now and can answer you a little better, I was on my phone before. I would go with either the Align DS430 servos or the KST215’s I have both and they are both good servos for a 450 sized helicopter, I have a 450 plus which is about the same as your 450 sport. You can get the DS430’s a little cheaper on Ebay and are as good, or better than the KST’s at 6V or less, greater than 6v you need to go with the KST as the Aligns are limited to 6v. The best match is the CC Talon35 it will fit under the battery tray and has a really good BEC but only does 5.5v thus a good match for the DS430’s. As I said before I have a HW 50a on my Gaui X3 and I don’t know how you would put it on a Sport, it’s just too big not that it’s not a great ESC it just simply won’t fit. The CC lite 50A is also a good ESC but it doesn’t have as good of a BEC as the Talon does but will handle a little more Amp’s from the motor. For motor the one that comes in the 450 plus is the 450MX 3400kv, this is a very good motor for power and efficiency and is rated for 4s if you want to go that route. What I have described here is what I have in my 450 plus and am very happy with the performance, endurance and flight times. I have over 500 flights on the 450MX and it is still running strong. My DS430 have maybe 350 flights on them with too many to count gear replacements from crashes before I started using breakable servo arms and they are still running strong. I would strongly recommend looking at the breakable servo arms I have spent a lot of money on servo gears before I started using the breakable arms. I have about 8 sets of KST and DS430 gear sets sitting here unused because of the breakable servo arms. Do a lot of reading and make up your own mind so you will be happy with what you go with.
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow larryu! That is a very good and informative answer thank you
I placed an order for those KST servos.
And I will try to look for an ESC with BEC that will serve the at max witout frying my gyro
Thanks alot !
Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryu View Post
I’m home now and can answer you a little better, I was on my phone before. I would go with either the Align DS430 servos or the KST215’s I have both and they are both good servos for a 450 sized helicopter, I have a 450 plus which is about the same as your 450 sport. You can get the DS430’s a little cheaper on Ebay and are as good, or better than the KST’s at 6V or less, greater than 6v you need to go with the KST as the Aligns are limited to 6v. The best match is the CC Talon35 it will fit under the battery tray and has a really good BEC but only does 5.5v thus a good match for the DS430’s. As I said before I have a HW 50a on my Gaui X3 and I don’t know how you would put it on a Sport, it’s just too big not that it’s not a great ESC it just simply won’t fit. The CC lite 50A is also a good ESC but it doesn’t have as good of a BEC as the Talon does but will handle a little more Amp’s from the motor. For motor the one that comes in the 450 plus is the 450MX 3400kv, this is a very good motor for power and efficiency and is rated for 4s if you want to go that route. What I have described here is what I have in my 450 plus and am very happy with the performance, endurance and flight times. I have over 500 flights on the 450MX and it is still running strong. My DS430 have maybe 350 flights on them with too many to count gear replacements from crashes before I started using breakable servo arms and they are still running strong. I would strongly recommend looking at the breakable servo arms I have spent a lot of money on servo gears before I started using the breakable arms. I have about 8 sets of KST and DS430 gear sets sitting here unused because of the breakable servo arms. Do a lot of reading and make up your own mind so you will be happy with what you go with.
Great info!!!
What breakable servo arms are you using? I just bought a set of the blue ones on ebay but haven't installed them yet. I just had a minor crash - I'm using KST's on the cylc and (although the gears held) broke the output shaft at its weak point.
Helique is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gnob,

I'm using the HobbyWing 50 amp ESC on my Sport V2 . I had a custom battery tray made by: www.rdlohr.com to fit the HobbyWing ESC. He has it available in is product line. It is listed under battery mounts for Trex 450 Sport V2. Check it out.

Regards, Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	586134  
DX8G2
Jason Courville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

that doesent look to shabby at all

that may serve multiple benefits on my heli,
because it seems, no matter what i do it is a little tail heavy
I will take it into concideration, im still waiting for my new servos. so I still have some time to make up my mind. thank you for your time
Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi
Here is the setup i bought.

KST 215
Align 50 A ESC
Align 3gx

After running the new setup for some time, the old setup seems like a waste of time. But was the best soloution to get me in the air
"more time to think" comes to mind.

the new setup feels extreemly crisp and responsive.
my initial tought was " I better tune this animal down"
a few more batteries..

and the mildly shocked face with a hint of fear is replaced with: from what ive been told "The Grin"

Thank you guys for your help

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150619_173343 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	591740 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150619_173313 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	591741
Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I now have a scorpion hk2221-8 and hobbywing platinum 60A on my 450 pro. Do not buy align esc's, because with my setup (hk2221-8 and bl45x) both ran extremely hot. Alternative would be a castle esc (ice?).

I run savox sh-0257mg servos and they seem to hold on fine. First time using savox, recommended by person at flight club and testing them out.

Please remind that tI just mounted this motor and esc and although the heli seems to fly fine under normal mode, I need to verify idle mode.
foekie01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

i`ve been paying close attention to heat on the ESC and it seems very cool. both in N & IU1-IU2

with that said, i probably havent stressed it much since i started using it but so far so good.
I will continue to check temperatures a while, as i get more used to the setup, the stress will be higer

i am still running the stock motor on it, maybe that is the reason it is still quite cool?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in