Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HOW CAN YOU TELL IF AN ESC IS BAD?

I have been using a common sense z35 esc on my b400 which may have sustained a minor crash or 2 a year or so ago. Everything works right but usually 1-2 times per flight the heli seems to loose most of its power for a second then will surge back. Causing a loss in altitude followed by the tail jerking due to the power surging back & making the motor quickly spool back up to the throttle position that has remained constant. IS THERE A WAY TO TELL IF AN ESC HAS SOME KIND OF GLITCH IN IT? What esc would you suggest that is under 100$
brettskywalker48 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Sounds like a combination of a half-dead lipo and a high voltage cutoff.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Sounds like a combination of a half-dead lipo and a high voltage cutoff.
Right I am strictly using new common sense or lectron pro 2200 mah 20c, with the oldest being about a month. I've been buying 1 a week from my lhs. All cells in each lipo check out ok using a cell spy, & I've taken all my old lipos out of play. The last time I tried to check/program the esc setting by using the TX, I could not get the esc to go into program mode. I thought it may be the gy48v gyro I'm running, but why would the gyro have anything to do with the sudden loss& gain of power? I may try an align esc I have, but I can't remember if it works because the cooling fins are bent obvious crash damage. I'm using 3 hs-65hbs, 1 js285mg, esky belt cp 3800kv bl motor, stock spectrum reciever, common sense z35 esc, & dynam/detrum gy48v gyro
Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned User

Sounds like a similar glitch I have with my ESC. Only on spoolup my speed controllers slow start times out and I get a rpm jump from about 45 to 70% throttle.

You could remove the main blades and spoolup on the bench, then wiggle the motor and battery wires to see if anything cuts out.

What type of flying are you doing? Any hard 3d or flying that causes your rpm to bog?
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also check the three bullet connectors on the motor. They should plug tightly into the three bullet sockets on the ESC wires. If any of the bullets can easily "spin" in the socket then it's making poor contact and needs to be replaced ASAP. Speaking from personal experience

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just sport flying now, circles, fig 8s in & out of idle up mode. Hopefully some mild 3d in the future. I ll have to check those connectors, I think I remember 1 plug going on way easier than the other 2
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it only happens after a few minutes it might be overheating. I have had that with a lower cost ESC on a B400. The power would just cut out for 1/2 of a second then spin right back up to the throttle position. It was fine for about a year before it started happening. When I swapped it out the issue went away.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it has gang tattoos and a prison record, your ESC has probably gone bad... never judge a book by it's cover maybe you need a bigger BEC?

My stock ESC with ccBEC is running fine with the same servos as you. However, I'd recommend the "Ice 50 lite" this baby is nice.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just replaced the 1 bullet connection that was fairly loose. Just waiting on the wife to get home, hopefully before sunset so I can burn through a few lipos & test it. I also just got done putting on a new belt & aluminum pulley rear tail shaft. to match the speed up gears aluminum pulley. Maybe it will help the annoying click of the speed up gear
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned User

I had that same loose bullet connector problem a while back. I ended up adding a thin layer of solder to the male bullet. After the solder it was too tight and I had to remove a bit of solder but I eventually got it right.

kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in