Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Rotor Concept HPQ1 Rx Swap

Hola!. Longtime reader, extreme poster..

I bought an
Rotor Concept HPQ1 - Wildlife (4 min 54 sec)
at the AMA show this weekend because I am looking for a platform to carry my GoPro (and it's cheap), but I really don't like the included transmitter.I have a DSM2 Rx and my trusty DX7se xmtr and would like to swap the receivers out in this Quad.

Has anyone done this? Are there any special mixing settings I need to do, or does anyone have any Tx settings to share? This is a 1st for me and I have no clue what this thing wants to fly.

Thanks
SCVJeff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set it up in acft mode. Don't know what the controller is, but make damn sure you have the correct motor orentation, and rotation direction set up, along with the correct cw & ccw props mounted on the motors.

It's pretty simple, really.

More than happy to help out with questions,,,,
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HPQ1 Setup

Tomstoy...

I just got one, too. There isn't much documentation as to what channels 1 through 4 are on the radio supplied. I set mine up with 1->thro; 2->ail; 3->ele; 4->rud but when power is applied it goes through a series of beeps, then lights up blue with a repeating series of 2 long beeps. For most ESCs this means that the throttle is not closed. What channel sequence did you set up in yours?

...mike
mike1730 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HPQ1 Pinouts

Found the channel assignments on youtube. Very helpful video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=U8lVLIErHJQ

Assignments are:
1->Aileron
2->Elevator
3->Throttle
4->Rudder

Controller comes up, beeps appropriately, and motors run exactly right.
Hope this helps others with this quad.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 01-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile What 2.4 System?

Does anybody know what system the HP Q1 comes with. I bought the rtf at the AMA convention in Ontario, but really don't like the transmitter. Seems everyone is switching theirs too, but if it's already a "spectrum" receiver, perhaps it could just be bound to a DX-8. If not I'll change out the receiver too, just lazy I guess.
Jim
DesertJim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJim View Post
Does anybody know what system the HP Q1 comes with. I bought the rtf at the AMA convention in Ontario, but really don't like the transmitter. Seems everyone is switching theirs too, but if it's already a "spectrum" receiver, perhaps it could just be bound to a DX-8. If not I'll change out the receiver too, just lazy I guess.
Jim
Try it and let us know how it goes..

Update on mine.. I'm running an AR600 full-range rx. Good thing too... The wind came up and blew it across a canyon to where I almost couldn't see it, and sure couldn't see orientation. Once I figured out it's rotation it took awhile to get it back. The fun news is that the GoPro was mounted and running..

-cam mount needs to get stiffened up as the cam seems to oscillate.I thing think this can be fixed with a seam of epoxy.
-Tri-Lube smooths out the motors nicely
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HPQ1 Flight

Got mine up into the air today, some wind. Fairly stable. Needs at least 20% expo, maybe more. It looks like there is some coupling between yaw and roll. Has anybody else experienced this? The plastic prop nuts are lame. I'm going to try to find some metric nuts to replace them, but they are reported to be 3.5mm.

This is going to be a really neat platform.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys should do a little more research before purchasing something like this. I assume all who buy are new to multirotors. These models are way overpriced. You can get so much more for your money. Also all the vids I seen the model wobbles. The HQ-2 looks like a rebranded LotusRc T580P to me and does not cost $1800. It should be illegal for them to charge that much. Just google Alishamo T580P for more info.
BTW that is not me.
Z06 Tony is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
You guys should do a little more research before purchasing something like this. I assume all who buy are new to multirotors. These models are way overpriced. You can get so much more for your money. Also all the vids I seen the model wobbles. The HQ-2 looks like a rebranded LotusRc T580P to me and does not cost $1800. It should be illegal for them to charge that much. Just google Alishamo T580P for more info.
BTW that is not me.
You need to read the model #'s a little closer before commenting. What is under discussion is an HPQ-1, not the HPQ-2, and it was $289 RTF with case. Priced considerably lower than anything in this payload class. I might agree with the HPQ-2, but not this one.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
You need to read the model #'s a little closer before commenting. What is under discussion is an HPQ-1, not the HPQ-2, and it was $289 RTF with case. Priced considerably lower than anything in this payload class. I might agree with the HPQ-2, but not this one.
I most certainly did read-> http://rotorconcept.com/heli1.asp
Says $899 right there and HPQ-1 and I even added to cart and it was $899. If you paid $289 then thats not bad but I was only going by what I seen.
Z06 Tony is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this is one of those "$899.00, but today only it's on sale for $....."

I'm out here in Quartzsite for 2 weeks attending the Rv Show, flying all our gadgets, and have sent the Quad up with the GoPro almost out of site, and far higher than it can be heard to do some photo pans (I need to learn patience when descending tho). Not having had anything like this I'm impressed at what it can do. If this is a beginner level Quad, I'll be looking forward to building the next one
Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a few shots from an HD GoPro mounted on the HPQ1 while out in Quartzsite, AZ. last week:

Takeoff Silhouette:

A few air shots from the cam:

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, I picked one up at Toledo and I am trying to set up my Spektrum enabled Futaba 8U. I have not been able to make it work, I can occasionally get the motors to very briefly spool, but that is it. I have tried to set the transimtter in heli and airplane modes but still no joy. Can anyone please give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Lew Heifner

Last edited by n0kjf; 04-17-2012 at 08:58 PM..
n0kjf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did some research and Rotor Concept uses a radio transmitter under their own brand, with programming capablities, nice LCD screen, more functions, etc.
Buying a quad from some of these other websites for $300-$400 will give you a pretty basic transmitter. In addition, it does not come with the camera mount or an additional battery.
Obviously this doesn't make up for the $900 price tag, but its important to note if you were looking through the Rotor Concept videos and were expecting everything in the box.
tsmalls3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in