Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 350-360mm Heli Roundup

Hi folks,

I'm doing some research on helis that can swing a 350-360mm blade. A few come to mind:

- Compass Warp 360
- MSH Mini Protos (with stretch kit?)
- Gaui X3
- JR Forza 450 EX
- Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E360

What else is out there? What have you personally tried?

I'm looking for a park helicopter for when my 550 and 700 are too big. I'd prefer something with a belt-drive tail and no boom supports. I generally don't like 325s though, so anything which flies better, is easy to see, and easier to work on is a big plus.

Thanks,
Daniel
dswitkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Warp: Big, Heavy (1050g RTF), expensive, crashes average to poor, belt, non-driven tail for autos, no boom supports.
MSH: Lightweight (900g RTF, stretch), moderate price, crashes well to okay, all belt, driven tail, boom supports.
X3: Generic yet latest and greatest. Cheap-ish. Crashes well. Overbuilt/slightly heavy. TT Tail, boom supports.
Forza: Unknown, brand new (is it even out?), expensive. Belted and boom supported.
Thunder Tiger: Don't know much about this one.

Don't forget the 450L (generic, good, TT, Boom supports).

My opinions.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks. The Forza 450 has been out for a while, and it looks like the EX version just started shipping. The cool thing about the EX is that it can be flown with a covered boom or boom supports:

http://www.jramericas.com/pages.php?pageid=108

The combo with everything except battery and receiver is $600, which is even cheaper than a Mini Protos with an Ikon and entry-level servos. Of course I'd rather have an Ikon than JR's TAGS unit.

Good call on the Dominator except the torque tube will probably rule it out for me.

Any other models out there?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Warp crashes well, had 3 crashes (soft ground) and many many tipovers. Didn't need to change any shaft, hub or bearing.
The fact the power to the tail stops on TH also protects the tail section (belt and blades) from damage. Made a weelie on the tail once, it th in time, just needed to pull the boom out of the boom block (it had recessed from the small vertical fall on the tail) and kept flying.

It has a very strong tail authority, i know no other 450 that can spin low rpm and do the wildest funnels with some wind and hold nice (regular 450 tail blades). This is due to the huge tail disk, the diameter is 1.2 cm wider then a Align 450 tail grips with thrust bearings.

Regarding to weight it is not heavy, it weights the same as a X3. Just check the X3 AUW thread, several X3 are around 1100 grams. No difference here.
Some fliers report that the Warp fares a bit better in the wind then a X3.
The Warp is also the most silent bird in the field, even stealthier then the miniProtos.
And to end, due to the non driven tail, it autos like a champ, it's very easy to build/keep HS.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Luigi. I was very interested in the Warp when it came out, but then I heard it had a high parts count e.g. the main gear. Would you say it's more complex than similar heils?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

High parts count? Not at all.
It may be a bit trickier to route the wires (not that hard) and there is a shim between the main gear and lower bearing that may require some finesse to align properly.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have also been thinking of a heli this size.
I have seen some pics of the KDS Agile 3.6 that looks interesting but I don't think it is out yet. I think it is torque tube but does not have boom supports.

Bill

P.S. I enjoy listening to the podcast.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Agile 3.6. Looks like they're coming out with two different helis around this size:

http://www.rcheliresource.com/two-ne...eam-kds-agile/

You're right, both are torque tube though. Bummer.

P.S. Thanks. It's been tough to get motivated to record these days, we're both very busy and not flying much.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Agile 3.6. Looks like they're coming out with two different helis around this size:

http://www.rcheliresource.com/two-ne...eam-kds-agile/

You're right, both are torque tube though. Bummer.

P.S. Thanks. It's been tough to get motivated to record these days, we're both very busy and not flying much.
That looks like a very neat heli, and robust too. 8mm main shaft (with bearings&swash accordingly stronger) and a few grams lighter then a Warp.
I really think there will be a belt version too. 80% of the feedback on the forum was requesting for it, and the design makes it simple to put a belt there, it has even already been tested with belt.
Have no idea why they went with those noisy straight TT gears on both versions, I think we will see a mini "banshee" in the future
Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Should be interesting to watch and see if both KDS helis are released, and in what configurations. I hope they have decent dealer support.

Speaking of which, the Forza has been pretty tough to find a vendor for. At least JR is a brand which has been around a long time and isn't going anywhere. Same reason I felt OK buying a Henseleit -- only one vendor, but been going at it forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in