Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Rate mode and Heading Hold mode with DX8 and Gpro?

I have a Gpro installed in my Dominator 700L with DX8 transmitter.
I want to test the model in "Rate mode" to check the tail is mechanically setup right, or make mechanical adjustments as required.
I know a solid red light on Gpro indicates rate or normal mode active and a solid green light means in Heading Hold Mode, but how do I assign a channel and switch on the DX8 to actively place the Gpro between Rate mode and Heading Hold Mode?
In other words, I want a switch on the DX8 that I can use to switch in and out of heading hold mode.
CapedVulture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not know about the GPro, but on my Tarot ZYX and EFlite G210 gyro it works on CH5:

>0: 0...100 gyro gain range = heading hold mode
<0: -100...0 gyro gain range = rate / normal mode

On the DX8 you might be able to use either the L-Trim buttons for fine tuning gyro gains (once activated in switch menu) or you might be able to setup a programmable mix for any of those Flap/Gyro or Governor buttons.

once flipped from 0 to 1 or 2 a fixed rate mode gyro gain value is sent on CH5.

On DeviationTX (more powerful firmware than DX8G1 airware) I use a Mix2 button and if that is switched to it even allows me to use the knob to fine-tune the gyro gain.

I guess it's always a good idea to have at least one rate mode mixer working so if the tail is going crazy you might be able to switch back from heading hold mode to rate / normal mode.

Thomas
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
I do not know about the GPro, but on my Tarot ZYX and EFlite G210 gyro it works on CH5:

>0: 0...100 gyro gain range = heading hold mode
<0: -100...0 gyro gain range = rate / normal mode

On the DX8 you might be able to use either the L-Trim buttons for fine tuning gyro gains (once activated in switch menu) or you might be able to setup a programmable mix for any of those Flap/Gyro or Governor buttons.

once flipped from 0 to 1 or 2 a fixed rate mode gyro gain value is sent on CH5.

On DeviationTX (more powerful firmware than DX8G1 airware) I use a Mix2 button and if that is switched to it even allows me to use the knob to fine-tune the gyro gain.

I guess it's always a good idea to have at least one rate mode mixer working so if the tail is going crazy you might be able to switch back from heading hold mode to rate / normal mode.

Thomas
lol

That one sounds like a very very old "backup" solution used at the times of the very very first "tail gyros"...
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, it probably is :-)

For the Eflite G210 gyro they tell you in the manual: Adjust mechnical mid so that it is 50:50 of the tail shaft.
But as I tried that it means rougly zero tail precomp pitch!?! Weird.

So when I re-setup the Blade heli after the crash I used the normal/rate mode first to properly setup some tail precomp pitch.

And as I do this of course I am free to setup a mixer which makes use of the normal mode too :-)

But IMHO it is quite time consuming to mechnically adjust for precomp tail pitch by using rate-/normal mode.
You either have to move the servo forward-backward on the boom or use the pushrod for detail adjusting for the correct rod length.

More modern FBLs seem to support an auto-precomp tail/trim option :-)
I believe you do not even use the rate-mode feature anymore...
Mid 50:50 of tail shaft is IMHO easier to setup mechanically once...
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in