Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #21
nightflyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Happy to hear you found the solution,

I hadn't considered your power system due to the fact all of mine are installed on 600,700 and 800 class. So supply voltage and amps are never an issue.

Enjoy flying

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #22
Ossibong
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks,

Hopefully all will now be good once I sort this out, and I think I should be running BEC's on my 500's as well - this whole ESC power supply thing is a bit of a drama.

Thanks for your help and input - I have learnt a lot, and hopefully can now get it sorted and fly the mother without putting on the co-pilot and smashing it up, which is contrary to the whole aim ! ha ha

Le teveryone kow when it is finally finalised!

Cheers
Ossibong is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #23
moglos
Registered Users

Default and...

Hi Ossibong.

Did you get it going?
moglos is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Johnl2

Default co-pilot and 3gx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossibong View Post
Thanks,

Hopefully all will now be good once I sort this out, and I think I should be running BEC's on my 500's as well - this whole ESC power supply thing is a bit of a drama.

Thanks for your help and input - I have learnt a lot, and hopefully can now get it sorted and fly the mother without putting on the co-pilot and smashing it up, which is contrary to the whole aim ! ha ha

Le teveryone kow when it is finally finalised!

Cheers
Hello, my name is John, and I was wondering, I am having some of the same issues, except mine tilts the swash like you said even without the 3gx being hooked up. I was also wondering, which do you actually bind the Rx to, the receiver, or the 3gx system? I am in a bind here! I don't really know how to work on these forums, if you could e-mail me, I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is johnjol399@aol.com. Thank you in advance
Johnl2 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
Generalx5
Registered Users

Why use the 3GX? I imagine going RX to CPII directly no 3GX.

whats the advantage of the 3GX in there?
Generalx5 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
Ossibong
Registered Users

Default 3GX and Co-Pilot

Hi John,

Saw your posting on Helifreaks – replying to your email as you wanted, but will post as well.

I had a hell of a time with being one of the first to install a co-pilot system to the new (then) 3gx flybarless) and boy did I learn the hard way!! Ha

I love flying both my 450 and now my 500 with the co-pilot system on them – both flybarless, but there are quite a few traps – hopefully I can list them here for you.

1) Make sure you have a BEC fitted to your heli – the co-pilot requires a good power supply and without it – no good. I fitted everything to my brand new 450 – tested and all worked independently – flew, turned co-pilot on – crashed straight down without so much as a flutter – I did not have a BEC fitted and when the co-pilot was turned on – took all of the power from the servo’s and 3g and it landed like a rock – lot of damage!! Ha
2) Make sure you have the co-pilot between your receiver and the 3Gx – so receiver to co-pilot, co-pilot to 3GX – put one of the power leads from your BEC into the receiver or if you have enough room (like a 8 channel receiver) you can put both of the BEC leads directly into the receiver to get maximum power.
3) If your 450 doesn’t have a BEC fitted now and you are using the supply from your ESC, you need to cut the red wire from your ESC supply so that the lead is still in the receiver for the throttle, but you are not getting the power supply – you will have two different power supplies then – no good again! – trust me.
4) I have a 7 channel receiver on both my 450 and 500 so that I can have one channel to switch the co-pilot on and off – this is really important with the flybarless setup so you can turn off when you are on the ground and when you are landing.
5) The reason your swashplate is moving when you don’t have the co-pilot on is that even in off – there is around 6% control given to the co-pilot – you need to go into the setup for co-pilot and make sure that you turn down the % on the normal position to nil – this will then show up as off when you do a pre-flight check. – this is really important!.
6) With the flybarless system – the co-pilot is reacting (at the preset 6%) when you are on the ground moving around the heli connecting etc – this upsets the whole 3GX system and it then reacts and so on – Before I found this problem, my heli would sometimes just tip over at start-up as the co-pilot was reacting to weeds or something close, and the flybarless system would react to that – and all hell would break loose!! Ha Definitely need to make sure it is OFF in normal flying switch position and only comes on in Stunt 1 and Stunt 2.
7) Get off the ground, switch into stunt mode and co-pilot comes on – turn if into normal flying position prior to landing otherwise you will have the same issue – it can just tilt over and blow a set of blades because the co-pilot is reacting to something on the ground or close to it – and the 3gx is compensating – and again- all hell breaks loose!
8) As you get better you can only have it come on in stunt 2 mode – and use that as an emergency setting – I am still in Stunt 1 mode with it on, but I have upped my control over the co-pilot at present.

Any queries, please do not hesitate and I will try to clarify – but you will definitely enjoy flying flybarless with the co-pilot – it is terrific and has saved my literally tons of money with the amount of saves it has made for me!

Hope this helps
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #27
sutty
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalx5 View Post
Why use the 3GX? I imagine going RX to CPII directly no 3GX.

whats the advantage of the 3GX in there?
The 3GX, or similar FBL controller, such as a BeastX MicroBeast, is a requirement here because the person in question must have had an FBL heli. The CPII is a flight stability system, and does not have the ability to operate as an FBL controller, or at least not a very good one, as it is not what it is designed to do. Basically its stability control loops are too slow for some of the demands of FBL flight. Having said that, it has been used to provide adequate stability to an FBL heli, for fairly sedate flying, but under extreme conditions, where the control loops for FBL would be pushed to their max, I'm pretty sure the CPII would fail in this regard. So, if your heli is and FBL heli, you must also have and FBL controller, such as the 3GX.

Cheers

Sutty

Last edited by sutty; 10-04-2012 at 11:58 AM..
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #28
Ossibong
Registered Users

Default FBL operation of CP11

Hi Guys,

The co-pilot does not actually come into operation till the aileron stick is in the centre point - so it has absolutely no effect on your flying at any time - it will bring the heli to stable upright flight if you are in trouble doing whatever type of manouver you are doing, and let the aileron stick centralise - until then it does not have any role in your flying actually.

You can set it up for 3D or whatever you like and it will let you do inverted flying, and rolls etc - all as normal, but will pull your heli into level flight if you need it to -

Operates fine on a FBL system and can save you a ton of crash repairs!

What you need to get used to and gradually wean yourself off of is the heli coming to level flight every time you let your aileron centralise - you can back the % of controll off - or actually increase your control % over the co-pilot up to 150% so the centralising is substantially reduced and the co-pilot will still save your butt when needed.

You can also just use it as an emergency mode and flick into mode2 which you set up same as 1 but with co-pilot turning on in 2 only - I have a mate that fly's this way and likes it so he has the ability to save his but when needed but till then he is on his own.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #29
jperkosk
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Incorrect.

CP2 is never truly off until both of the below conditions are true:
  1. Autotrim has been set to 0
  2. You're sending an "off" signal level to CP2 (established during the Quick Setup) from the Tx to CP2
What you call "control level" is actually called "Stick Priority" and it comes into play when you switch the CP2 "on" (putting it into "Level Flight" mode). What it does is it gradually reduces the CP2 leveling action the further you move the aileron stick. It's not an on/off action (like SL on SK720 for example), it's a gradual reduction. Higher Stick Priority simply means the manual CP2 override happens quicker.
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
nightflyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #31
Ossibong
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Hi,

Both of the conditions you speak of are how I have mine set up and strongly suggest they are the only way to fly a FBL heli with co-pilot.

Setting the auto trim to 0 saves a whole lot of trouble on take off and landing and turning it off before take off and again before landing is the most risk free way to go in my opinion.

Thanks for your information about the stick priority - I was of the opinion that it only come into play when the aileron was centered - certainly feels that way anyway
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #32
jperkosk
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on FBL auto trim disabling, that feature was totally conceptualized in pre-FBL times

SK720 totally disables SL when it detect out-of-center stick. CP2 feels close to it with maximum Stick Priority of 150%, but if your SP is lower, let's say default 100%, you'll feel a distinct difference.
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #33
Ossibong
Registered Users

Default CP 2

Hi Jerry,

Thinking about it the CP2 does sort of soften the FBL when the CP2 is at 100% I agree no probs, but really it doesnt kick in till the aileron is centered.

Either way it is nice to fly with the CP2 as it allows confidence to grow at as you fly without the major crashes - for me anyway.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2016, 02:09 AM   #34
Wilcox
Registered Users

Default Help with 3GX MR and Co-Pilot 2 please

Hi, Im new in this hobby and I wanted to ask if someone knows how to connect a Co Pilot II into a 3GX MR flybarless of my T Rex 450 in detail.
I bought the CPII and I have looked every were, I send a message to Revoelectrix, never got answer and there is no instructions of how to do it in this FBL system. If someone knows how to do it and could explain me how to connect it, it would be very helpfull.

Thanks
Wilcox is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #35
nightflyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quite simple really:

With the 3GX installed after your Rx. in accordance with the 3GX instructions for standard Rx connection:

Test fly your helicopter and tune it to where your happy with the way it flies.

Once your happy with your setup, you'll need to attach the CPII on to the helicopter ...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=215203
Tons of info here.

Once mounted, the basic setup goes like this
Rx>>>>>CPII>>>>>3GX>>>>>servos

Depending on your Rx the wiring may vary, but for futaba ..

That should get you started..
Just keep in mind that you'll need to set the auto trim feature on the CPII to 0 and have it switched off when you first power up your helicopter.
You'll switch it on once your in the air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3gxwrx.png
Views:	61
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	659786  

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization