Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > HeliFreak.com Rules, Support and Testing > Other Websites > RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner

RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner for Suggestions and Announcements from RCHN

Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
toadiscoil
Registered Users

Default Spektrum telemetry

Just saw the News section. This sounds promising. So how does this work? I will use my own setup as an example.

iKon 2 with BT with DSMX sat receivers, 6 channel Spektrum radio DX6 G2.

So if I buy this it means that I can use the included DSMX sat receivers instead of the ones I have (or use the same ones) and attach the Telemetry unit. Then attach that to the main flight pack and then that means I would have:

1. Bluetooth connectivity as today to tweak the FBL unit.
2. Radio integration alerts for battery flight pack. Which means I could stop using timers and flip between IU's without worrying about time, just flight until optimal discharge.
3. What else?

This sounds very promising if it works like this because unless Jeti for my iKon sounded like not many telemetry options correct?

Of course it sounds like I need at least a DX9 now, right?

Excited but bummed as now I need more money
Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
jrman83
Registered Users

If you are talking about the Spektrum 4649T rcvr, it is not working yet with MSH. Soon to come, but the SRXL use is not there yet. At least from the little I have paid attention to on the forum. So you have time to save

Don't believe you "need" the DX9, but if that is how you justify it, okay. I know you want one.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
toadiscoil
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, I am talking about some forthcoming receivers/telemetry combos:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/SearchDi...e064on78c1y629

It looks like they work off the unit and the DSMX sat. So their own self-contained unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
If you are talking about the Spektrum 4649T rcvr, it is not working yet with MSH. Soon to come, but the SRXL use is not there yet. At least from the little I have paid attention to on the forum. So you have time to save

Don't believe you "need" the DX9, but if that is how you justify it, okay. I know you want one.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
jrman83
Registered Users

Not sure if it would fall into the same boat or not, but my guess is it would not integrate with your FBL until they work on it. Maybe it would come with the coming of the SRXL support? A good question in the MSH forum.

They look interesting, but damn are they expensive and sort of look big.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
toadiscoil
Registered Users

As far as I can tell, they don't integrate with the FBL at all. They are little (well yes kinda big) self-contained units. Before Spektrum was left out of Telemetry unless you had an AR7200 or AR7210, unsure if BeastX would also play with their telemetry stuff.

It seems this way you can have any FBL with Spektrum battery telemetry which is pretty cool. FBL integration is still nowhere to be seen, but the Bluetooth remote programmability kinda eases that a bit.

I know more advanced pilots talk about a ton of telemetry info but to me the battery is the big thing on telemetry, at least at my skill level. I would love to forget about timers and just fly at different IU's and let the radio tell me when it's time to land whether that's 3 minutes, 2 minutes or 5 minutes if I do a mix of IU modes and flight styles for that particular flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Not sure if it would fall into the same boat or not, but my guess is it would not integrate with your FBL until they work on it. Maybe it would come with the coming of the SRXL support? A good question in the MSH forum.

They look interesting, but damn are they expensive and sort of look big.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Raz0rSh4rp
Registered Users

These new receivers will still require a separate sensor to pick up flight battery capacity. This appears to monitor rx batteries only as it only accepts 10v. Too little too late IMHO.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
toadiscoil
Registered Users

I took a peek at the manual and that voltage is the input voltage to the receiver/telemetry unit. It can be powered by a 2S LiPo or I don't know if it could be routed through the BEC. There are several examples of up to 4000mAh flight packs. So I think it is actually able to monitor any flight pack. I think it is actually the solution to monitor flight pack voltage via Spektrum telemetry with any FBL.

Yes I agree it is too late but the cost for a 9 channel unit includes two sats so versus say a Jeti solution it comes down cheaper.

I am less technical than you Saje but this is what I read from the manual. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rSh4rp View Post
These new receivers will still require a separate sensor to pick up flight battery capacity. This appears to monitor rx batteries only as it only accepts 10v. Too little too late IMHO.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
Fauropitotto
Registered Users

Then why not pick up a used TM1000 and an SPMA9590?

Sure it classic Spektrum implementation of a Ratsnest, but it'll work.

IMO, a Jeti/VControl/Horus is a one-time expense that will outlast your helicopters. If you plan on staying in the hobby, making that single investment to get all the telemetry/integration you want is worth saving up for.

You can pick up a Jeti/Vcontrol for less than the cost of a used Goblin 380.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
toadiscoil
Registered Users

Vcontrol would be awesome but I can't financially go even for a 700. Heck I am struggling to go 500. So a FBL and radio swap (plus receivers) is an expense I can't go through. Even buying this new kit is less expensive than swapping platform. Plus used Spektrum radios at a decent price are not hard to find since I only have a 6 channel radio.

I think this solution is classic Blade/Spektrum. Good basic stuff that works at a feasible price. IF it works like I understand with my limited knowledge.I haven't had any issues with the platform so far. Again just a newbie nothing complex for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauropitotto View Post
Then why not pick up a used TM1000 and an SPMA9590?

Sure it classic Spektrum implementation of a Ratsnest, but it'll work.

IMO, a Jeti/VControl/Horus is a one-time expense that will outlast your helicopters. If you plan on staying in the hobby, making that single investment to get all the telemetry/integration you want is worth saving up for.

You can pick up a Jeti/Vcontrol for less than the cost of a used Goblin 380.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
flint723
Registered Users

If all you care about is main pack voltage, a SPM4649T will do that natively in a small package (but it is still unclear on it's max pack voltage supported) since it's marketed as a quad RX. But your FBL would need to support spektrum SRXL interface although I do have one working (on the bench) using regular Spektrum sat interface with a Brain.

I don't think I am going to fly with it though until Brain SRXL update happens. Supposed to be early Jan but we'll see.

Last edited by flint723; 12-16-2016 at 12:26 PM..
flint723 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Tomy.
Registered Users

Toad, the horizon site is less than verbose about the features of the new units, but in general all of them look like Spektrum receiver + TM unit in one package, maybe they will throw in a few small additions, but I'm not holding my breath to see a huge breakthrough from them.

As Fauropitotto said above, you can already get what you want (and even more) by picking up a TM1000. It natively supports Rx AND main flight battery voltage and 1 temp sensor out of the box, and it actually comes with the wiring/sensors you need to get it up and running for all that data. You'll need a Spektrum telemetry enabled radio (not sure if the DX8 is ok, or you'll need a 9 or 18).

If you want more, you can use other Spektrum sensors, or even the jlog can go through the TM-1000 to get ESC data out of several ESC's and through to the Spektrum radio real-time as well. The DX9 and 18 can do alarms nicely and also dump all the logs in a file on the SD, and you can use http://www.tlmviewer.com/ to analyze, and graph all the data. At the end the Spektrum solution is not super bad, but it's not a single piece solution (plus, you should not even dream about telemetry or programming integration with the Brain).
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:40 PM   #12
toadiscoil
Registered Users

Thanks for all the info! So I can use a TM1000 from the data port to where on the iKon? I just want flight pack telemetry.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
Fauropitotto
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Thanks for all the info! So I can use a TM1000 from the data port to where on the iKon? I just want flight pack telemetry.
Doesn't work like that.

The TM1000 is a stand alone unit.

If you want flight pack voltage, the TM1000 comes with a wiring harness that you can use. You bind the TM1000 to your radio, and it will relay the flight pack voltage to your radio system.

If you want flight pack current (capacity), then the separately purchased SPMA9590 is wired inline with your flight pack and then connected to the TM1000.

The TM1000 cannot not transfer any data with your FBL system, nor does it interact in any way with your DSMX satellites.

It's Spektrum's workaround for not integrating telemetry into their satellites or their other receivers.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #14
toadiscoil
Registered Users

Right but don't you bind one receiver at a time? My assumption was to plug in to the iKon the TM1000 and the TM1000 having the satellite and handling the sending of the movement channels to the FBL and sending/receiving telemetry data. I know there is no integration with the FBL. That's kind of what the manual says that it connects to the data port of a receiver. I am a bit confused as to how it could work. It should relay telemetry data on say a 7th channel while the first 6 channels are used for servo movements, throttle and in my case, Rescue. If I had a DX9 I could have other stuff like bank switching and maybe one more telemetry feed but it would be the same bind, different channels. So the TM1000 would basically act as a receiver but instead of having all the servo wires it would go through the data port sending the basic channels to the FBL.

That is why I thought that the TM1000 could only be used with an AR7200 or AR7210 going through the Data port on the FBL.

Or, do I need an actual Spektrum receiver to plug into the data port, then have a loom of cables to send to the FBL? That would make two additional modules and a lot of servo wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauropitotto View Post
Doesn't work like that.

The TM1000 is a stand alone unit.

If you want flight pack voltage, the TM1000 comes with a wiring harness that you can use. You bind the TM1000 to your radio, and it will relay the flight pack voltage to your radio system.

If you want flight pack current (capacity), then the separately purchased SPMA9590 is wired inline with your flight pack and then connected to the TM1000.

The TM1000 cannot not transfer any data with your FBL system, nor does it interact in any way with your DSMX satellites.

It's Spektrum's workaround for not integrating telemetry into their satellites or their other receivers.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
jrman83
Registered Users

If going to the FBL, it still sounds like it will need the SRXL support on the FBL end, which MSH isn't there yet. Release is next year and soon, or so they say.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
Fauropitotto
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Right but don't you bind one receiver at a time?
No, you can bind them both at the same time, by putting the satellite in bind mode, while turning on and holding the bind button on the TM1000. Another set of hands can help. I think you can also bind them separately, as multiple receivers can be bound to the same transmitter.

Quote:
My assumption was to plug in to the iKon the TM1000 and the TM1000 having the satellite and handling the sending of the movement channels to the FBL and sending/receiving telemetry data.
No. The only thing you feed the TM1000 is power (5V-8V). The TM1000 cannot be connected to a satellite. It can be connected to a full spektrum receiver if you want to get telemetry like frames and fades, but nothing else.

Quote:
I know there is no integration with the FBL. That's kind of what the manual says that it connects to the data port of a receiver.
A full receiver, not a satellite. Satellites are not full receivers.

Quote:
It should relay telemetry data on say a 7th channel while the first 6 channels are used for servo movements, throttle and in my case, Rescue. If I had a DX9 I could have other stuff like bank switching and maybe one more telemetry feed but it would be the same bind, different channels. So the TM1000 would basically act as a receiver but instead of having all the servo wires it would go through the data port sending the basic channels to the FBL.
The TM1000 is just a transmitter, not a receiver. It will not use a channel for anything. It will not interact in any way with any channel. It will not interact in any way with any FBL system. The only thing it can interact with are the standard spektrum telemetry systems (RPM, temperature, xbus sensors), a standard spektrum full receiver (through the data port ONLY for frames and fade data that function like an RSSI system)[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Or, do I need an actual Spektrum receiver to plug into the data port, then have a loom of cables to send to the FBL? That would make two additional modules and a lot of servo wires.
This is why I left Spektrum and bit the bullet for something more integrated. You're going to end up with an extra module, more wires, and why I called it a "Rats Nest" solution. They were absolute fools in how they built their systems.

I think SPM4649T is the closest thing to a fully integrated unit with a singleline output, but I don't know how something like that is going to be hooked up to something like the Ikon.

Confused yet? That's the Spektrum way. Just trying to make sense of how to get telemetry properly will drive you insane.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
flint723
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
If all you care about is main pack voltage, a SPM4649T will do that natively in a small package (but it is still unclear on it's max pack voltage supported) since it's marketed as a quad RX. But your FBL would need to support spektrum SRXL interface although I do have one working (on the bench) using regular Spektrum sat interface with a Brain.

I don't think I am going to fly with it though until Brain SRXL update happens. Supposed to be early Jan but we'll see.
So, I got a reply from Horizon, V Batt port on 4649T rx supports only 6s main pack voltage.

I would love to leave spektrum but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
Baedarlboo
Registered Users

I HAD TM100's and TM1100 on all of my brains. You don't need a ar7200/7210 for telemetry. The only thing you gain by using the AR series fbl/rx combo are Holds. Everything else works just the same. I've since left Spektrum and now on Jeti (hint selling all my spekky TM's, RX's, and accesories in classified). If you really add up all the cost to run Spektrum telem, there's not much of a price difference. A Jeti RX can be had for 50-80 which already includes built in telemetry. So take a Spektrum RX (or sats) and add on the cost of a TM1000. Esprit is running a killer deal for a DS-14 for 625. If I added up all the spek stuff I bought along with the dx18 I HAD, I would have spent much less had I gone straight to Jeti.
Baedarlboo is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > HeliFreak.com Rules, Support and Testing > Other Websites > RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner

RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner for Suggestions and Announcements from RCHN