Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
opkin
Registered Users

Default New heli - 550/570/650 ?

Hi All,

Have a 550v2 converted to FBL.
Running Align BL600MX
Microbeast std
6s 5000
Align 70amp esc

Owned it for a few years and have had very few issues, but am looking to replace it as i'm getting a bit bored of it and would like a newer heli.

I've had my eye on a Goblin 570 as I like the styling, size and I can use my lipos, servos and possibly motor.

Or I could just upgrade the airframe to a 550L or X

Or go to 12s and get a Black Thunder or 600L.

Any ideas/suggestions ?
opkin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Alberta Millwright
Registered Users

I just built the goblin 570 KSE and find it to be pretty good quality. Some things I don't care for is the fact you glue your ball links into a carbon rod for your tail servo, not really a fan of the whole gluing anything on a heli. The tail boom is supported by two big nylon screws that are a pain in the ass to get started and seem kind of sketchy. It is nice that you can either go 6s or 12s so I went 12s. Check out Synergy's E5 TT as well, I hear nothing but great stuff about it. I love the look of my goblin but after building it I think I would have gone the synergy route instead, however I really wanted to try a 3 bladed head for something different.
Alberta Millwright is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
opkin
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the build info Alberta, the gluing was something I was unaware of and is food for thought. I take it the nylon screws are the sacrificial bolts that should break off in a crash, I from what I've read it's a bit 50/50 if they work or not depending on how you crash, if you get a boom strike for example you're probably looking at a new boom anyway.

Have you flown the 570 or sill setting up ?

The E5 is a good shout I'm not mad keen on the overall look but quality and reviews do seem very good, and I found a kit on sale �� Am liking the fact it can be stretched easily and can run 6 or 12s ! Hmmm decisions.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Thestructured
Registered Users

If you're bored of your 550 there are a few things to think about:

1) throwing your current setup into a 550x will be equally as boring. It will look a little newer but it will fly the same.

2) a goblin 570 would probably make you happy because goblins make everyone happy ;]

but if you are just going to throw your current setup into it, and run it on 6s, it's not going to perform all that much differently.

I know it's just a matter of opinion and preference, but if I'm going to go out of the way to run a 12s setup, it's going to be on a 700 class machine and not a 570.

3) 600 will require new batteries if you don't have them already

So what I'd suggest is...

If you want something purely for looks get the goblin, if you're ok with running your existing setup performance wise.

If you want to keep the convenience of a 550 class heli running a single 6s pack, sell your 550 and buy a new 550x kit, because while the design is nice, it's the electronics that make it awesome. The new 960kv motor absolutely rips.

But really, I think that if you're bored with your 550, it's time to move to a 700 class machine on 12s. I don't know your background but if you haven't flown a 700 there's nothing that compares. It's easier to see, they fly like the sim as far as stability and floatiness, and the power can be absolutely mind blowing, and you already have 6s packs you could use together for 12s (at least I'm assuming)

The E5 you mentioned is a good option because like you said, it can be run as a 550 or a 700 (I have friends at the field that fly both configurations). But if you're bored of your align 550's looks, the E5 is certainly not very exciting in that respect either.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
opkin
Registered Users

Thank you Thestructured -
I've been looking into so many setups and sizes ove the last 24hrs it's all getting a bit much ha ha ! BUT I think you are right, really it now just comes down to;

1.) Keep my 550 set up as it is, Buy a 650/700 size & use my lipos together. This will be the most expensive but will probably get there in the end anyway. Could sell 550 to go bigger but won't gain much for my 550 so not really worth it.

3.) Go with the goblin 570, sell my 550 to fund 12s electronics.

You're correct on the E5, its actually everything that i'm looking for minus the visual appeal. If it was more like the 766 or goblin etc it would be in the post. I did read a post saying there is a Protos 570/600 on the way but not sure when that will be !

In terms of background and experience, been flying on and off for about 6 years started with a 600nitro but only really learned to hover and do a few circuits with that before I sold it. I'm currently at the stage where im learing all inverted circuits, half piros, mobius loops etc. This year I really want to step it up both in terms of my practice/skill level and gear.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Alberta Millwright
Registered Users

I am just finishing the build on my 570, and like "TheStructured" said about going to a 700 class machine on 12s, I agree. However I chose this setup on a KSE 570 because I feel this smaller machine will probably be one of the most powerful heli's out there and I really want to throw this thing around. As well as the Kontronik ESC for the 700 is around $1100.00 CAD and I did not want to spend that kind of coin.

I say if you are looking for an absolute animal of a machine do the 570 on 12s or if you want a great machine with tons of presence opt for a 700 class.

I know my next machine will probably be that Takumi 700 from here in Canada. Nothing compares to the looks of that.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
curmudgeon
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by opkin View Post
Have a 550v2 converted to FBL
...Owned it for a few years and have had very few issues, but am looking to replace it as i'm getting a bit bored of it and would like a newer heli....
Any ideas/suggestions ?
It is nice to have have a trouble-free RTF helicopter in your fleet. If you are still in the learning phase, consider continuing to fly this heli until you crash it beyond repair. If your flying skills are such that this helicopter is holding you back, then consider upgrading to a higher quality helicopter.
Jeti DS-16C
& DX8 Gen 2, Citizen 259
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Thestructured
Registered Users

While I can't speak for the OP, I stopped flying my 550 pro much after I got 700's, because they just fly so incredibly well. The 550 flies great too though, but feels a bit underpowered after getting used to 12s power.

I just ordered the new 960kv version of the 730mx (had the 850kv version in it prior) and am looking forward to making the helicopter exciting again ("make the 550 great again" haha). From what I've seen in videos of the 550x absolutely ripping at 2700rpm, I have pretty high hopes that it'll make me want to fly it again, and you can't beat the convenience of a single 6s pack.

Maybe that could be an option for the OP as well? But if it's an older frame, it may require some dremeling to fit.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
curmudgeon
Registered Users

The 550 and 700 sizes serve different purposes. A 12S to 14S 700 excels in visibility, stability, and auto-rotation capabilities. A smaller 6S to 7S 550 excels at being more economical and easier to transport.

I believe the OP wants to keep a 550-600 helicopter in his fleet, but he is currently "bored" with his older T-Rex 550. If he gets the Goblin 570 he mentioned, he will quickly find out that his old 6S packs will run a lot warmer, so he will have to either invest in new 6S packs or suck it up and ultimately convert to 12S. Not a bad move, but he would need to account for the financial implications. If he gets the Goblin Black Thunder 650 he mentioned, the only components he would be able to cannibalize from his current T-Rex 550 are the servos and the FBL unit. Not a bad move, but he would end up with no net gain in his fleet. As far as selling the remaining T-Rex 550 parts, he may be better off donating it to a proper agency and claiming a tax deduction, since he will not get much money for it.

My suggestion to the OP is that he keeps his T-Rex 550 in its RTF state and only think about getting rid of it when he crashes it beyond repair.
Jeti DS-16C
& DX8 Gen 2, Citizen 259
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
opkin
Registered Users

Thanks for all the comments

I'm currently not looking for an animal setup like Alberta, am not at the smack 3D stage yet (as much as I'd like to be !) Am more of a smooth 3D guy and really like Simone Zunterer's and Pilot Cory's style (Youtube).

But am looking for a Heli which I can crank up in the future to beyond what I would need so has some longevity, if I was'nt to crash that is.

Would like to still use my current 6s 5000's but don't mind if they are used in a 12s setup.

I'm leaning towards keeping my 550 as it is, untill like curmudgeon I crash beyond repair. I'm a very cautious pilot and have only had 1 big crash in 6 years (pilot error), this will change this year as i've ben overly cautious. By this I mean not trying stuff I know I can do on the sim but ***** out IRL ha ha.

Weather update : Snow and wind here in the UK so no flying I'm assuming it's the same in the US and CAN ?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
Alberta Millwright
Registered Users

Well here in Alberta we seen temps around the -40 deg C with snow, so we aren't flying either. I heard the UK got a lot of snow and has some pretty cold temps as well.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
opkin
Registered Users

Wow -40! Yeah it's nowhere near I live in the South East and winter is just grey, wet and miserable. Any of you been to the big US shows, IRCHA etc?
Old 01-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #13
opkin
Registered Users

Hi all, after much deliberation I've decided to stick with a 550 size for now, I have the lipos and charging case set up and for ease of use + costs it seems a better option. Think I'm going to stick with Align and go with a 550X, it has the more powerful motor when needed, better esc with bec and longer boom. Also the option to go 3 blade which I like, without having to go to 12s straight away. I can always go big in a year or so thank you.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
Alberta Millwright
Registered Users

I have never been to any heli event yet. I just enjoy flying with a few friends. Glad you made a decision, keep flying it a ton then after a while you will know what you really want.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
Keyrigger
HF Scale Support

If I can poke a bit of fun here at how things have managed to stay the same with this helicopter? I have been flying the 550EFL since it was version 2. I fly it scale only, no 3D, so power has never been the object of mine. The latest and greatest motor is the 850kv running 6s. I have been running an 890kv motor on 6s but with different gearing setup, only hitting 1450, tops. I can do a pinion change and it would have even more power than the 550X as the 890kv motor puts out 2700 watts vs. the 850 at 2550.

To opkin, you need to change very little on yours to make it any version of the 550 you want. Buy a 600 torque tube, boom, and control rod and you have the chassis done. Change to the heavy duty Mod. 1 gear with matching pinion and you are getting closer. It's nice to have the latest and greatest but when you start to analyse what you have and how little there is in difference, you see you are already there with very little to buy. I have just converted mine to a 700 for use in a large scale helicopter and funny thing, converted a 600EFL Pro to a 550 size to go into a smaller helicopter body. Be careful with the tail gearing as you might want to drop it to the 3.85:1 ration whereas mine is the 4.5:1. The high tail speed would not work too well on the 850 system.

My original system was the 1100kv motor, 170t main gear, 17t pinion, and 4.5:1 tail gear ration. That combination was pretty potent for its day and still performs great in the right hands. You're not that far away from a very potent helicopter now, it's just a bit hard to see it under that current canopy. Have fun no matter what.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
opkin
Registered Users

There are a couple of things that bug me with my current set up, mainly cosmetic and being a designer I'd like it to look as good as it flies.

I have an old 600nitro head, big silver one...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdyboojh2w...FBL_2.jpg?dl=0

I'd like to replace with new 550 FL head, does anyone know what partlist i'd need or if its a direct swap ?

I'm also swapping the main gears out for black helical ones, again haven't looked into which gears and pinions are a direct replacement or work with the FL shaft.

Boom strech is pretty simple.

Will either replace canopy with a 550 or 600 mod with 700 f3c skid.

Cheers Opkin
Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
Keyrigger
HF Scale Support

Are you talking FL or DFC? The two are very different. For the standard 550 head, you would need the complete head plus the 550E main shaft and 53mm long pitch links. The 550E shaft will fit the 600EFL Pro and I think was the shaft used in the Pro first generation. I would suggest downloading the manual for the DFC version and get the main parts list (or measurements of the parts like the links) from the manual or online from the Align parts listing for the DFC model.

For your operation, what head speed will you be planning on as that makes a change to the main and rear drive ratio and what parts to order. Black gears can be ordered in 110t, 112t, and 118t for the mains. There are two different autorotation ratios, 4.5:1 and 3.85:1, but all tail gears are interchangeable for the 550/600. Just to add some fun, they have just come out with red gearing but fear not, all ratios are there. Take care.

Don

PS: I am not sure your gain on changing the head unless you are wanting the lower DFC version and personally, I prefer the slightly higher standard FBL head system
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #18
opkin
Registered Users

Hi Don,

Was looking at the FL like on the 550x or 3blade. Not DFC, had a 450L and the DFC links do either break fairly easily or strip servos.

It's a V1 with std boom and looking at the upgrade list, costs are adding up.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:59 AM   #19
Keyrigger
HF Scale Support

I agree that with a V1 550, the costs will start to really climb. The 550X is such a different chassis that you would be hard pressed to attempt to duplicate it with any money saved. For the average person, I am not so sure that changing the entire chassis is needed, though. With so many parts that can be fitting to the existing chassis, it still may be possible. Gear changes to the most up to date Mod. 1 gear system will give you a more robust gear train. Changing the tail ratio to the 3.85:1 ratio will allow you to increase the head speed and not end up with a twitchy tail. Those parts are not out of the ballpark cost and it can add some durability to your model. I guess the biggest change would be the motor, dropping from the 1100 to the 850kv, and the extra torque and power it has. I have been playing with two custom builds, one a stretched 550 to a 700 with 12s Mod. 1 gearing and the other is a 600E Pro that was shrunk to a 550E using the old Mod .7 gear system. Sometimes, it is about the journey to get to where you want to be with a given helicopter. I have had a great time learning how to deal with things like custom shortening pushrods, cutting booms, cutting torque tubes, getting the gear ratios set better for low head speeds, and how to make it all into one cohesive unit. There's lots of ideas floating around and hope you are able to get where you want to be. Take care.

Don

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.