Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

450 Aftermarket Upgrades 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
rdlohr
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Since this is close to a real product now, I'll move this to aftermarket parts.
Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Do you guys that got locks like them? How do they work?

Rick
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #23
Wolfpackin
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default A Simple Solution to a Difficult Problem

I just tried out my rdlohr flybar lock and all I can say is "Wow, put the fun back into head setup."

My OCD anal retentive condition forces me to try for the most precise pitch setup everytime I tune my heli. One of the things that has always bothered me is the inability to get repeatable and accurate collective and cyclic pitch readings due to the flybar not being exactly level or not being in exactly the same position when I switch blades or turn the rotor blades.

Let's face it, pitch readings are only as accurate as the human eye's ability to see level or aligned planes. Add into that mix the task of making the flybar perfectly level, 90 to the main shaft, and you have two areas for error. This makes pitch readings, at least in my experience, very inaccurate and inconsistant.

Well, Rick has solved the flybar leveling problem with his new flybar lock tool.
I've tried eyeballing, cutting a foam blade holder along with some other not so great ideas. This tool works flawlessly.

Once the tool is put into position the rotor disk can be turned in any orientation. This enables the user to take collective pitch readings with the blades on either side of the heli (or in any random orientation), and to take cyclic pitch measurements for AIL and ELE, all without having to remove or reset the tool. Consistancy is now attainable.

IMO, this flybar lock is now on the list of must have setup tools right along side the pitch gauge and swashplate leveling tool.

Great job, Rick!
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpackin View Post
I just tried out my rdlohr flybar lock and all I can say is "Wow, put the fun back into head setup."

My OCD anal retentive condition forces me to try for the most precise pitch setup everytime I tune my heli. One of the things that has always bothered me is the inability to get repeatable and accurate collective and cyclic pitch readings due to the flybar not being exactly level or not being in exactly the same position when I switch blades or turn the rotor blades.

Let's face it, pitch readings are only as accurate as the human eye's ability to see level or aligned planes. Add into that mix the task of making the flybar perfectly level, 90 to the main shaft, and you have two areas for error. This makes pitch readings, at least in my experience, very inaccurate and inconsistant.

Well, Rick has solved the flybar leveling problem with his new flybar lock tool.
I've tried eyeballing, cutting a foam blade holder along with some other not so great ideas. This tool works flawlessly.

Once the tool is put into position the rotor disk can be turned in any orientation. This enables the user to take collective pitch readings with the blades on either side of the heli (or in any random orientation), and to take cyclic pitch measurements for AIL and ELE, all without having to remove or reset the tool. Consistancy is now attainable.

IMO, this flybar lock is now on the list of must have setup tools right along side the pitch gauge and swashplate leveling tool.

Great job, Rick!
Excellent! You just made my day. Glad it worked out!
Rick
Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #25
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'm really interested to hear which heads it works on, and which it doesn't. I'll make multiple versions as necessary. Hopefully the clones match up with the Align versions. What I know so far:

Align V1/V2 (SA Metal Head): Works great
CopterX V2: A little tight on . (May required a little sanding) (Wolfpackin)
Align Plastic seesaw: Dougb returned filed down version. I CADed it. I need to mill it and send to doug to try)
Align Sport (V3): Need data (Dougb filed one up. caralmar sending me a head)
Align Pro: I plan to buy a Pro for Christmas that I can used to make a lock

Just so you know, I made it pretty tight on purpose to assure it holds in place and really locks the flybar. It will push in past the lever arm, but not clear to the cylinder.

Also, sounds like $10 is a reasonable price.

Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 11-29-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #26
almsy
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default It's a winner!

Rick,
The flybar lock you graciously sent me to try works great on my 450SA. I have upgraded to metal all the original plastic parts except for the blade grips over the last 2 years on the SA and it fit perfectly. Your design is so easy to slip into place and it locks the flybar securely without any issues whatsoever. It is so easy to use, there is no reason not to use it, even for a quick pitch check. I was able to verify what I had suspected for awhile, my negative pitch was a bit greater than the positive and it allowed me to make adjustments without 'eyeballing' the flybar as I have always done in the past. You definitely have a winner here! It compliments you other items very well. Keep up the good work, those of us in the Heli community do appreciate your efforts. I must add that nothing could be easier or quicker to use to lock the flybar in place.
Thank you, and....
Fly safely!
Almsy
Mattoon, IL
almsy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #27
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by almsy View Post
Rick,
The flybar lock you graciously sent me to try works great on my 450SA. I have upgraded to metal all the original plastic parts except for the blade grips over the last 2 years on the SA and it fit perfectly. Your design is so easy to slip into place and it locks the flybar securely without any issues whatsoever. It is so easy to use, there is no reason not to use it, even for a quick pitch check. I was able to verify what I had suspected for awhile, my negative pitch was a bit greater than the positive and it allowed me to make adjustments without 'eyeballing' the flybar as I have always done in the past. You definitely have a winner here! It compliments you other items very well. Keep up the good work, those of us in the Heli community do appreciate your efforts. I must add that nothing could be easier or quicker to use to lock the flybar in place.
Thank you, and....
Fly safely!
Almsy
Mattoon, IL
I'm so glad to hear that Almsy! Everyone has liked them so far that I know of. Someone is sending me a Sport Head, and I'm buying a Pro, so I'll make locks for them also. Thanks much for taking the time to post. That was a perfect ending to a great day!

Rick
Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Flying Foot Doc
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rick, Let me know when you get teh V2 tool done, I'll take one. I have tried all sorts of things to get teh head dialed in & it just keeps fightting me. Maybe this will help. Andy
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #29
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Foot Doc View Post
Rick, Let me know when you get teh V2 tool done, I'll take one. I have tried all sorts of things to get teh head dialed in & it just keeps fightting me. Maybe this will help. Andy
The V1 and V2 tool are the same. Email me at rlohr@nycap.rr.com. Hopefully it will help you out.

Rick
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #30
caralmar
Registered Users

Hey Rick, I'm finally back to the land of the living out of the Thanksgiving bloated haze! I got my Sport head. Brand spanking new bud, still sealed in bags. I'll try to get it out to you tomorrow sometime!
AMA #934662
caralmar is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #31
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Hey Rick, I'm finally back to the land of the living out of the Thanksgiving bloated haze! I got my Sport head. Brand spanking new bud, still sealed in bags. I'll try to get it out to you tomorrow sometime!
Great. I look forward to it. DougB gave me a good start at how to do it so I'm looking forward to perfecting it on your Sport head. I really appreciate you sending me the head and the help everyone has been giving me on these! I'm glad they are helping people out!

Rick
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #32
caralmar
Registered Users

Yeah, I bought some servos from him a week ago! Hey, do you have a 220mm flybar and a swash leveler for the Sport/Pro? Do you need the swash leveler too? I have a TrueBlood leveler... but not sure if you need that for calibrating the head. Let me know and I'll throw it in the box too.
AMA #934662
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #33
caralmar
Registered Users

Ignore my last post. I just sealed the box. Leveler and flybar are in there too... just in case. It was either finish packing it right now or at 6:45 tomorrow morning. And at that time of the morning, I could have mistakenly sent you a can of sardines instead of the rotor head!
AMA #934662
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #34
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

LOL. All are appreciated. Sardines are good too.
Rick
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #35
caralmar
Registered Users

Ok, just got back from the Post Office. Sardines in the mail!
AMA #934662
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #36
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Ok, just got back from the Post Office. Sardines in the mail!
Great. Thanks!
Rick
Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #37
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Thanks to dougb and caralmar, we know have a TREX 450 Sport Flybar Lock. Dougb filed me an initial rough idea and caralmar sent me his Sport head so I could perfect it. Came out pretty sweet if I do say so myself.

How does it look?
Rick
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #38
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Freebie: TREX 450 Sport Flybar Lock

Freebies to the first two people that PM me with your shipping name and address. In return, simply post pictures showing you get full range of motion with your flybar lock in place. I made the locks with a raw head and I'm pretty sure I accounted for all the motion but this will verify it for me.

Thanks
Rick

Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #39
Andyzboy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wait, would this work on a v2? Disregard my pm if it wont, thanks!
Andyzboy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #40
eclipso104
Registered Users

wow that is neat.. I will take one
eclipso104 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

450 Aftermarket Upgrades 450 Aftermarket Upgrades