Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > 3D Printing

3D Printing Discuss 3D printed items and 3D printers as they relate to RC

Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
apexx
Registered Users

Default Does anyone 3d print their own repair parts?

There are a variety of 3d printers available now, and the cost continues to drop.

Has anyone made their own repair parts for their helis using one of these printers?

Is it just too great a cost to produce at home? Does the cost per part exceed the price of parts from a good vendor?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexx View Post
There are a variety of 3d printers available now, and the cost continues to drop.

Has anyone made their own repair parts for their helis using one of these printers?

Is it just too great a cost to produce at home? Does the cost per part exceed the price of parts from a good vendor?
I can't imagine the the time involved to design and print a part is worth it at this point in time. 3D printers are great for prototyping, but not mass production. I did'nt realize the cost had come down to the point where people are using them at home. We had a couple that were rented at work.

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
apexx
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

In my research, I believe you can even obtain 3d scanners that will scan an existing part into the required format, and then you can build a catalog of the parts you require. Of course this adds to the expense of the 3d printer setup.

Here is an example of someone who designed a quad and printed it for flight.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10753
There are a couple other examples. In one a gentleman made his main blades, but they shattered upon impact, not good.

However gears, cases, landing skids, heads, could these be essentially manufactured in a home heli shop?

I know a maker bot is not inexpensive (about $2k for the current 2 head version), but I would be using it for other things as well.
http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Airworks
Registered Users

you can build one now for fairly cheap , same with those "cnc"phlat/ printers. fairly big over in the foamie planker world.

heres another place you can send stuff to, your computer /cad/ 3d built model , and they make for you.cheap too!
http://www.shapeways.com/gallery/gadgets
Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexx View Post
In my research, I believe you can even obtain 3d scanners that will scan an existing part into the required format, and then you can build a catalog of the parts you require. Of course this adds to the expense of the 3d printer setup.
I had no idea that you can scan in a 3d part. If you can really do that, assuming the printed part has decent strength, that would be quite cool.

Rick
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
aclysma
Registered Users

Generally it's ABS plastic. It can't do anything fine like machine threads. You'll have to use self tapping screws or glue in some sort of insert. The printed part is also kind of ugly (at least the ones from the hobby machines I've seen) but you could sand it down.

My opinion is that it's not worth it unless you simply cannot get the part by any other method. I would absolutely not use it on anything high stress but something like a gyro tray might be fine.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Natewin
Registered Users

Funny that gyro tray was mentioned. I've done exactly that part for the between-frame gyro tray in a 450 pro.
I've also used 3D printing to make camera mounts for a Contour HD camera for my 450 and 550.
Actually I made a 4 blade rotor head for me mSRX as well, it is somewhere on he forum.
I've printed parts using a Dimension 768 and a Fortus 400mc. The machines that can do ABS or PC or PC/ABS are best for this stuff as the parts are stronger than other rapid prototype materials.
Natewin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
SQRT(-2)
Registered Users

I would not do spinning parts. I would not trust the strength.

If I can get some software and figure it out, I would love to use Shapeways to do some details for some scale stuff. Sadly most of the software is more 'artsy' and less 'drafty' for my needs. I'll find one sooner or later though!
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
ahahn
Registered Users

My impression, having seen some of these parts, is that they are great to actually see a 3D part, but that there is no real strength in them, in other words, I am not sure they are actually functioning parts.

Could be wrong.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Airworks
Registered Users

i can see most people don't click the link and see the detail , materials , or quality the newer machines can produce. or that you ahve getting the object polished , or made of metal. and new stronger , and flexable materials.
lol
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Varc
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I actually have a friend in France that is printing a 1/28 scale RC car body of my 2000 Honda Insight to be used on the Kyosho Mini-Z AWD chassis. He has also designed parts for the chassis to be used specifically for the narrower Insight body. This body's weight is comparable to the factory one, and is durable enough for racing. I should be getting it sometime this fall.

I have asked him if he could 3D print scale fuselages for the MCPX as well. But that maybe harder to do and might not be light enough for flying.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
aclysma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airworks View Post
i can see most people don't click the link and see the detail , materials , or quality the newer machines can produce. or that you ahve getting the object polished , or made of metal. and new stronger , and flexable materials.
lol
I looked at it. It would be useful in niche cases like scale, out of production helis, improvements, etc. but the general "I broke X and need to replace it" case if you have to send off to have it made you might as well get the "real" part.

I would love to see an "open" frame design that is continuously improved that could be ordered through a source like that but the "open" process brings its share of challenges to a project like that.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Airworks
Registered Users

yeh , not much thinking in the fact of "replacing" an rc part , jsut the value of the machine on many levels of stuff.hahi'd love to have one , id be makin all sorts of things for no apparent need or use of jsut things.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
SQRT(-2)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
. . .I have asked him if he could 3D print scale fuselages for the MCPX as well. But that maybe harder to do and might not be light enough for flying.
Print a plug then vacuform a body from that. Look it up, you can vacuform with a shop vac and a simple jig you make. Heck in the 50s there was a toy you did it with!

Found one in grandma's basement. Does not work, but cool.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
badfrog
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
I actually have a friend in France that is printing a 1/28 scale RC car body of my 2000 Honda Insight to be used on the Kyosho Mini-Z AWD chassis. He has also designed parts for the chassis to be used specifically for the narrower Insight body. This body's weight is comparable to the factory one, and is durable enough for racing. I should be getting it sometime this fall.

I have asked him if he could 3D print scale fuselages for the MCPX as well. But that maybe harder to do and might not be light enough for flying.
Even if he can't make flyable fuselages, he could make great vacuform molds I would think...
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
im4711
Registered Users

My HF Map location

interesting idea. Cool how much price came down. However for r/c helis? would not know what parts really make sense that would hold up to the flying. Most of the parts I would need are aluminum and cf. So cool but not for this hobby.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
Print a plug then vacuform a body from that. Look it up, you can vacuform with a shop vac and a simple jig you make. Heck in the 50s there was a toy you did it with!

Found one in grandma's basement. Does not work, but cool.
I had one of those. It was awesome.
Rick
Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
weng
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
I had one of those. It was awesome.
Rick
I hate to admit it but I had one also. Loved it.

I also have a 3-D printer, a Dimension SST made by Stratasys. I use it to prototype parts for customers in the medical, military and consumer goods industries. I have used it for everything from bird feeders to color night vision housings.
I have also used it to make scale parts that are not presently available for myself and others. I also have, and can use, Solidworks to create the files to make parts.
The parts are ABS and while they are quite rugged, about 75% the strength of injection molded ABS, they are no where strong enough for head or tail parts.
I have used it for things like swash leveling tools, flybar (remember those) holders and things like that.

JW
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
apexx
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awesome comments everyone! I suspected the ABS would be too fragile for rotating assembly and other high speed parts. Thanks for confirming.

I like the idea of printing a scale fuselage or vacuum forming bodies. Great ideas!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #20
satgod
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i've made a few parts for repairs
the parts cost for the part itself is little to nothing

the over all cost is high
printer, filament (resin if sla printer)
time to design and print

it adds up but if you need something that will keep you down for a week or 2 and you can make it in 30-60 minutes why not
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > 3D Printing

3D Printing Discuss 3D printed items and 3D printers as they relate to RC