Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
Zoot
Registered Users

Question Roman Pirozek Investigation Results?

Has there been any official results published regarding Roman Pirozek Jr. fatal RC Helicopter accident in Brooklyn, NY last September?

I can't seem to find anything searching Google.

What organization is investigating? AMA, FAA, NYPD?
Zoot is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
HeliNY
Registered Users

The city was launching an investigation and halting all flying in the park until it reached a conclusion. I have not heard anything since that announcement at the time of the accident. There is a picture of Roman which shows the extent of the injury, it is so disturbing I don't think I'd fly a large heli anymore. May he rest in peace and his family find some kind of closure. My heart is with them.
HeliNY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Calil
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliNY View Post
The city was launching an investigation and halting all flying in the park until it reached a conclusion. I have not heard anything since that announcement at the time of the accident. There is a picture of Roman which shows the extent of the injury, it is so disturbing I don't think I'd fly a large heli anymore. May he rest in peace and his family find some kind of closure. My heart is with them.
I saw that picture also. But I wouldn't stop flying big helis because of that.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
ddj74
Registered Users

I've seen worse from car accidents. No reason to stop driving. Fly a safe distance and be safe to yourself and others.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Bananaslug
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's given me a whole new respect for these things and honestly, I've never felt the same about them after seeing that.
MKS 950/980
SK540
Bananaslug is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
farn
Registered Users

Quote:
There is a picture of Roman which shows the extent of the injury, it is so disturbing I don't think I'd fly a large heli anymore
Here in Switzerland where I live, there was as well a deadly rc heli accident in 2013. It's an absolutely no go to publish pictures like theese on the internet. With a google search everyone can see them on the front page. I can't imagine that his family agree with this. I think, that theese pictures offend Roman's honor.
farn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
DCflyer
Registered Users

Agreed with the above............I don't know how that picture got leaked or who leaked it. But however it happened, it needs to stop. There is no need for the general public to see him like that. That is between him, his family, and investigators.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
newbheliusr
Registered Users

Default Roman Pirozek Investigation Results?

Once they're on the internet they're not ever going away.

Not saying it's right. But some like gore. Anyone remember the faces of death videos? It's no different than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
HeliNY
Registered Users

If that was my son I'd take whoever took and released that picture to court. Have it taken down or else.
HeliNY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Twill
Registered Users

I have not seen it and made it a point not to. That's just disrespectful. IMO

I would like to know what happened with the city.
Twill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
SamCassidy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it was a good thing it was posted. It is in the back of my mind every time I fly. It's a lot more appropriate than say the pictures of people jumping from the wtc on 9/11..
Team HardCore
SamCassidy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #12
desertstalker
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliNY View Post
If that was my son I'd take whoever took and released that picture to court. Have it taken down or else.
This is impossible, the image is in too many places now. Any legal action is only likely to make more people aware of the images (and curiosity will compel many to look).

Better to just let it fade into obscurity.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
rchelijc
Registered Users

It's extremely saddening. I'm watching my 2 year old growing up and loving my helis and all I can think of is.. What if.

My lesson learnt is, Judging from injuries, a hovering / slow moving heli is far more dangerous than one in FFF. So you see one hovering nearby by a tool in a public place, run for it.

PRTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Don S
Registered Users

So no cause identified yet?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
H2SO4
Registered Users

I don't think the root cause at an RC level should matter all that much to anyone. The blades of a large heli went through his head. Whether that was caused by pilot error or equipment failure makes little difference since both situations occur regularly to all who fly.

As for the picture, in normal circumstances there is nothing for the wider public to learn from seeing a body, but the uniqueness of this tragedy potentially makes the picture educational for others who fly large RC aircraft, confronting as it may be. "This is the effect of a 700-sized heli colliding with a human body." Anyone who doesn't start being (even more) careful after seeing that pic is somewhat irrational.
H2SO4 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
KSHeli
Registered Users

And what can you legal action, being being stupid and inconsiderate? He was in a public environment, the individual that uploaded the image should have had their thought processes engaged, but they didn't. The pic should never have taken let alone uploaded. Get out and see what the kids are uploading nowadays there isn't much thought going online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
This is impossible, the image is in too many places now. Any legal action is only likely to make more people aware of the images (and curiosity will compel many to look).

Better to just let it fade into obscurity.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
Russell Harding
Registered Users

The photograph shows his body on top of some sort of tarp or blanket. It was clearly leaked by police or other entity involved in the investigation.

Disgraceful.

I agree on these points: the exact cause doesn't really matter. We know that flying too close and equipment failures can cause accidents. It could have been either but we need to be aware of both possibilities if we choose to fly a large model helicopter.

For those that are simply curious, let me describe my analysis the day of the accident as a paramedic: in a busy city with trauma surgeons close by, paramedics don't leave a body on scene unless there are injuries incompatible with life.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #18
farn
Registered Users

Quote:
tragedy potentially makes the picture educational for others who fly large RC aircraft
If I go to an RC Heli school thats education, I think, but not a picture like that. On a package of cigarettes there are pictures of damages caused by smoking.
Maybe we will have this soon as well on a RC Heli kit. Everybody doing something needs education but not with pictures of harmed bodies. A lot of things we do in our lives have the potential to be dangerous.
farn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
Don S
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I don't think the root cause at an RC level should matter all that much to anyone. The blades of a large heli went through his head. Whether that was caused by pilot error or equipment failure makes little difference since both situations occur regularly to all who fly.

As for the picture, in normal circumstances there is nothing for the wider public to learn from seeing a body, but the uniqueness of this tragedy potentially makes the picture educational for others who fly large RC aircraft, confronting as it may be. "This is the effect of a 700-sized heli colliding with a human body." Anyone who doesn't start being (even more) careful after seeing that pic is somewhat irrational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
The photograph shows his body on top of some sort of tarp or blanket. It was clearly leaked by police or other entity involved in the investigation.

Disgraceful.

I agree on these points: the exact cause doesn't really matter. We know that flying too close and equipment failures can cause accidents. It could have been either but we need to be aware of both possibilities if we choose to fly a large model helicopter.

For those that are simply curious, let me describe my analysis the day of the accident as a paramedic: in a busy city with trauma surgeons close by, paramedics don't leave a body on scene unless there are injuries incompatible with life.
I didn't ask about pictures.

The cause should always matter, IMO.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
LN400
Registered Users

Just a couple of thoughts.

I don't see how that picture (which I have not seen nor wish to see) has any educational value whatsoever. I don't need a picture to explain what damage 700mm blades can do. The reports on the 4(?) deaths last year is all I need to rest assured those blades are potentially devastating, if I hadn't already thought about what could possibly happen. The flying lawnmower analogy is not far fetched. A picture won't add anything in the education dept.

As for education: How do you reach out to people who are in denial? How about those who are convinced all bad things always happen to everyone else? How do you do your part to keep people from maiming or killing themselves out of ignorance? Should you bother? Why not? Would you take onboard warnings and headsups from others, other people's experience or should you learn everything, invent the wheel so to speak, all over again on your own? Why or why not?

If one won't ask oneself these questions, then I don't see how education is possible and we will run around reinventing the wheel over and over again, not because we have to but because we think we have to.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote

Tags
fatal crash, roman pirozek

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety