Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #1
kodack10
Registered Users

Default Having orientation trouble with FPV on 130x

I know the 130 like a body part and flying eyes on is no problem at all. I recently started FPV with a 7" LCD and 2.5mm lens and my first FPV heli flight was almost a disaster. I was all over the place, had a difficult time maintaining an altitude, and landing was hair raising. I have no depth perception and the fish eye view makes it very difficult to determine the heli's position.

The biggest problem though is I don't have any point of reference to tell if I'm level or not, so I find myself flying all over the place. It was 8mph winds today and I was ready to blame that but when I looked at my heli instead of the monitor, it flew precise and true.

Is it that my brain is wired for looking at the rotor and boom for orientation, or am I missing something?

Align Trex 250 DFC, Align Trex 150 DFC, Blade 450x, 180 CFX, BSR, 130x with 150x Lynx stretch and CNC upgrades, 130x bone stock, MCPX BL, Nano CPX
kodack10 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Cpl Woody
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodack10 View Post
I know the 130 like a body part and flying eyes on is no problem at all. I recently started FPV with a 7" LCD and 2.5mm lens and my first FPV heli flight was almost a disaster. I was all over the place, had a difficult time maintaining an altitude, and landing was hair raising. I have no depth perception and the fish eye view makes it very difficult to determine the heli's position.

The biggest problem though is I don't have any point of reference to tell if I'm level or not, so I find myself flying all over the place. It was 8mph winds today and I was ready to blame that but when I looked at my heli instead of the monitor, it flew precise and true.

Is it that my brain is wired for looking at the rotor and boom for orientation, or am I missing something?
Practice practice practice. Ensure that your camera is level and that will give you a close basis for level flight. As for maintaining altitude it just takes practice. I used to fly strictly Naza based multirotors FPV then I switched to an FPV mini. It took me damn near six months before I had full control of it.

Personally the monitor is the hardest to learn on. You constantly have to fight yourself not to look up at it all the time. With goggles you are kinda just in it and forced to fly it. Just a little tid bit for you.
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
kodack10
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I can't use goggles where I fly the most though, bystanders and traffic. I need to be able to look up and keep situational awareness like a little kid chasing my heli or cars approaching. I think I may go with a longer lens. It will increase the crop factor a bit but I think my head may make better sense of the images. Fisheye tends to magnify things in the center and bend the horizon making it hard to tell if you're level.

On an aside I got a Nano QX FPV today and out of the box I had no problem flying around under my kitchen table chairs using the same setup. I mounted the LCD to my radio now and I think that helps a little as the monitor becomes level with my sticks neutral positions.

Align Trex 250 DFC, Align Trex 150 DFC, Blade 450x, 180 CFX, BSR, 130x with 150x Lynx stretch and CNC upgrades, 130x bone stock, MCPX BL, Nano CPX
kodack10 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft